GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,242
3 members and 1,239 guests
LaneSig, Xidelt

Old 01-24-2007, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Wearing shorts/t-shirts/sandals in the winter

When I was younger, only certain types of people were known to wear shorts in the winter...like people from really warm climates, who aren't used to cold winters.

Now I see all types of people wearing summer clothes when it's cold outside. It doesn't matter if it's forty or twenty degrees outside.

I don't see any benefits of doing this. I don't know if this is something unique to my location or not. Do you see people wearing skimpy clothes in cold weather where you're from? Are you one of those peope?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you talking about white people? LOL.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:09 PM

When I was in college (in Boston), I had a classmate who wore tank tops and shorts to class every day from September through November.

In December, he finally conceded to the cold weather and started wearing short-sleeved T-shirts and shorts.

Some people's internal thermostats are broken.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:26 PM
cutiepatootie

Being from so california i am use to a warm climate so when i went to college in arkansas it was snow and ice. i use to wear a sweatshirt and a pair of shorts and not think twice about it! Now older and wiser i freeze real easy. i guess after having kids my bodys thermal temp has changed drastically.

Last edited by cutiepatootie; 01-24-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PhiMuAmberkins
I don't think there's anything wrong with tank tops, since layering is key where I live (and you can always wear a coat, then take it off for those places that think winter = 80 degrees inside). But I've never understood shorts and flip flops in the winter.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I remember in Jr. High wearing flannel-type shorts, nylons and sweatshirts in the winter.

I wore flipflops to class in college in IL...no matter what time of year it was.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I wore flipflops to class in college in IL...no matter what time of year it was.

I wore flip flops all 4 years of high school, every day, regardless of the weather. It didn't help that some of my classes were in a different building that you had to go outside to get to, but I didn't really care. I got used to it in the winter when inside the school buildings it would be so hot you'd stick to the desks. My feet practically determine my body temperature so it helped to stay cool. The few minutes I spent outside in the snow were nothing compared to the hours I spent inside that hot hell hole.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I see a bunch of damn teenagers galavanting around in 30 degree weather wearing flip flops and it's like HEY YOU ARE NOT BEING CUTE PUT SHOES ON.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Flip flops are very convenient to slip on, hence I'd wear them. Especially when it was 20 degrees Farenheit that day. And sometimes just a hoodie and jeans if I could get away with it. (If you know New England you know what that alone was a risk).

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 01-25-2007, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I wear flip-flops pretty much all the time, but I have an excuse. I was a figure skater for almost ten years; my feet literally don't get cold. The rest of me, however, loves a warm thick sweater.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I've warn sandals in the snow and ice, but then, I don't really care.

As long as they're not white sandals or flip flops before Easter...why not?

And I bet I'm going to wear sandals to class this morning. It's 37 degrees as of now. My feet just don't feel it most of the time.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I'm from the Great White North and people do that here all the time. I mean it isn't cold here until it's 40 below.

Ontario has had quite a mild winter this year, until recently.

I personally think it looks a little strange, but what do I care?!
Old 01-25-2007, 11:29 AM

With a few exceptions occasionally, anything open toed gets put away after Labor Day. Period. And it doesn't come out before Memorial Day. That's what my mommy taught me.

Not to mention, my extremities are cold 2/3 of the time so I would just be a dumbass to wear anything open toed once the temp is below 65.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll wear shorts outside if I'm coming home from the gym and sandals if I feel like it (although it's been snowy and cold here forever, so not recently). I'm much more sensitive to heat than to cold, so I really never wear heavy sweaters or bundle up unless I'm walking somewhere and it's below 20.

What baffles the hell out of me are people who wear huge down coats and hats when it's in the 60s. WTF is that?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Since moving to Texas I have been amazed at the number of people who think that flip-flops are year-round footwear and that a UT hoodie qualifies as a warm jacket. I know it's warm here, but it's still cold in January!