GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,199
0 members and 1,199 guests
No Members online

Old 09-12-2007, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Community Sorority

First i want to say that i still have trouble working the search feature on
gc and that if there is a nother post like this one please direct me to it.

What i want to ask is how would i begin to create a community sorority. a sisterhood that is not affiliated with a university but is for women who are in college.
I am asking this because I am a co-founder of my local sorority. We do not have affiliation with any university but I would like for us to have some type of background.
So I was thinking that my group and I could try to associate ourselves as a community based sorority. We already have a strong emphasis on service to our local community. I just wanted to know if there are anysteps that we should take.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
if you go to google, go to advanced, under domain put greekchat.com and then put in your search, that is pretty effective

i'll get back to you on any other threads
Old 09-12-2007, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

If it is only for collegiate women, then to advertise as a community sorority is a bit misleading. Community sororities are for women of any age.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaPDPrez View Post
First i want to say that i still have trouble working the search feature on
gc and that if there is a nother post like this one please direct me to it.

What i want to ask is how would i begin to create a community sorority. a sisterhood that is not affiliated with a university but is for women who are in college.
I am asking this because I am a co-founder of my local sorority. We do not have affiliation with any university but I would like for us to have some type of background.
So I was thinking that my group and I could try to associate ourselves as a community based sorority. We already have a strong emphasis on service to our local community. I just wanted to know if there are anysteps that we should take.
Are you saying that you want your chapter to be city-wide? (County wide, or otherwise include more than one campus?)
Old 09-12-2007, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

well its only for colligiate women because it is aimed towards women at my school. unfortunately my local is not welcomed on campus. We are not trying to become a national group. We would like to stay a one chapter organization. I was thinking that giving ourselves a title like 'community organization' would be nice since we are not affiliated with an university. Which is why i am searching here on gc to get some advice on how i would that. This wouldnt be a typical community group, where all women could join, since our reason for being founded was to provide greek life for women at our school.
It is a complicated story and i am trying to type it as simply as i can.

Should we just try to eliminate the whole community thing?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I checked out your organization's myspace page.... it really sounds like you want a city-wide chapter of your sorority. Observe how the NPHC and Latina sororities function as city-wide chapters. Observe their successes and missteps. You could learn a lot.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember seeing groups like those that exist for college women...though they are not GLO based. They also have selective membership and some sort of pledging process, but without the greek letters. So they are basically non-greeks with rituals...

I have to do a search on this to pull up some sites, but I do remember seeing some
Old 09-12-2007, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a good thread about this very topic:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ghlight=adults
Old 09-13-2007, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Well at the moment i am not concerend with going city-wide. Our goal is to put emphasis on the students at this campus, for right now. at least until a different national group arrives on campus that is similar to ours. I tried to read through that thread but i see it will be one that i need to dedicate a full afternoon to really read through all of the posts. I appreciate all of the feed back. And any other comments are 100% welcomed by me!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

You may want to look into Beta Sigma Phi sorority. Although it is a community sorority, it does have some college-only chapters. For example:
http://www.kettering.edu/~betasigb/

Other community sororities may also have college-only chapters, but you would have to contact them.

List of community organizations compiled by BetaRose can be found in the GC thread:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/an...ment.php?f=208

Also info on community sororities:
http://www.communitysororities.org

Hope this helps - good luck!
Old 10-22-2007, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

My group and I are thinking that maybe going city-wide is the path we want to take. We have been completing service projects and are happy with the direction we are going in. We are also thinking of joining a council. My question is, how can we present our selves as a service groups in our city as a sorority? Would we need to apply with the city as a non-profit group?