Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 970
0 members and 970 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2005, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Working in the non-profit sector

So, I work my school's Annual Fund supporting one of the people who solicits rich alumni to donate money to SDSU.

Recently, my boss suggested that I look into a career in the philanthropic/non-profit sector because I apparently have a great grasp of why philanthropy and such is important to an institution. She suggested a position with YMCA, United Way, or another organization and work my way.

However, my entire college career has been focused around journalism. I've always wanted to be a staff writer for a major newspaper, but the more I come closer to graduating, the more I'm concerned with the process. I'll have to move to the most remote location for my first job, probably covering high school water polo in Mississippi, which would remove fme from my friends and family. Plus, journalism isn't a conventional job where you work 9 to 5. I'm planning on being a family man, and I need that type of stablilty to help raise whatever I get myself into.

Now, working non-profit sounds really intriguing, seeing as though the pay would be roughly the same. Plus, I think I would love the work seeing as though I've had two years experience working for a non-profit organization.

The only thing is that I wouldn't be achieving the same fame/notoriety that a journalist would have. I always imagined myself on PTi or Around The Horn, and I certainly could not find that capacity in non-profit.

I guess I'd just like to know if non-profit would be a good industry to go into. If it's worth the money, the work, and if the job satisfaction is great/ bad.

Anything would help. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I hear you on the journalism thing; it really is an industry in which one has to pay his or her dues for quite a while, and luck has a good deal to do with any career advancement.

I decided that at least for now, it wasn't the career path I wanted. I had quite a bit of experience too; I've won several national and regional awards for journalism and have a good portfolio of clips. On top of that, I have a former writer at Sports Illustrated and a former NY Times reporter who have said they would be references for me. Even with that, I found the job market completely unappealing.

One thing to consider though - even if you work in the non-profit sector, you can see about freelancing articles for local papers. That way you can still write and build up a portfolio if you want to go back to reporting.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I currently work as Communications Coordinator for a non-profit professional state society. It may not be the same as journalism but I use a lot of journalistic skills. I send out press releases, write copy for our website and other avenues. I also constantly use the AP style guide!

You can always work in the Media Relations side of Non-profit or also working on the magazine of the non-profit organization!

PM me if you want to know more!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Another journalist who's not that interested in a career in journalism. I'm looking at jobs that require writing skills but aren't necessarily traditional journalism jobs.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chioprincess
non profit

I work for a non for profit, and I love it. I am a writer, and I get more satisfaction from writing grants, sponsorship letters and press releases then I did when I wrote for a paper.

I think you have to do what makes you happiest, but if you have a gift for it then do it. I think non for profit, especially in the fundraising arena teaches you a lot of people and communication skills which benefit you if you do want to pursue journalism.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
Old 08-08-2005, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks guys, I'm becoming a lot more open to it now, especially since I can do some good for people as opposed to being in the media where we can't do anything without getting criticized.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BLUTANG Send a message via Yahoo to BLUTANG
I work for a nonprofit and i love it!

The only thing you need t be aware of is this industry's ridiculously high turnover rate. A lot of times people come to the field starry eyed and idealistic, and leave (1) disappointed in the pay or (2) discouraged about of office politics / advancement opportunities.

check out www.philanthropycareers.com, www.idealist.org, www.asi.careerhq.org, or your local newspaper for job listings in this sector.

i'd also advise you to check out a salary / compensation survey for your field / desired position in nonprofits of similar size OR in your metro area to get a better idea of the pay you'll be competing for.

Not saying any of this to scare you away, but to give you some things to ponder. I enjoy working for my nonprofit... it's a great feeling using your skills and talents to benefit a greater good!
Old 09-12-2005, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I think grant writing would be perfect for you, and Ksigkid makes a good point -- that you can freelance while you're working.