GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,367
1 members and 1,366 guests
PhoenixAttain

Old 07-26-2006, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone from Vancouver, British Columbia?

Tell me about it. So far this is what I have been told:

"Hey man, I have been to Vancouver and around the area about 4 times. I can help you answer any questions. First I do want to say that taking trips between the last week in June through the end of August is a big mistake. The summer time is the most busiest due to the weather and tourism. The price of EVERYTHING goes up 50%, plane tickets, food, even if you are a budget traveler, things are expensive 2-fold because of the tourist increase. If you can afford, then go, but I usually wait until September, the Vancouver area is very temperate due to the closeness to sea level, so the weather is still amazing, and with less rainfall. As far as the scene goes, it is very underground, and it always is kickin, you just have to know where to look. If you cant find it, then your not looking in the right place. The downtown area is very compacted, alot of things are crammed into that little space, so there is alot of everything everywhere. But summer time events are more frequent, with moon-lite mountain-top raves. Remember Hippes love to rave out west, so check with them too.
I suggest flying to Seattle and then taking a bus into Vancouver. You will not need a car, public transportation, bikes, and walking is all you need. If you need to leave to go to the Kamloops or Squamish many private coach lines offer rides cheaper then gas and a rental car. Make sure you go to the Cambie St. International Hostel on Cambie St., they have the cheapest beer in the city, (which cheap beer is rare to find!!) they also rent out dorm style rooms for 18 to 22$ a night, ask the bar wench for some hash, they sell it, but you have to ask!!
I always backpack when I travel to other countries, because it's cheaper and easier, renting or taking a car really is only useful for exploring the countryside of British Columbia, having your own ride is like a million adventures waiting to happen due to the huge amounts of untouched pristine land they have to explore! But if your just kickin it around Vancouver and Vancouver Island public transportation takes you everywhere. Lets just say after the first trip I feel in love and have been trying to move there and become a Canadian ever since. Also remember to go to the east end of Hastings st. for the "bring your own" smoke shops, if you dont have any, just hang around the area for 5 mins, and your threads and style will attract massive nugs to you!!!! And if you are paranoid, (all drug deals happen in the wide open daylight, dont worry, you wont even see one police officer the entire trip, and just to let you know the vibe, in the east end near Gastown there are places called "safe-injection sites" where IV drug users are provided with sterile needles and a safe place to shoot. So dont be freaked out when a guy asking you if you want pot pulls a half pound bag out of his jacket right on the sidewalk of a busy cosmopolitian street corner) but like I said, if you are a paranoid American, there are delivary services that will fill orders with quality herb, but an inflated price for the travel! Also, you will find people (mostly Americans) just smoking weed down one of the alley ways at night(east end) join in with a toke, and you will meet some amazing people, and you get to smoke a joint in the street, look at the skyline and pretty lights of the city while having a conversation with two Eskimo's from Alaska, all without having to be bothered by the man!! AHHH I love Canadian tolerence!!! Well I will send you another rant and rave about Canada if you please, hope I didnt talk your ear off, thanks and VIVA LA CANADA!!!

-- CITOXE"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND

"If you don't have friends in vancouver and would like to expeience some of the local "green" fare.. my suggestion.....

http://www.cambiehostels.com/

Go to this place.

Right around the corner from the kauphy shops.

Good record shoop on the way there too. It was all white inside. Very mod.

Go to the Cambie Hostel...

Go to the Juke box in the back right..

don't put any money in...

just flip through the the tracks...

homeboy (big bald skinhead lokin dude when I was there) will say "Looking for anything specific"

your reply will be "ohh yes, I came from XXXX"

he will be like, "well step into my office"

The place is right around the corner from the blount brotahs.
It actually burnt down WHILE i was in vancouver. ask someone about it. it was a very sad day.

have a great time. One of the top three most beautiful places I've been. Hawaii being one and Tahoe being the other.

*njoy!"

I am not sure how helpful that was but as of now it is all I know of it.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad that you enjoyed my hometown. Vancouver isn't perfect, but there is a lot about it that's pretty great!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Tell me more about it.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Tell us all more about it.