Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,586
1 members and 1,585 guests
MSKKG

Old 09-08-2002, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
some advice please?

Well, good news from me...I'm engaged!!! I have been floating since it happened (last week) but now comes the daunting task, breaking it to the family. My parents don't like the guy because he's a "foreigner", specifically from Egypt. He has made me happier than anyone I have ever been with, he respects me, he loves me, and he wants nothing more than for me to have a good life. He knows how my parents feel about him, and he feels guilty for coming in between us. Normally, I would just respect their wishes and drop him, but I just can't. He even offered to leave, if that is what I thought was best. They think I'm no longer with him because they told me that I wasn't allowed to see him. Now before I go on, let me state to you these facts...
1. I am 20
2. I am over halfway through college
3. I am on scholarship
4. I am self supporting (I work while taking 17 hours and maintaining a high gpa)
Most of my friends have told me to tell my parents to f*** off and mind their own business, but I really can't do that. Granted, sometimes I feel that way, but I do love them and I want for us to actually be on speaking terms in the future. My question is bascially this..
Do I call, write, or tell it in person? And also, what exactly should I say?? I know I got myself into this situation, but...my mom didn't express any sort of dislike of him until a few months into the relationship w/ him. She's never really spent much time around him or anything.
Please someone help. I'm going crazy from the stress!
Old 09-08-2002, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
First of all, Congratulations!

Second, be the adult you know you are and sit down with your parents to tell them. Explain how you feel, telling them how happy you are and how you don't feel they have given your fiance a fair chance.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

honesty is the blah poliblah.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

First and foremost, congratulations on your engagement!! How very exciting for you!

As for advice, I'm not sure how qualified I am to give any, but here goes. I would definately not tell them to mind their own business!! Go visit with them in person, and tell them that you have something you need to discuss with them that is very important to you. That way they aren't completely blown away by the news. Make sure and tell them that you love them and respect their opinion, but you honestly feel this is the only man for you and you can't give up on him just to please them. Explain about how he treats you and about what a wonderful person he is, and tell them how important it is that you have their blessing.

You may or may not want to bring him along, depending on what your parents are like. If you prefer to go it alone, maybe bring a gift for them from him. Definately prepare what you want to say, and I would emphasize how important both your parents and your fiance are to you. You probably know your parents well enough to know what will pull at their heartstrings.

Definately try and get them together at some point so your parents can get to know him. If they refuse to budge on their stance, at least try and convince them to get to know him before they decide. But try your best not to make it a situation where they feel you are choosing between them and him.

I'm not sure if this makes as much sense as I wanted it to. I guess my main point is to not make it confrontational, just let them know how much you love them and him, and how important it is to you that they get along. Handle yourself like an adult and try not to give any ultimatums.

I wish you the absolute best of luck, and congratulations again!
Old 09-08-2002, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Whichever parent you have the best relationship with . . . well you tell them first.

That way you have an ally.

I would NEVER EVER tell both at the same time. . . its a good way to get double teamed.

That is EVIL advice.

SHAME on you BAD girls for suggesting it.

Even if you have a fairly negative relationship. Meet with one first and tell. Its easier to tell one and you can use the:

"I love you both and respect both of you but you have been the most reasonable and easy to talk to, so I thought I would tell you first, but you have to promise not to say anything!"

Use emotional manipulatipion . . you are a chick so you should have developed this to a fine art by now. Don't forget your weapons!

If you sit them down and just let them both have it . . it comes across as a big "Fuck-You-Very-Much!" No matter how well intentioned it is.

Some handy lines to remember. I have been told that I am fairly good at dialougue . . . comes from being a budding writer lol.

Line 1.

"I thought that you of all people would want me to be happy."

Helps if you can be bright eyed and generate tears without getting too weepy. Think Demi Moore crying . . not an adolecent with a bad attitude.

Line 2.

"Ok, I understand what you are saying. You and Daddy (mommy) loved eachother when you got married. IF someone else you loved had told you right then and there to drop him, are you telling me you would have walked away from all this just like that?"

When they respond that this is different, hit them with line 1.

And then add line 3.

"He treats me so well and makes me so happy that it feels like I am suffocating when he is not around."

Use Line 4.

"He actually told me he would walk away because he knew you would tear me apart. I told him you wouldn't, that you loved and wanted me to be happy . . . but I guess he was right?"

Line 5.

"Why do you guys want to kick me out of your lives forever because someone you never met, but you hate, makes me happy?"

Line 5 has to be used early before they get too upset. But it raises the stakes on them.

Some generic advice:

Don't OVERTALK. All women do this. IT loses their argument. Make your points simple and stick to them.

He loves me.

I love him.

He offered to leave.

I couldn't bear to let him go.

I love you.

I can't bear to not have you in my lives.

The conflict has been tearing me apart.

You have to keep reiterating those points!! No matter what the counter argument is!

