Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,162
2 members and 1,160 guests
LaneSig, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-27-2004, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
lost my job

so i lost my job last week. fired. but i was ready to put in my two week notice anyways. so now i'm jobless and pretty frustrated. i graduated with a degree in mass comm., but i don't really want to work in that area. quite frankly i don't know what i really want to work in anymore. i love photography and have started selling it. but that's not going to pay the bills. i really started looking into opening a greek shop up in boston, but haven't gone anywhere with that. i'm just up in the air right now and not sure where i want to go or what i want to do. any suggestions?

shelley j
sigma k

ps - i don't really expect anyone to answer, i just needed to vent. thanks!
Old 05-27-2004, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry to hear that! And I'm sorry you're frustrated. If it makes you feel any better, I have a job and I'm frustrated too! I guess the grass is always going to be greener on the other side, huh. lol. Cheer up - you'll find something....I think it's important that you focus on finding something that makes you happy than on settling for something just to have a job.

As for the greek shop idea - you could open one here in Charlotte, NC and make a killing! There's only one in the area, but they don't carry a lot of stuff, and there are 6 LOCAL schools, let alone the nearby schools, that have Greek systems that would purchase from you. So if you want to relocate....
Old 05-27-2004, 11:56 PM

I'm sorry to hear you lost your job.

<pragmatic>Be sure to put in for unemployment. There is no disgrace in it, especially in this economy, and it may help keep the bills paid for a while.</pragmatic>

I still think you could make a killing with a greek store in Boston. It's a niche that has long gone unfilled. Off the top of my head, MIT, BU, and Harvard all have greek systems (MIT has a chapter of Sigma Kappa) and I'm sure that would get you started. Of course, starting a business is far from easy. It has to be what you want to do and what you really love.

Take care.