GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,165
1 members and 1,164 guests
naraht

Old 01-24-2001, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking A question for members and sisterfriends

I was just wondering if any of you feel as positive as I do about the wonderful support from various members and sisterfriends. I personally have met some really wonderful women on my quest that I may not have met otherwise.

SISTERFRIENDS: Do you value the support you recieve from other SF's?

MEMBERS: When you guys were in our shoes, did you meet any great SF's along the way?

Although there are some bad apples that jump in the bunch, I really feel that the member/sisterfriend connection is a really great thing. Many times it's helped uplift me, given me the courage I needed or just flat out put me in my place!

Old 01-24-2001, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I can definitely say that I love my fellow Sisterfriends. I'm not on the forums as much as I used to be, but I can say that I've met some wonderful people off of message boards, internet clubs. etc. They have supported me and given me encouragement when I needed it the most.

Some of those I met from the same city have become my true friends. Our common interests just brought us closer together.

I am grateful for the love and support I have received from all my sisterfriends. For that, I thank you.

Old 01-24-2001, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I am so greatfull for all the support I've recieved along the way. I have met so many wonderful people and have made friends for life.

While we're on the subject I would like to take this time to say thank you to all the people who've made this forum available to sisterfriends like me. It has become a very comforting place for me to come, especially when the journey seems to bare down on me.
Old 01-24-2001, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I love my sisterfriends like they were "truly" here. I have shared many things with him, that no one else would come close to knowing. I value my sisterships very dearly and I am thankful and blessed to have come upon such a positive, understanding, and alluring group of young women.

I love you all and you know who you are and I know our sisterships will continue to grow and prosper
Old 01-24-2001, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKAtude:
I think if I had access to the internet "back in the day" my circle of sisterfriends would have been much greater than it was. However, my close circle of friends and a few other interested ladies proved to be just as satisfactory and supportive of my endeavors.

True, Soror, true!

**Sometimes, I wonder, what it would have been like to have the internet "back in the day"? **

I'm glad we didn't!
Old 01-25-2001, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I think if I had access to the internet "back in the day" my circle of sisterfriends would have been much greater than it was. However, my close circle of friends and a few other interested ladies proved to be just as satisfactory and supportive of my endeavors.

They attended AKA sponsored events with me when I didn't want to go alone. When a new line came out, they were just as excited. When I attended rush, they knew I was ready and never asked any personal questions. When I became an AKA, they cried tears of joy with me.

For all these things and so much more, I am forever thankful. I hope all sisterfriends find the same support no matter which organization they are seeking membership into.
Old 01-25-2001, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

I'm glad we have the net, but at the same time I've seen so many girls abuse it. I think the bad side of the internet is that some silly sisterfriends feel that there's some sort of shield that the net provides so they feel that disrespect and indiscretion would somehow be put up with.

I've seen so many have their bubbles popped when they realize that they can be called out.
Truthfully, I feel that the internet gave me my first clues as to how to go about my buisiness on my campus, but I don't rely on it. The people here may or may not be one of the ones who would possibly vote for or against me, but I'm grateful that they're nice enough to support and help us when we may have gone about something the wrong way.

I also realized through this forum as well as a few others that members are indeed human. Don't get me wrong I knew but here you get to see a great side of them and even on the net the can smell a phony a mile away! lol Although I was a bit nervous I got the nerve to be myself and begin to introduce myself as well as relax (At least a little bit) at events so they could see me, the REAl me.
Old 01-25-2001, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to novella000
Thumbs up

OOOHHHHH yes!!! I thank the Lord daily for the support I receive from Members and fellow SisterFriends. I too have a SUPERTIGHT circle of SFs over the Internet and another set here at home... Both are extremely positive. I can say that EVERY DAY for the past year AT LEAST one of my SFs has edified me in SOME way (small or large). In turn, I work my butt off for my girls... Some have gone on to become Members, others are still on the SisterFriend side of the equation... But they all know that I am there for them in any capacity.
AS for my MemberFriends... they are truly my friends, and good ones too. They prod me with consistent-unfaltering-get-your-black-behind-in-the-groove-and-handle-your-business-encouragement. It's all love, and that's what I love. Many of them have been there for me in ways that I have yet to repay... (Y'all just don't know!!!)
To sum it up, I love all of the lovely ladies that I maintain friendships with -- in whatever capacity... It is truly amazing how Alpha Kappa Alpha -- in her organization -- unites so many of us in so many capacities... I will continue to pursue her b/c I have gained so many positive relationships and influences...

Okay y'all, I'm stepping down from my soapbox!!

[This message has been edited by novella000 (edited January 25, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by novella000 (edited January 25, 2001).]
Old 01-26-2001, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I like this site for many reasons:

1) the continous dialogue about varied topics (from politics to beauty)

2) The moderation aspect is key. I like the fact that there are people monitoring to ensure that certain topics don't get out of hand, and that folk don't disrespect an organization that is close to one's heart.

