GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,191
0 members and 1,191 guests
No Members online

Old 02-21-2003, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Military Personnel-Deployed/Activated

Has anyone been "touched" by the countless soldiers activated, on-call, or has been deployed to serve overseas?

I don't have any family members, but 1 Soror in my chapter has been sent to Texas; one co-worker has been sent away.

It's amazing to see that the powers that be normally do not have sons, daughters, etc. deployed to serve. I guess that's why they are so quick to say we are "going to war".
Old 02-21-2003, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Isn't that the truth. I work for a congressman and we get calls all day from veterans who are ticked off because very few congressmen/senators have children in the military.

In addition, even though families who have love ones in the military understand that their love one chose to serve, they are still ticked off by this war as well.

(What is the deal with GC?)
Old 02-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Tru_Believer

I am an active duty Army officer as is my husband and we try to spend as much time together as possible as we wait for our day. The U.S. has its hands in so much, we arent even sure where will go. Kuwait, Turkey, Afghanistan, or Bosnia (yes we are still there).

Its OK though , we realize ithat it is the life we have chosen for ourselves.

Keep all soldiers in your prayers.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
One of my chapter sorors, an Army reserve captain, is stationed in Germany, I found out last night. We're not sure when she will return.

As to the other point, of course wealthy people's children aren't going to be in the service voluntarily. So yeah, you can get war-geeked if it's not your kid. My nephew, fortunately, just aged out if the draft were ever to be reinstated.

Last edited by Steeltrap; 02-23-2003 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Being that I live in a military community (Fort Stewart, GA) which is home to the 3rd Infantry Division, we as a community are somewhat used to the soldiers in our area being deployed. They are ALWAYS among the first divisions to be deployed. We prayed that it wouldn't happen again after the Gulf War/Desert Storm which had a tremendous economic impact on our city. Unlike before we now have a lot of National Guard and Army Reserve members here...some of whom have brought their families with them. I have friends who are in the reserves (Marines) that have been pulled out of college and are now activated and training. My brother, who is in the Navy, will be leaving in a couple of weeks to go out to sea for eight months. So far it's supposed to be a "routine" rotation, but with our President pushing for war there is no telling what may happen in eight months.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Alot of people I know have been deployed:

My friend's husband (newlyweds) is in the Army
My friend's father (Marines)
My friend's boyfriend (Marines)

I work at a school and a number of my children's parents have been called as well.

THIS SUCKS totally!
Old 02-22-2003, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
Personally, my cousin has been deployed. He is in the Navy and is also a newlywed. It is tearing my aunt to pieces because he is an only child. She has not heard from him in a while, but my grandfather told her that "No news is good news". We are unsure of his exact location and this is not helping my aunt at all. I am prayng that we do not go to war, although with Bush it surely looks that way.

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 03-12-2003, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I received a "Junk" email from a so and so. Usually, I don't open junk email. I'm glad I did. It was from Soror Almighty14. She has been deployed. She cannot tell where she is, but she did send a address.

If anyone is interested "holla".

Old 03-12-2003, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
As to the other point, of course wealthy people's children aren't going to be in the service voluntarily. So yeah, you can get war-geeked if it's not your kid.
Exactly. I guess this was the whole problem during Vietnam--that, unlike WWII, those going into war (without a proper "excuse") were disproportionately working class (and African-American). Luckily, the SSS has equalized the draft requirements--ie, a college student only has one semester of deferment; if he is a senior, he can complete his year.

The only exception to that is that children of VERY high ranking officers (generals/admirals) who attend service academies. Since Pop's usually a hawk, the kids are usually pretty enthusiastic about going to war, too.

I don't know (knock on wood) anyone who's been deployed yet. My family's pretty military heavy, and someone could be gone without my knowing it. Ack.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Tom Joyner has a segment where families can call in and "shout out" to loved ones in the military. This one lady calls in doing her "shout out" to her daughter who is Kuwait. Her daughter is 18 years old. The daughter graduated from high school in June, signed up before she graduated from HS. After that, she attended the camp and graduated in November. She came home in November, then was called off in February.

