GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 613
0 members and 613 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ZetaPhi708
Favorite Fraternity Poll

With the permission of Ms. Killarney Rose, I've taken her poll and have created a version for the fraternities. Remember, all can participate but you cannot choose any of your own organizations' items as your answers. I have also added 2 additional questions.

READY!!

SET!!

GO!!

1. Which fraternity has the most elegant Badge (basic model)?
2. Which fraternity has the best flower?
3. Which fraternity has the best philanthropy?
4. Which fraternity has the best color combination ( or can be just one, if that's the only one for them )?
5. Which fraternity has the best coat-of-arms/crest?
6. Which fraternity has the most mysterious symbols?
7. Which fraternity do you think is the best known?
8. Which other fraternity did you consider, other than your own, ( that was on campus when you rushed)?
9. Which fraternity has the best yearly activity?
10. Which fraternity has the best new member pin?
11. Name one well known fraternity man in the public eye ( can be from any field, i.e. entertainment, sports, music etc. ). Also state which fraternity he is a brother of.
12. Name a fraternity that was NOT on your campus when you rushed that you would consider joining today, based on what you know about them from internet research.

Last edited by ZetaPhi708; 08-23-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: forgot line 5.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

1. Which fraternity has the most elegant Badge (basic model)? I don't really think in terms of "elegance" for badges (at least men's badges), so I'll go with my favorite, which would be Kappa Sig's.
2. Which fraternity has the best flower? FIJI's purple clematis or the lily of the valley of Pike and Kappa Sig.
3. Which fraternity has the best philanthropy? It seems to me that lots of fraternities don't have official philanthropies—with some notable exceptions, strong association between a GLO and a specific philanthropy seems to me to be mainly an NPC thing—but I do really like Lambda Chi's association with the North American Food Drive.
4. Which fraternity has the best color combination ( or can be just one, if that's the only one for them )? Sig Ep's red and purple.
5. [There wasn't a 5, so I added my own. ] Which fraternity has the best coat of arms? Alpha Tau Omega. I love how they convert it into their flag, too.
6. Which fraternity has the most mysterious symbols? Most mysterious? Phi Sigma Kappa's Triple Ts or Beta's Wooglin. Coolest? Kappa Sig's Star and Crescent, Lambda Chi's Cross and Crescent or Sigma Chi's White Cross.
7. Which fraternity do you think is the best known? Sigma Chi.
8. Which other fraternity did you consider, other than your own, ( that was on campus when you rushed)? Teke (briefly) and Lambda Chi.
9. Which fraternity has the best yearly activity? Sigma Chi's Derby Days.
10. Which fraternity has the best new member pin? Kappa Sig.
11. Name one well known fraternity man in the public eye ( can be from any field, i.e. entertainment, sports, music etc. ). Also state which fraternity he is a brother of. Garry Marshall—ATO (references to which frequently appeared in his show Happy Days.)
12. Name a fraternity that was NOT on your campus when you rushed that you would consider joining today, based on what you know about them from internet research. Sigma Nu.

Last edited by MysticCat; 08-23-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: I suddenly remembered Wooglin.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

1. Which fraternity has the most elegant Badge (basic model)? Theta Chi
2. Which fraternity has the best flower? Pi Kappa Phi's red rose
3. Which fraternity has the best philanthropy? Phi Delta Theta - ALS research
4. Which fraternity has the best color combination ( or can be just one, if that's the only one for them )? Sigma Chi - blue and gold
6. Which fraternity has the most mysterious symbols? SAE - Minerva, the lion, the phoenix
7. Which fraternity do you think is the best known? Delta Tau Delta
8. Which other fraternity did you consider, other than your own, ( that was on campus when you rushed)? n/a
9. Which fraternity has the best yearly activity? SAE's Paddy Murphy party
10. Which fraternity has the best new member pin? FIJI's white star
11. Name one well known fraternity man in the public eye ( can be from any field, i.e. entertainment, sports, music etc. ). Also state which fraternity he is a brother of. So many! I'll go with Mike Ditka, a Sigma Chi from my alma mater Pitt
12. Name a fraternity that was NOT on your campus when you rushed that you would consider joining today, based on what you know about them from internet research.

I have another one: which crest do you like best? I like SAE's; so much to look at!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ZetaPhi708
Oops. I just saw that I left out number 5 ( which was actually the same question that Mystic Cat provided ) during my drafting process. Sorry about that, ladies and gentlemen. Editing now....