3) There is an ongoing discussion of topics that are important to the Black community, and those interested in improving the Black condition (whether they are interested in Alpha Kappa Alpha or not).

4) I like the spiritual element that continues to flow throughout conversations...and the reverence that people have here for the things of God...and the "right order" of all other things

5) It has broadened my perspective of the thinking of AKA women. I've always read and known of the refined womanhood that characterizes the AKA woman...but in situations such as having a website and chats (and the anonymity that accompanies that)...I have gotten to have an intrinsic view of the character of some of the women of AKA. Because your character is truly in question when you are unidentifiable. I've heard a good definition of character that is related to what I've said: character is-what you are like when no one else is around.

6) The sisterhood "feeling" is strong. As an observer of the interactions between women of AKA, you really get a sense of the larger bond that is present.

7) It's just plain fun!

So, in sum, I've found that the women on this site have some things in common with me (and my worldview) and because of that commonality, I have a place of comfort in Cyberspace, if you will.

I do have a question for the members of Alpha Kappa Alpha: Do you ever feel the competing forces of maintaining a website for sisterly dialogue with your sorority sisters, while providing advice and counsel for the sisterfriend? I think that's more or less a rhetorical question, that I know can't really be answered in a public forum. I think that it begs some pondering though. Like most things that we do, there are competing forces. I point to this because it seems as though that with this public forum, it may be hard to really "talk" with your sorority sisters....but that's just my view from "the outside". I'm sure that the moderators have contemplated this before.

At any rate, I enjoy the site. I can't speak on "support" right now, as I'm not actively seeking membership into Alpha Kappa Alpha at this point in my life because my transitional phase and other demands. But I think that the topics on the site try to get people to think introspectively about their motivations, while challenging them intellectually. And truly, that's support.

Old 01-27-2001, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I want to say that the ring of Sister Friends and Member Friends I have met on the net have been truly warm and receptive. I particulary enjoy the manner in which this forum is Moderated. I have seen in other forums a Sister Friend would dare not ask a question or respond to a topic for fear of an internet beat down. But here the responses are never made with malicious intent and the feeling of sisterhood is abundant and it truly inspires me in my quest for Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Old 01-27-2001, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kitten03
When I think about all the SF's that I interact with on greekchat, I have to smile. It's so beautiful to know so many powerful women are interested. It takes away that lonely feeling sometimes. (I'm at a school without a chapter. There's no one that I know interested in this organization but myself)

It also makes me very happy to hear the great things that has happened over the time that I have been around. It was so wonderful to hear of Wonderful08's crossing. I was so happy for her I could have cried. We all lean on each other so much that it's nice when good things happen.

I appreciate their candor and honesty especially when I feel like I've made the biggest fool out of myself. GC Sisterfriends are da bomb.
Old 01-28-2001, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Wonderful1908
Wink

I appreciate all the sisterfriends/Sorors I have met and dialogue I have shared because on the internet. As a neo I know first hand the valuable tool the internet can provide. If used correctly the internet can answer alot of questions such as what to wear, inappropriate questions and/or behavior. Its not a guide on how to become an AKA, but it is support and friendship, after all what is more valuble than that?
Old 06-28-2003, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump, bump, bump!

Takin' to the top!
Old 06-28-2003, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

i appreciate all of the Members and fellow SFs from the internet. I've learned a great deal about how to go about my pursuit from the ladies all over different websites. I do not have any family members who attended college, let alone be greek so the small helpful hints have been wonderful.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

My thoughts......

I am a fairly new soror to DST (Spr 02) and even though I checked out several chapters websites as a sisterfriend I was never bold enough to talk to any members on GC because DISCRETION had been drilled into my head by the few members I was close to. I read the posts on GC but I never posted anything myself. I mean even though this was just in 2001 and the internet was available, I remember meeting two other "interests" who I thought I could trust (that was a joke...PLEASE be careful who you confide in sisterfriends but thats a whole "other" thread!!). Anyway we met and we all arrived at different times to the place in order to be discret. We even made bookcovers for our copies of our research materials.....and ya know what after all that DISCRETION, about an hour or so after I got home I got a phone call for a member who knew what had went on and who "reminded" me once again about DISCRETION!! I guess the moral of my story is you can never be TOO DISCREET!! When I THOUGHT I was on point and had my stuff together I got busted and luckily it didn't cost me my chance at my sisterhood. The internet is NOT private...you leave trails everytime you come to GC...if someone really wants to know who you are they can easily find out....so be careful sisterfriends not to ruin your own chances...I was not so long ago on the other side of this process and I can understand the desire you have for your chosen orgs, but don't do or say something crazy ...keep your faith in God and if its meant to be it will happen.

Sorry this was long but this is a subject that I'm passionate about.

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...