GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,301
7 members and 1,294 guests
John, KatieKate1244, LaneSig, MSKKG, Xidelt

Old 10-14-2002, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Here I Come to Save the Day!!

This is also related to HARDBALL which is a good movie and I really enjoyed it and shed a tear at the end. They did not have to end it like that.

Anyway, I know someone who said this (paraphrase): "I do not like movies where there is some white person who comes along and saves the day for Black folks." Examples include: Dangerous Minds, Convicted (Omar Epps/Carl Upchurch movie on Showtime), Hardball, etc.

My question is how do you feel in movies when a white person comes along and saves the day for Black folks? Does it matter? Is it REALLY that deep?
Old 10-14-2002, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Here I Come to Save the Day!!

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
This is also related to HARDBALL which is a good movie and I really enjoyed it and shed a tear at the end. They did not have to end it like that.

Anyway, I know someone who said this (paraphrase): "I do not like movies where there is some white person who comes along and saves the day for Black folks." Examples include: Dangerous Minds, Convicted (Omar Epps/Carl Upchurch movie on Showtime), Hardball, etc.

My question is how do you feel in movies when a white person comes along and saves the day for Black folks? Does it matter? Is it REALLY that deep?
It depends on the context. If the blacks in the movie are portrayed as these depraved little creatures that simply will not survive without the helping hand of the white man, I object.

I didn't see a problem with Dangerous Minds (haven't seen Hardball). I thought Dangerous Minds was more about the teacher's coming of age than it was about her trying to save some black kids (although that was a circumstance of the plot).

I am trying to think of movies that I found objectionable...I will have to come back for this one...