Last edited by ZetaPhi708; 08-23-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

1. Which fraternity has the most elegant Badge (basic model)? ATO. Their jewelled badges are just outstanding though.

2. Which fraternity has the best flower? I don't know of a single other Fraternity flower.

3. Which fraternity has the best philanthropy? Don't know.

4. Which fraternity has the best color combination ( or can be just one, if that's the only one for them )? Alpha Phi Alpha

5. Which fraternity has the best coat-of-arms/crest? ATO.

6. Which fraternity has the most mysterious symbols? Phi Kappa Sigma

7. Which fraternity do you think is the best known? Beta Theta Pi.

8. Which other fraternity did you consider, other than your own, ( that was on campus when you rushed)? None. I never rushed. I was recruited into a colony. Prior to that, I had no plans to rush.

9. Which fraternity has the best yearly activity? Locally, I'd say Kappa Sigma's bathtub push.

10. Which fraternity has the best new member pin? Don't know but a few of them.

11. Name one well known fraternity man in the public eye ( can be from any field, i.e. entertainment, sports, music etc. ). Also state which fraternity he is a brother of. Bill Clinton, Alpha Phi Omega

12. Name a fraternity that was NOT on your campus when you rushed that you would consider joining today, based on what you know about them from internet research. Sinfonia. I was on a music scholarship in undergrad, so that probably would have appealed to me.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 08-27-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:49 PM

1. Which fraternity has the most elegant Badge (basic model)? Beta Theta Pi

2. Which fraternity has the best flower? Omega Psi Phi African Violet

3. Which fraternity has the best philanthropy? Phi Kappa Tau, Hole-in-the-Wall Gang Camp
4. Which fraternity has the best color combination ( or can be just one, if that's the only one for them )? Beta Theta Pi's Pink and Blue

5.Which fraternity has the best coat of arms? Alpha Tau Omega

6. Which fraternity has the most mysterious symbols? Most mysterious? Phi Sigma Kappa's Triple Ts

7. Which fraternity do you think is the best known? I'm going to break the rule and say Sigma Chi.

8. Which other fraternity did you consider, other than your own, ( that was on campus when you rushed)? Alpha Tau Omega, Sigma Pi, Tau Kappa Epsilon

9. Which fraternity has the best yearly activity? Pi Kappa Phi's Push for America

10. Which fraternity has the best new member pin? Phi Gamma Delta

11. Name one well known fraternity man in the public eye ( can be from any field, i.e. entertainment, sports, music etc. ). Matthew McConnaughy, Delta Tau Delta

12. Name a fraternity that was NOT on your campus when you rushed that you would consider joining today, based on what you know about them from internet research. Alpha Sigma Phi or Delta Tau Delta (but, if I had went to Mizzou, I'd probably be a Delta Upsilon since that's one of the chapters many of the boys from my hometown joined)

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 08-27-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

1. Which fraternity has the most elegant Badge (basic model)? - Sigma Phi Epsilon

2. Which fraternity has the best flower? – Kappa Alpha Order’s Magnolia Blossom

3. Which fraternity has the best philanthropy? – Sigma Alpha Mu and the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation

4. Which fraternity has the best color combination (or can be just one, if that's the only one for them)? – Beta Theta Pi’s Delicate Shades of Pink and Blue

5. Which fraternity has the best coat-of-arms/crest? – Phi Delta Theta

6. Which fraternity has the most mysterious symbols? – Skull and cross bones of Kappa Sigma, Phi Kappa Sigma and Sigma Phi Epsilon

7. Which fraternity do you think is the best known? – Sigma Alpha Epsilon

8. Which other fraternity did you consider, other than your own, (that was on campus when you rushed)? – If you count going to a party to drink beer, then Kappa Alpha Order

9. Which fraternity has the best yearly activity? – Lambda Chi Alpha’s Watermelon Bust

10. Which fraternity has the best new member pin? – Delta Tau Delta

11. Name one well known fraternity man in the public eye (can be from any field, i.e. entertainment, sports, music etc.). Also state which fraternity he is a brother of. – Pat Riley, Sigma Nu, University of Kentucky

12. Name a fraternity that was NOT on your campus when you rushed that you would consider joining today, based on what you know about them from internet research. – Beta Theta Pi
Old 08-23-2013, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
7. Which fraternity do you think is the best known? Sigma Chi (but not for good reasons)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
7. Which fraternity do you think is the best known? I'm going to break the rule and say Sigma Chi. And, personally, I think we're well known for good reasons.)
Old 08-23-2013, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

With apologies where appropriate. Its Friday afternoon and I am wrung out and arguably non compos mentis.

Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!

Flower? What the hell kind of outfit has a damned flower!

As in giving? Naw, rip off everything that isn't nailed down and then come back and pry that stuff loose.

4. Which fraternity has the best color combination ( or can be just one, if that's the only one for them )?
Red, the color of our well hazed pledges' blood.

None, they are all made up and none are sanctioned by any competent heraldic court or authority.

Probably Skull and Bones, unless you want to count the Corps Saxo-Bourussia of Heidelberg which has a real coat of arms and very secret symbols.

Delta Tau Chi at Faber University.

8. Which other fraternity did you consider, other than your own, ( that was on campus when you rushed)?
Look at? Several. Consider? None other than my own.

See #7 above - Toga, toga, toga!

What is a new member pin? You must mean best pledge pin. For that see #7 again.

11. Name one well known fraternity man in the public eye ( can be from any field, i.e. entertainment, sports, music etc. ). Also state which fraternity he is a brother of.
President George Bush, DKE

No contest, there is only one - mine. Actually, based on what I know today I would still have to give the same answer.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=TSteven;2233301]

Well, not really fair. Okay, the OU Chapter had some RM issues where a kid died from alcohol consumption and aside from that, the general public doesn't really take notice of greek life.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-23-2013, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

1. Which fraternity has the most elegant Badge (basic model)? Sigma Phi Epsilon. I love the heart shape.
2. Which fraternity has the best flower? Sigma Alpha Epsilon's violet
3. Which fraternity has the best philanthropy? Phi Kappa Tau's Hole in the Wall Camps.
4. Which fraternity has the best color combination ( or can be just one, if that's the only one for them )? FIJI's royal purple
5. Which fraternity has the best coat-of-arms/crest?Sigma Alpha Epsilon
6. Which fraternity has the most mysterious symbols? Theta Chi's rattlesnake
7. Which fraternity do you think is the best known?Sigma Chi
8. Which other fraternity did you consider, other than your own, ( that was on campus when you rushed)? No doubt if I was a guy I'd have gone SAE
9. Which fraternity has the best yearly activity? Sigma Chi Derby Days
10. Which fraternity has the best new member pin? Sigma Alpha Epsilon
11. Name one well known fraternity man in the public eye ( can be from any field, i.e. entertainment, sports, music etc. ). Also state which fraternity he is a brother of. Ronald Reagan as a TKE.
12. Name a fraternity that was NOT on your campus when you rushed that you would consider joining today, based on what you know about them from internet research. I love Kappa Alpha Order and the southern roots.

Last edited by Phigirl04; 08-23-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:13 PM

I'm editing out my original response to Kevin, because I thought this was going to be a fun poll where we honored fraternities other than our own. Not a poll where we take pot shots at other fraternities.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 08-23-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Chi
Ummm...idk. Whoever has a red rose??
Lambda Chi Alpha
Sigma Phi Epsilon
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
No idea. Never paid attention to anyone's symbols.
Pi Kappa Alpha
I didn't "rush" any other fraternity, but I considered AGR, FH, and Lambda Chi.
Sigma Chi Derby days
Phi Kappa Sigma
Neil Armstrong, Phi Delta Theta
Beta Theta Pi
Old 08-23-2013, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaPhi708 View Post
Oops. I just saw that I left out number 5 ( which was actually the same question that Mystic Cat provided ) during my drafting process. Sorry about that, ladies and gentlemen. Editing now....
That's what makes me mystic.

And I'm glad to see fraternity philanthropies I'd forgotten about or didn't know about.

Meanwhile, how could I have forgotten about Beta's delicate shades of pink and blue? I'm not even a Beta (have them in the family, though) and I still think of Beta when I see a pink and blue sunrise or sunset.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^Daughter's BF is a Beta Theta Pi. When they got pinned she wanted a dress for it that was in one of their colors. I was a little incredulous. I think I said something like, "Wait, their colors are delicate shades of blue and pink?" She doesn't usually wear blue or pink, but she found something she liked online after searching the city high and low (literally). Ironically, he's color blind, so why we went through all of that I have no idea.

Outside of the color blind thing, however, he doesn't have many other discernable flaws she's discovered yet (after four years), so if he's an typical representative of Beta Theta Pi, they must be a great fraternity.

Last edited by AXOmom; 08-23-2013 at 09:54 PM.