GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,264
2 members and 1,262 guests
PhoenixAttain

Old 03-30-2002, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

men's jewlery???

Know of any classy men's jewlery?
Old 03-30-2002, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't like to see a man wearing anything more than a wedding ring, class ring and wristwatch. Wait, that didn't come out right! I mean as far as jewelry!

I don't consider a fraternity badge to be jewelry, so I didn't count it!
Old 03-30-2002, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I meant like Sts medals, and stuff, which i think looks nice.
Old 03-30-2002, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a state champion ring I lost in London (in the tower thistle hotel - I left it in the safe as I was packing). I usually wear this dual-band ring, it is steel and the inner ring rotates - it has seven crosses (I am a Sigma Chi).

I have a necklace I wear sometimes, it is black with steel and has the astrological sign for Taurus on it - a circle with a semicircle above it (looks like a bull's head), and I have two watches - a G-Shock for working out and a Tag Heuer for uhh... not working out. I tend to like steel/silver/platinum jewelry more than gold.

Used to have my tongue pierced, but I took that out (when I noticed everyone and their brother was getting them, and it was a safety issue for cheerleading at nationals).
Old 03-31-2002, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't have that much. A simple gold chaing that my parents gave to me the night of the cotillion I was in, coincidentally that was the first night I ever got drunk so it serves as kind of a touchstone of that night. I have two watches that I've gotten on two different cruises, but they're almost identical fossils (I thought I had lost the first one about three weeks before the second one so I went with something similar...only to find the first one the day I got back home). Lastly, on Thursday I got a simple sterling silver band that has my letters on it. Got it from Sterlinggreek.com with pretty good service.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

My dad has a lovely silver and star opal ring that I think is very tasteful.

TG
Old 03-31-2002, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Wedding ring and watch only. Anything else creeps me out.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

If I'm wearing a tux, I think that nice studs and cufflinks make a great addition.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-31-2002, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

Watches, rings, piercings, all are okay with me!

The one thing I can't stand is when men are dressed up and they have on a bracelet. Usually they are gold links. I see them a lot on salesmen. They just make me think of pimps or sugar daddies- men that are trying to make a statement about their net worth. But that's just me, other people might think it's nice addition to your wardrobe.

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be
Old 03-31-2002, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

My LXA Badge, Grad Ring with LXA on it, and my watch with LXA on it!

Other than that, I have thought about getting a chain for the Austrian Pound that was cut out by a freind of mine! Looks great when worn around the neck in the crevas of your chest!

Most of the time I wear NADA! Not austentatious myself!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-31-2002, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I was gonna saying something about men wearing a bracelet when we dress up. I don't do it, nor would I wear a bracelet. But I tend to think of Tupac (RIP) for his All Eyez on Me CD when he has a gold/diamond watch on one wrist and the matching bracelet on the other (along with leather overalls, but my memory might be sketchy).
Old 03-31-2002, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Watches. Fine, elegant watches. A watch should match both the occaision and ones attire.

A sport watch should be sturdy with a metal braclet to handle shock and water, mine is an Omega Seamaster Professional in titanium and rose gold since I am a SCUBA diver.

A casual watch for wear with khaki's, also a good choice for daily wear to the office with business casual. Something along the lines of a Omega Speedmaster, Concord Impresario, or IWC Doppelchronograph. I listed all chronographs since that is what I happen to prefer. If it has a leather strap rather than a braclet then accomodations must be made for black leather and brown leather. The watch strap color should match the belt and shoes. Generally a brown strap on a yellow or rose gold watch while a black strap on a stainless or white gold watch.

For wear with formal attire one wears a dress watch with the appropriate brown or black leather strap, though now the black strap might be worn on a platinum watch. Simple dress watches by Vacheron Constantin, Patek Phillipe, Breguet(especially the Classique series), or IWC are my personal favorites. Tourbillon movement, perpetual calander, and minute repeaters are certainly fine as a dress watch and will attract attention, but few are willing to invest money equal to the price of a high end European sedan to the price of a large home into a time piece.

A fine watch does not need jewels to make it valuable, as you see Rolex do to get the value above $20k. Put money into quality and workmanship, not gaudiness. The watch and you will look silly. The brother of the Sultan of Brunei sold his watch. It was a Breguet with a tourbillon movement, a beautiful classic timepiece, which goes for about $150,000. He had so much gold and jewels attached to it that his was selling for $400,000. Wear a watch like that in the business world and you will get laughed at, gross conspicuous consumption. Wear something like that and you are viewed as a showoff who is trying to prove something. A person with little self-respect or an inferiority complex.

I don't even like wearing a ring, just a watch.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverTurtle
Watches, rings, piercings, all are okay with me!

The one thing I can't stand is when men are dressed up and they have on a bracelet. Usually they are gold links. I see them a lot on salesmen. They just make me think of pimps or sugar daddies- men that are trying to make a statement about their net worth. But that's just me, other people might think it's nice addition to your wardrobe.
bah, I have a gold nugget ID bracelet that my parents gave to me as a high school graduation present. I wear it often because I like the look of it, but I don't like the look of other bracelets. But I don't think that it gives me the "sugar daddy" or "tupac" look either. And if it does or if someone thinks so, blah to them, it has meaning, i'm not boasting what i'm worth, right now, i'm in the (-) range! lol
Old 03-31-2002, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to teke4life
got my celtic crucifix around my neck, and a leather rope holding medals of padre pio and our lady of chestohova. and my letters tatooed on my arm (just thought i'd include that in the spirit of body decorations)
Old 04-01-2002, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damasa

bah, I have a gold nugget ID bracelet that my parents gave to me as a high school graduation present. I wear it often because I like the look of it, but I don't like the look of other bracelets. But I don't think that it gives me the "sugar daddy" or "tupac" look either. And if it does or if someone thinks so, blah to them, it has meaning, i'm not boasting what i'm worth, right now, i'm in the (-) range! lol
Ha! I'm not saying that is what it means all the time.. there's a very specific style that I'm referring to, usually on a very specific type of male. (I wish I could explain it better... it's just one of those 'I know it when I see it' things!) ID bracelets usually look fine to me, so I'm sure I wouldn't think you were a sugar daddy!
Didn't mean to offend anyone.

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be