GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,456
0 members and 1,456 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2010, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Big/Little Reveal Themes

Does anyone have a good theme for a big/little reveal. For example mine was Hawaiian themed, they had me put on a grass skirt and a coconut bra and find them. Any ideas?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 AM

You could always put on orange makeup and a Bumpit in your hair and do Jersey Shore. LOL
Old 04-05-2010, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL

But seriously, and I guess this is a side question -- why does it have to be a theme to find your big? Like, is this for a party/mixer? I don't know, my APO chapter kept it simple and hasn't had to change it in the 11 years since I've been a bro.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

My reveal was to follow my color yarn around the house and ended up finding my big in the closet.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

my chapter did the yarn too. but at the beginning there was a bag with our names with costumes that we had to put on. after that we followed the yarn and our bigs had decorated the room they were in with stuff that dealt with our costume.

and i want a cool costume/theme because it was really exciting when i found my grass skirt and coconut bra and just the fact that my big went though that much thought and effort for me was really cool!! so i want to do something awesome like that for my little
Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I go to a small, private Christian university, so this may hold up differently than it does elsewhere, but... We do our big/little reveals on Bid Night (it's the last thing we do before we send the new pledges home). The pledges are in a room with the President learning the club songs/chants/etc. and the members are outside preparing for the reveal. When it's time to do it we blindfold the pledges and then lead them out one by one. We sit them down in a chair that's surrounded by the stuff they get from their bigs to help them through the pledging process. Once all the pledges are in their respective chairs, the bigs start washing their little's feet. It may sound dumb or cheesy or biblical, but it really was a cool way of the active members showing the new pledges that even though the pledging process would be hard and even though it may seem like the pledges don't have any support, they do. It's also a way of showing them that we respect them enough to wash their feet. And it is kinda biblical. :P And then after the bigs are done washing their little's feet, they take off the blindfold and reveal who they are. I thought it was really cool and it made a huge impact on me. Definitely set the tone for pledging from then on.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ ok based on some of your other post. Why is you pledging process hard and difficult? This normally shouldn't be how this is done. I don't know what your definitiion of hard is, but you may need to reword or rethink this idea and concept. And your "pledges" should always feel they have your support, they are your sisters! Plus if I was a "pledge" a) you would never get a blindfold on me I'd be heading out of the door faster than it takes me to say bye and b) i'd probably be a little disgusted at my big washing my feet (especially blindfolded!!!) just because that's a little awkward...no matter how Biblical for some girl I just meet to be washing my feet

IDK but there is something about this post that rubs me the wrong way,
Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiTigergurl View Post
^^^ ok based on some of your other post. Why is you pledging process hard and difficult? This normally shouldn't be how this is done.
That is absolutely not your call to make.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
That is absolutely not your call to make.
Your right its not! However, it may seriously need to be rethought (opiniion here as I don't even have a clue who this chick actually is is ). They are in a DESPERATE need for numbers and this could be part of the reason. If you can't rush until our a sophomore, odds are you know more about the pledge process than members may like for you to know. When you only have to go to 4 out of 5 clubs through all of rush, why would you choose the one who is known for having a "hard" pledge period??? Especially if the other ones don't. I mean honestly something has to change if she wants to go from a pledge class of 5 girls (really only three who are active) to the 51 girls other clubs are getting. That's all I was really trying to get out without being so direct. But there you have it directness.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Your right its not! However, it may seriously need to be rethought (opiniion here as I don't even have a clue who this chick actually is is ). They are in a DESPERATE need for numbers and this could be part of the reason. If you can't rush until our a sophomore, odds are you know more about the pledge process than members may like for you to know. When you only have to go to 4 out of 5 clubs through all of rush, why would you choose the one who is known for having a "hard" pledge period??? Especially if the other ones don't. I mean honestly something has to change if she wants to go from a pledge class of 5 girls (really only three who are active) to the 51 girls other clubs are getting. That's all I was really trying to get out without being so direct. But there you have it directness.
No.

You were telling her how it "should" be done through the eyes of your own experience rather than understanding that there are differences in the organizational culture at her school. You made a judgment call based on too little data to actually make one.

I understand your point, really I do, and your points are not "bad" but they make assumptions -- you don't have a fundamental understanding of this particular organization or campus to begin to help.

Which is why I wish such organizations shouldn't use GC as a resource for assistance and just used it to share what their organizations are all about.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
When you only have to go to 4 out of 5 clubs through all of rush, why would you choose the one who is known for having a "hard" pledge period??? Especially if the other ones don't.
I honestly doubt this is the case. She NEVER said that their pledging was, or was looked on as, any harder than the other groups' processes. I don't think that's why they're having numbers issues. If they watered down their process (and it got around that they had done so) they probably wouldn't have gotten ANY pledges.

Like Sen said, these schools are so different in culture that for anyone to judge based on an NPC pledgeship (which has gotten to be ridiculously the other end of the spectrum) doesn't make sense.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Whoa! Sorry to have caused any trouble.

By "hard" I meant that it might be tough or stressful. Our pledging process is six weeks long. That alone could be difficult for some pledges to handle. And this may sound bad and it isn't an issue so much with my club, but a lot of other clubs at my school use pledging as a way to belittle or embarrass the pledges. It's dumb, immature, and that's why I didn't join a different club. A lot of members in other clubs feel that it's justified to do that to pledges since members did that to them when they were pledging, too.

My club is really big on blindfolds during pledging activities. We like to keep a lot of things secret right up until the very last moment and it's a way to learn to trust the members. Being blindfolded is a very vulnerable position to be in and being able to completely trust someone enough to know that they will not lead you somewhere you shouldn't go is something that really builds character and builds the bonds of sisterhood.

Having someone wash your feet and vice versa may seem awkward, I can completely understand that. But I go to a Christian school and our clubs ARE founded, first and foremost, on our faith, so this is something that might have influenced this decision.

Why does this rub you the wrong way? What makes you say that?

I didn't know anything about the pledging process, except for the general things you see happening around campus during those six weeks, before I pledged. And the stuff I did know did NOT include this. You get a bid before that even happens, so that wouldn't have to do with raising our numbers at all. Like I mentioned in my original post, I thought it was a neat experience.

And regardless of if I DID mean that our pledging process is hard, it's not nearly as hard as some of the things I have heard about the other clubs'. So like 33girl said, I didn't mean that to say it would be harder than anyone else's experience, I simply meant that it is a reassuring gesture right off the bat that you have support if you need it.

In response to what SunusretI said, I actually posted a thread about my rushing experience at my school so that maybe y'all could see a different side of pledging you never knew about before. I encourage you to check it out since you suggested the idea. I hope maybe it'll give members of national Greek organizations something new to think about.

I hope what I explained here helped some. Again, I'm sorry to have caused any trouble or confusion. Thanks for being honest with your opinion though, I really do appreciate the different perspectives.

Last edited by BeeVee; 04-08-2010 at 08:58 PM.