Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,431
3 members and 1,428 guests
FSUZeta, Toeshoes

Old 06-27-2005, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Re-starting SK Alumnae Chapter in MN

Any Sig Kaps in the Twin Cities/Minnesota area? I am looking to try to re-start the alumnae chapter there. I know it may not be that exciting considering the closest chapter is at Iowa State, but I would love if we could get it going again! Please let me know if you are a Sigma Kappa in the area or know someone who is! Thanks!

I have also contacted National and they are steering me in the right direction...FYI. Just thought I would use this as an avenue to get the word out as well.

LISK <3

"You used Ghostbusters for evil!" - Liz Lemon

Last edited by sigmaK619; 06-28-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to you! I've been encountering some hurdles trying to re-organize the Houston AST alum chapter. The most significant, trying to find an ice breaking activity that people of significantly different ages, who don't know each, other will come to! I would appreciate hearing any ideas you'll be using.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Try a Wine Tasting. PM me as I used to give them when I was with the Winery!

Try to have at a central location at someones house.

Can buy wine at a discount Beverage center, plus non sharp cheese or non salted crackers.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-30-2005, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep, wine tasting knows no age boundaries. VERY popular with our group (we do actual winery tours).
Old 06-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Banned

A good idea for those who like wine... but... some people.. like me, are allergic to wine. It will also alienate any diabetics, people with other health problems, those who don't drink for religious reasons, and tea-tottlers in general. Honestly, if I was invited to a wine-tasting informational meeting, I wouldn't go. I would feel wierd because I couldn't join in.

A wine tasting would probably be better for one of your optional monthly get-togethers. I would be careful not to discourage prospective members who don't drink -- especially at an introductory meeting.

What do you think of having a Self Defense class? You could probably get a local judo, karate, or tae kwon do school to do it for free. (They always give free seminars in the hopes of gaining new students).

You could make up invitations that say, something like, "Get a Kick out of AST's new alumnae chapter" or "You'll FLIP over AST's new alumnae chapter"

Have everyone come in sweats, and join in if they like-- and have chairs in the back in case some want to just watch. This starts things off on a more casual basis-- as everyone will be practicing kicks, punches and throws together, and having a good laugh.

Afterwards, you can serve refreshments and socialize.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

or yoga, or pilates or spinning, or tai chi. older members could even join in class on the tai chi.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of finer hotels will have a chocolate buffet on one night of the week, which is always good and yummy. You can make a group booking and everyone pays their own way.

I personally am not big on Tupperware, Partylite, Scrapbooking or The Pampered Chef, because I want to meet and hang with my sisters, not listen to some schill sales presentation.