GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,410
4 members and 1,406 guests
Cookiez17, shadokat

Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
Charles River Apparel Windbreaker Sizing

Hey All,
My sorority wanted to order these jackets:

I'm a little confused about the sizing. Do we order based on chest size? Do we order one size smaller than normal sizing (the jackets are unisex sized). I emailed the company we planned on ordering from and while they were great with answering all my other questions they just confused me even more with sizing.

I figured since these jackets seem to be popular on most campuses maybe someone thats placed an order for these before can offer advice.

Thanks!
Jess

Last edited by OHNOITSJESS; 04-08-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say that they run big. I'm sure that most women would fit in a small or medium. My small measures roughly 23 inches armpit to armpit, and roughly 22 inches from the neck to the waistline.
-GKC

Last edited by txpacer; 04-08-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Charles River does run big. I believe my AEPhi windbreaker from there is a Large, because I always layered under it and wore it everywhere! But it swam on me otherwise. And my Equestrian Team just ordered jackets from Charles River last season and I bought myself a Medium - as I was in between a Small and Medium. Definitely could have used a Small! When in doubt, I'd say go with the smaller size.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
so is it safe to approximate that if i order one size smaller than everyones normal shirt size i should be ok? I know my size for sure, XS (i ‘m tiny so i'll still be swimming in it). It makes me so nervous to order shirts and stuff for everyone because of not being sure of how to size them.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I think one size smaller will be fine for us

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

The thing to remember is that it is unisex sizing. To me that means it run a bit large, to fit both men and women.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
Charles River does run big. I believe my AEPhi windbreaker from there is a Large, because I always layered under it and wore it everywhere! But it swam on me otherwise. And my Equestrian Team just ordered jackets from Charles River last season and I bought myself a Medium - as I was in between a Small and Medium. Definitely could have used a Small! When in doubt, I'd say go with the smaller size.
Unisex sizing does run about a size larger than women's sized items. I think it's safe to say that if you wear a medium in women's, you'd wear a small in unisex.

If it's a piece that is often layered (I believe this style has a flannel lining), I'd probably ask each girl what size they want. Everyone's built differently. Some girls in between sizes might want the larger size if it's an outer garment. If you have more real estate upstairs, it might be a good idea to go with the larger size. I can wear a size M in Unisex, but only if I want it fitted (only a single light layer underneath). Otherwise, I order a size L in unisex if I intend to layer it.

I think that t-shirts are easier to size, because most people wear them on their own (maybe a light layer underneath as a fashion choice).

Old 04-09-2010, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ Plus, the insulated jackets we ordered were in Women's sizes... http://www.charlesriverapparel.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L529CDC0A8D4253007CE609N+A01+ENG

Still huge Hope that helps.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I would just order everyone smalls. All the sororities on my campus have then and everyone gets smalls. Maybe mediums if you have any heavier girls but there isn't a significant difference in size between the smalls and mediums. They run bigger than t-shirts so if girls wear a medium or large t-shirt they probably still want a small jacket.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't order smalls for everyone. Those of us who are taller girls hate hate hate clothing with arms and torsos that are too short for us. Let the girls decide, but give them a deadline and info (such as that the jackets run big).
Old 04-09-2010, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleparrot View Post
I would just order everyone smalls. All the sororities on my campus have then and everyone gets smalls. Maybe mediums if you have any heavier girls but there isn't a significant difference in size between the smalls and mediums. They run bigger than t-shirts so if girls wear a medium or large t-shirt they probably still want a small jacket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Don't order smalls for everyone. Those of us who are taller girls hate hate hate clothing with arms and torsos that are too short for us. Let the girls decide, but give them a deadline and info (such as that the jackets run big).
Or if you're bigger on top. Anything more than a B-cup, and you likely will need the next size up. At my thinnest at 5'2" and around 110, I wore a 4 on the bottom and 8/10 on top (sucks to buy dresses, I have to get everything tailored!). I agree with Southbymidwest. Let the girls decide.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I agree with going a size down from a women's shirt size. That has always worked for me. If people have doubts, tell them to go to target and grab a men's sweatshirt and get back to you by XX date with the choice. Then the size they chose was on them and not you.