Tom and his crew asked the mother why did her daughter enlist in the military when they knew the circumstances going on. The mother said she was not "aware" of the goings on. EVERYTHING after September 11th said that war was in the near future.

Anyway, is signing up for the military a viable option for youngsters? This girl and her best friend are 18 and in Kuwait in the middle of a world showdown. Prayerfully, they and the others will return, but to graduate from high school and possible placed on the front line is something one should consider.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-25-2003, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
Tom Joyner has a segment where families can call in and "shout out" to loved ones in the military. This one lady calls in doing her "shout out" to her daughter who is Kuwait. Her daughter is 18 years old. The daughter graduated from high school in June, signed up before she graduated from HS. After that, she attended the camp and graduated in November. She came home in November, then was called off in February.

Was she from Columbus, OHio? That sounds like one of my former students who MISSED her graduation to go to boot camp. This student was even MORE gung ho to go to the army AFTER 9/11.

Ain't no way, I would sign up if I were a future graduate. NO WAY.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
I don't think it is. There are too many young people who sign up for the armed forces for the wrong reasons. I have a friend who is 19 and is also fighting overseas. He graduated from high school and the next day was shipped off to Paris Island. That was his first real time away from his parents and the war is now his second. The reason why he joined was because of all the promises of receiving a free education. I now pray that he returns in order to receive it. The commercials that they show for joining the Army, Navy, Marines, etc. does not show the bad side of what will occur if there is a war. I think when recruiting they should allow the potential enlistee to see ALL that the armed forces really are. That's just my $.02!

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 03-25-2003, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

CT4...

No. She graduated in June, but right after that, she was off to do the camp.

I want to know is the "money" (cause it's not THAT much), benefits, and other perks worth it? WE are the ones out there loosing lives and becoming POWs.

I'm talking about these young ones. I might need to ask some of these kids on campus if they are planning on signing up for the military. These recruiters are around here like "white on rice."

No offense to those in the military or those veterans. I just have a problem with US being pimped to fight other people's battles.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
My late father spent 21 years in the Navy. He enlisted in 1943, when the forces were still segregated. He disliked the service intensely, but he bore down and snagged the bennies, including a decent amount of retirement pay. He retired as a senior CPO.

Additionally, my dad and mom, thanks to the VA loan program, bought a house for $18K back in 1967, when ordinary people in Cali could afford property. We still have that crib today -- it's value has went up more than tenfold.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. IMO, without the military and the civilian public sector (teachers, et al), we wouldn't have a black middle class. But I would also be uneasy if I were a teacher and military recruiters were crawling all over my campus, especially if COLLEGE recruiters aren't making an effort.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

First I want to say HELLO to EVERYONE !!!!!! I haven't posted in a very long time due to school/work and work, and work, and work/school issues (lol). I missed being here as I will try to frequent more often.

I hope everyone is healthy, safe, and fine under the circumstances in which we are all living in now.

Actually, the money is not that great (I was and somewhat still am considering the Reserves as an "addition" to a career option). My recruiter is on point. But unfortunately not all of them are. In some branches, it's a numbers game and the more recruits signed up, the more rewards for that recruiter. For full time enlistees (those primarily w/o college background) and those that attend OTS or Officers Training School (those w/a college background), everything is basically paid for (free of charge), room, board, "work clothing", and as far as the money for college is concerned, that person has to pay into it for up to a year before they can receive any benefits. So it's important to read into the fine print.

However, everything begins with research. There are plenty of sites available to let one know what they can expect, from graduating BMT (or bootcamp) to jobs/careers and benefits and even the monthly pay rate.

If one has an open and honest Recruiter, than they will be told the truth. It is an oath that they are taking to defend America against all enemies (whoever the "Powers that be" deem) foreign and domestic.....with their LIFE and that is something else.

Last edited by Eastcoast Sunshine; 03-25-2003 at 03:21 PM.