GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,572
2 members and 1,570 guests
PrettyBoy, Xidelt

Old 11-11-2006, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Pi Kappa Phi Chapter "Interim Suspension" -- Blackface Incident (George Mason U)

An NBC affiliate reports that Pi Kappa Phi has put its George Mason U. chapter on “an interim suspension” for an incident involving blackface at a party:

http://www.nbc4.com/news/10294493/detail.html

Excerpts from article:

. . . The controversy started when photos from an off-campus Halloween party of a white student in blackface and chains showed up on the Web site Facebook.com with a caption that called the costume "The Runaway Slave," News4's Michael Flynn reported.
School officials said the student was photographed at a party thrown by the fraternity Pi Kappa Phi.
. . . A statement released by Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity CEO Mark E. Timmes said an interim suspension has been imposed on the GMU chapter due to the incident.

You'd think people would know better.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

The article doesn't have much info. Was there any indication the idiot was a member of the fraternity?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

time to break it down for you fools

Time for the future of filmmaking to hit it up. I'm a pissed off alumni that knows what this chapter is about and knows that this is bs. There's no racism here in this fraternity. Anyone that thinks so is racist and can go screw themselves cuz honestly i am mixed and know that people created this issue to form segregation. Yeah i'm part white and park black fuck you, you dont know shit about racism, i'm credible cuz i'm the best of both worlds. anyone black,anyone white..well fuck you unless your mixed you dont know anything about racism. Does anyone know that one of the white guys dressed as a slave and one of the black guys dressed like a master, just as a creative way to express an idea that times have changed and we're all diverse. of course you didnt you dont know shit about the real world. The media created this issue to form tension because it generates news. fuck them...the future of filmmaking is here and in two years the media is gonna be ripped apart by me and the next-gen. The next generation of filmmaking will prevail over bullshit media and the shit they make you believe. And just to let you know this chapter is mixed 50, 50 with plenty of hispanic,black,and even different orientation'ed brothers and i love all my brothers. god bless pi kappa phi,and fuck the rest of you including nbc eat my ass. the truth is here. btw mason police is racist and they pulled me over and saw that i was mostly white and let me go. now thats the real racism people with cops racist against groups and college kids.fuck mason,eat a dick i left your school because of it.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurefilmmaker View Post
Time for the future of filmmaking to hit it up. I'm a pissed off alumni that knows what this chapter is about and knows that this is bs. There's no racism here in this fraternity. Anyone that thinks so is racist and can go screw themselves cuz honestly i am mixed and know that people created this issue to form segregation. Yeah i'm part white and park black fuck you, you dont know shit about racism, i'm credible cuz i'm the best of both worlds. anyone black,anyone white..well fuck you unless your mixed you dont know anything about racism. Does anyone know that one of the white guys dressed as a slave and one of the black guys dressed like a master, just as a creative way to express an idea that times have changed and we're all diverse. of course you didnt you dont know shit about the real world. The media created this issue to form tension because it generates news. fuck them...the future of filmmaking is here and in two years the media is gonna be ripped apart by me and the next-gen. The next generation of filmmaking will prevail over bullshit media and the shit they make you believe. And just to let you know this chapter is mixed 50, 50 with plenty of hispanic,black,and even different orientation'ed brothers and i love all my brothers. god bless pi kappa phi,and fuck the rest of you including nbc eat my ass. the truth is here. btw mason police is racist and they pulled me over and saw that i was mostly white and let me go. now thats the real racism people with cops racist against groups and college kids.fuck mason,eat a dick i left your school because of it.
Easily the worst post of all time. That being said, it was on facebook, who gives a crap. I find people cursing on their profiles offensive. If I find a member doing that, will nationals suspend their chapter too? Let people do what they want. If anything, the kid should be suspended, not the chapter.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

I completely understand how blackface is construed by most as racially offensive.

That said, the actions of a member, or even the group are no reason to shut down a chapter -- especially from the school's point of view. The school's job is to make sure everyone is physically safe while getting a good education. Becoming the anti-offensive material police goes a bit beyond the scope of what they ought to be focusing on.

Now, if Pi Kappa Phi's HQ feels the need to step in here, terrific -- by all means -- do so. Otherwise, there should be no consequences whatsoever for this or any other act which stops at being only offensive.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-01-2006, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurefilmmaker View Post
wow... I don't know anything about racism because I'm not mixed.... mmmmmmkay, buddy. I'm glad you love your bruhs but the media didn't create the tension, that jackass who dressed in blackface created the tension. Ted Koppel didn't force him to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
Easily the worst post of all time.
I actually agree with you for once on a controversial thread. Just about the post being terrible though. We'll debate later if I can get some work done.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

LOL. I'm glad at least someone read that dumb post.

GMU had a forum to discuss this incident weeks ago and the issue has more or less died down and been used as an educational tool instead of a media spectacle. I think that's how such incidents should be handled. I agree with you that the people responsible should be held responsible by the university or national entity, if they decide such action is appropriate.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've seen worse, but this one is pretty close.

Perhaps Mr. FilmMaker need to learn to communicate in a more rational and reasonable manner.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Time for a rebuttle

My last message was sent a couple years ago and I realize that it written in somewhat of an angered state of mind. That was my chapter that it was representing, and I would definetly feel more attached to the video clip then anyone on this forum because I actually knew the participants involved that had their names thrown in the mud because of the event.

I'll just clarify what I wanted to say. The clip sparked racial tension, but I honestly felt as though the media created this tension. I think the media sparks more racism because they overexaggerate events. This was obviously a Halloween joke, a costume meant to make people laugh. It wasn't intended for this "racial" momba jombo that NBC makes it out to be. Once NBC got their hands on it, they see controversy, and they think "wow this will be a great story, this is racism". And this is not so, at the time it was a very diverse chapter that was the polar opposite of what NBC presents. You would think these fraternities are white supremists, and this is showing fraternities as being vile, and evil social organization that promote racism.

The media sparks more racism than racists themselves, because they have a larger audience through online and television means. If they say something is an act of racism you better believe the peopel tuning into their sets are going to percieve that, especially if NBC is the primary program they watch.

I look back and kind of laugh at how abrupt and a teenish my last post was. But I oberseved part of the main gist of what i wanted to say at the time, and now I'm clarifying that in a more appropriate post.