Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 950
0 members and 950 guests
No Members online

Old 09-12-2005, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Job Expo Attendance

What is the normal attire at one of those Job Expos? The only one I've ever gone to was at the university when I was in grad school and it was between work and class so I know I just wore whatever I had worn at work.

I'm guessing the response will be a suit, but I also know that I will be walking around all morning and want to be comfortable (suit and comfortable do not go together).

Can I get away with business attire, just not a suit?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I just attended a job fair on the other side, as a recruiter. I'll give you my feedback.

First, Formal Business attire - wear a suit. You do not need to wear a formal interview suit (unless it is the only one you have). The idea is to have the clothes make a good impression but not steal the show. I had someone walk in with a bright cherry red suit and it was incredibly distracting. Conversely, I had someone walk in wearing a casual outfit and toting a large backpack-on-wheels thing behind her (and she was smacking chewing gum) - I chucked her resume right in the "no" bin; she clearly is not someone I can put in front of a client. You can get away with a dressy pant-set, but no cardigan-set type stuff, that's a bit too casual. Unfortuantely, we're talking dry-clean-only here.

Second, comfort. Wear the most comfortable shoes you can possibly get away with. You will be standing the entire time; you should be as comfortable as possible without compromising looking sharp. Flats are a must - which is why I recommend pants.

Unrelated to the what to wear question - memorize a 30-second summary of your qualifications and what you are looking for. At job fairs recruiters have 30 seconds tops to scan your resume; if you help them catagorize what postion they should be looking at you for and why you are qualified for it, you are more likely to get an interview rather than merely placed in a large stack of resumes to be scanned.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulaKKG
The idea is to have the clothes make a good impression but not steal the show. I had someone walk in with a bright cherry red suit and it was incredibly distracting.
I agree with everything that you said, except this. As a recruiter, when you see hundreds of folk at a career fair it can really be hard to kept them apart, especially when, as you said, you only have about 30 seconds with each candidate. I like it when candidates are not wearing the traditional blue suite, white blouse/shirt combo. Stay professional, but a nice scarf, unusual pin (or tie for the guys) and even a red suit and can make you stand out in a sea of blue. If your resume is good too, you'll have the recruiters saying "you know, the one with the red suit on...she was really sharp"

I have a black and white checked suit that I always get complements on that I like to wear to such events. Still conservative, but different enough to stand out a little bit.