Because their point is that you shouldn't marry him regardless of how they say it.

Your point is that you are going to marry him, the question is whether they will be supportive or not.

(you might want to get a little frantic at times, just not hysterical. Parents can see through hysteria. They had you as a teen lol and you are a girl )

Eventually, if they don't cave in, but before they get too upset . . (once they get really angry you have lost. Never confront anger directly)

You need to say (gently): "I love him, I am going to marry him, we are going to give you Grandchildren. The question is whether you are going to be a positive part of your Grandkids lives. Or whether you are going to mess them up and me up because you hate their father for no reason."

Which is a great closing line if you can quietly leave . . especially with a some nice tears but no sobbing.

Ahh, They will probably back down right away and all my advice is for nothing.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

LET ME CLEAR IT UP

Egypt isn't Arabian. It isn't African. EGYPT IS EGYPTIAN!! If you think I'm wrong try calling an Egyptian he is arab or african. He will be pissed offed.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
You are engaged to a man of color in alabama? sorry I just thought that was funny in lieu of the other threads that say that people from AL are so prejudiced.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Optimist and James, you guys both got it nailed on the head. If you ever call an Egyptian an Arab...whoooooo...don't. Because they actually have peace w/ Israel, the Arabian countries treat them like a red headed stepchild, so Egyptians have firmly and proudly established their own historic identity as the people of the Pharoahs. It's actually kind of cool. And yeah, James, I am dating a man of color in Alabama. I think that's part of my parents' problem, is that he's not some WASPy type. Look on the bright side, at least our kids won't be fair skinned and sunburn prone like me!! My mother spouted off some stuff a while back about "dating a middle easterner is like dating a black guy in the 50's" and "some bubba-earl redneck is going to kick both of your asses". I have yet to have a problem w/ anyone making comments or bothering us in any way. Guys like him definitely debunk the stereotype that all middle easterners are woman hating wife beaters. I couldn't be happier w/ anyone else. I just pray that my parents will share my feelings...
Old 09-09-2002, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I got engaged last year (am no longer but that's besides the point) and when he proposed he had to leave immediately for Austin the next day. Because I felt it was very important to tell my family together, he came back to visit two weeks later.
Inbetween that time I had to tell my mother...who was a little schocked but happy. I made her keep it a secret from my father (which she'd never done in all 23 years of marriage). Needless to say the family was very happy...but that was a different situation.

First of all, let me say this...family views are very important. This may sound trite, but I take to heart what my family thinks of the guys I date...and the reason is because I've dated some losers in the past and they knew it well before I could see it. Granted your situation is different and based off of a stereotype and race...but you have to determine a few things:

1) Am I really happy with this man because of what he means to me, or is it because my parents dissapprove?

2) Am I willing to sacrifice my family relationship?

3) Am I rushing into this?

I don't want to offend you but this is a big, LIFETIME decision...one I just got out of. Please don't take my recent unengagement as bitterness...I just know that us women get swept off our feet sometimes and don't necessarily want to see some truths or think things through because we are emotion based creatures.
All the best to you and congratulations!

Hootie
Old 10-12-2002, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

An update

Well guys and gals, I finally bit the bullet and told them. Gawd it was ugly....and it's going to get uglier. Apparently because of the way my mom handled it (not too well, yelling, name calling etc) my parents are now getting a divorce, which I found out my dad was planning for quite a while now, and this was his out. I really feel bad, but I know that it's not really my fault. I feel terrible that he's picking this time to do it, instead of giving her some time to get over this, he just does it all at once. And my poor little sis has to live at home w/ all this mess (she's 17). My dad, thankfully, was very cordial and didn't make me feel bad. I feel as if I should maintain some sort of contact w/ them, so the question is how long should I wait until I contact my dad (or my mom, but I think Dad would do better earlier than Mom)?
Old 10-12-2002, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Don't OVERTALK. All women do this. IT loses their argument. Make your points simple and stick to them.
Says he of the lengthy post.
Old 10-12-2002, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG-- That's crazy!! i'm so sorry! Respect your parents, but realize that you need to be happy too. I don't have any good advice, bc it sounds like your life is very overwhelming!
Old 10-12-2002, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm no expert in the area, but I think you should probably talk to your dad soon, say within the next day or two, just to let him know that you appreciate that he is being sort of cool -- with respect to your thing.

I would also guess that your sister is probably understandably freaked out right now. Maybe you could get together with her and do some fun sister stuff, to remind her that you're still a family and that she's not alone.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW
I hope everything works out. I agree, keep in touch with your sister, and make sure your parents know that you still ove and respect them, even though your have a different opinion.

Also, make sure that you are ready to do this! Marriage is huge, I know I couldnt' handle it yet. And graduate from college first. As you know from your parents (and I know from mine), you never know when you will be left on your own.

Good luck and support,
Michelle