GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,124
4 members and 1,120 guests
JayhawkAOII, Phrozen Sands

Old 07-28-2001, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Ever heard of this?????

My grandmother says she was in Pi Tau Delta, the Theta Upsilon chapter. I think she must be confused. Is there such a sorority? LOL!

------------------
***Tinkerbell***

~~~Don't worry, be happy!~~~
Old 07-28-2001, 03:48 PM
Unregistered-

Smile

Why on earth would your grandmother be confused?

I could be mistaken, but Pi Tau Delta is a chiropractic honor society (per a search on www.google.com ).

There have been instances where organizations share names. For example, Phi Sigma Rho is not only a local sorority on my campus, but it is also a national social sorority for women in engineering.

There are also situations where some sororities may have existed before, but are presently inactive.

If this organization isn't your grandmother's fraternity, then you should ask her about it! Find out more about this organization, and definitely use this when asked "do you have any family members that are Greek?".

[This message has been edited by OohTeenyWahine (edited July 28, 2001).]
Old 07-28-2001, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, my grandmother was a Pre-Med student, but she never finished school cuz she decided to get married at 19 (since her husband had already finished school). My mother was Gamma Phi Beta and my grandfather was Sigma Phi Epsilon, as well as he was in some sort of Engineering Honor Society. As far as chiropractic honors with my grandmother, I highly doubt that. I dunno. LOL. Thanks though for that bit of info!

------------------
***Tinkerbell***

Old 07-30-2001, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Arrow

I seriously doubt that your grandmother would be confused. To me that's like saying that I will ever in my lifetime forgot what sorority I'm in. Maybe Pi Tau Delta was just a local sorority? I think you should talk to her about it. She probably still has her pin and other sorority items to show you.

P.S. Pi Tau Delta is the International Chiropractic Honor Society as Teeny said. Since she was pre-med maybe she somehow joined this?

------------------
If the angels up above
Could hear us sing our song to you
They'd see that in our hearts
We're Pi Phi's from the start
Old 07-30-2001, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Pi Tau Delta was a local sorority also, according to the 1929 Baird's Manual.

It could be that at the time your grandmother was a member, Pi Tau Delta was a 'generic' medical society, and later became the honor society for chiropractic.

There are hundreds of Greek-Letter organizations, both in the US and abroad. Sororities, fraternities, co-ed, professional and honorary groups often share letters. For example, there is a foreign service honor society called Delta Phi Epsilon and there is a national sorority by the same name.

Just because you haven't heard of a particular group, doesn't mean that they don't exisit or have an important meaning to their members. If you grandmother said she was a member of that group, then most likely she was a member. What purpose would there be in misrepresenting her membership in an honor society?

My apologies for the earlier use of the word ('lying' which was both harsh and incorrect.)

[This message has been edited by PnguinTrax (edited July 30, 2001).]
Old 07-30-2001, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I've been misunderstood. I never said that she lied, I just thought (since she has memory problems sometimes), that perhaps she got one of the letters mixed up with a similar one. You're probably right, though, that it could have been a generic medical sorority. The time she would have been in it was probably around 1930 or so, since she was born in 1913.

------------------
***Tinkerbell***

Old 07-30-2001, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Tinkebell,

My apologies...'lying' was a strong and inappropriate word to use. My intention was that there would be no reason to misrepresent her membership is the society.

Barbara

Quote:
Originally posted by TinkerbellMTSU:
I think I've been misunderstood. I never said that she lied, I just thought (since she has memory problems sometimes), that perhaps she got one of the letters mixed up with a similar one. You're probably right, though, that it could have been a generic medical sorority. The time she would have been in it was probably around 1930 or so, since she was born in 1913.

Old 11-05-2001, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay...I just talked to my grandmother again on Sunday and she had it backwards. She was in Theta Upsilon....the Pi Tau Delta CHAPTER. Is Theta Upsilon even around anymore?
Old 11-05-2001, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a sorority called Theta Upsilon that was admitted to the NPC in 1927. According to my 1936 Baird's, there were 17 chapters. Their colors were the 7 colors of the rainbow, the iris was their flower. Their badge is a Theta superimposed on an Upsilon. Their pledge pin is a stylized iris in sterling silver and their flag is yellow with a white lion rampant. TU was founded in 1914 at the University of California.

There used to be a chapter here at FSU.
----
There was also a local sorority called Theta Upsilon at the Ripon College. It was formerly a chapter of the national, I think. According to the Baird's listing for TU, the Ripon College chapter is listed as inactive, however in the Local Sorority listing, Ripon College shows a Theta Upsilon local sorority.

Where did your grandmother go to school? You could probably write the NPC and ask them what happened to TU. Maybe they were absorbed into another NPC group?

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TigerGirl52
PnguinTrax--

Do you know if there were any chapters of Theta Upsilon in Louisiana or the surrounding area?? I distinctly remember my grandmother talking about Theta Upsilon and saying that it was no longer around. She would have been in college in the mid to late 30s. Thanks

Allison
Old 11-05-2001, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info, Laura... I was wondering if Theta Upsilon might have been one of the organizations that merged with DZ! That's very interesting!

I wonder if Allison's grandmother is aware of the merge. Allison, will you let us know?
Old 11-05-2001, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Allison,
The chapters listed in Bairds are as follows (note: more may have been chartered after the book I have was published, if anyone online has a more recent copy, they could check).
Barbara

1914: University of California-Berkely
1921: Brenau College (Georgia)
1923: University of Illinois
Ohio State
Washington State
Ohio Wesleyan
1924: Allegheny College
Boston University
Simpson College (Iowa)
1925:Ohio University
Florida State College for Women (now FSU)
Miami University (Ohio)
Ripon College (listed as inactive here, but active as a local)
1926: Birmingham Southern College
1927: UCLA
1928: Lombard College (Illinois, where AXiD was founded, now called Knox College)
1929: University of Washington
Old 11-05-2001, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TigerGirl52
She didn't go to any of those colleges. If anyone knows about more chapters being chartered I would love to know. I can distinctly remember asking my grandmother which sorority she was a part of and I remember Theta Upsilon. I could be wrong but I'm going to call her and ask her just to be sure.

Allison
Old 11-05-2001, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

This is weird---both our grandmas in Theta Upsilon. Anyway, mine went to West Virginia University, and she said it was a National at the time, because she was in the Pi Tau Delta chapter. She said that she thinks that they aren't there anymore because "the house was on this HUGE hill, and it was difficult to climb." LOL! Like that's a reason for shutting down the chapter! My grandmother is a bit senile, you'll have to excuse her (she's 88 years old).

Last edited by ZetaLuvBunny; 11-05-2001 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-06-2001, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of Pi Phi Omega. I have my gradmother's old paddle from 1956, with those letters on it. I think it was from a teacher's college in Iowa. If anyone has any info. about that sorority (whether it was a local, merged with another National, etc) please post!