GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,372
0 members and 1,372 guests
No Members online

Old 06-01-2014, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

It's Convention Season!

With so many Inter/National Conventions about to take place I thought it would be fun to discuss.

So many groups visit the same properties. Two years ago we shared a property with Alpha Gamma Delta in St.
Louis. We were moving out and they were moving in. I'm sure the staff was exhausted after those two weeks!

1) When and where?
2) Will you be attending and how many have you attended?
3) Are you attending in any official capacity?
4) What's your favorite part (only what is ok to share of course)
5) Have you ever attend another group's convention? Or have an interesting story to share?

Last edited by gatordeltapgh; 06-09-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

1) JW Marriott in Palm Dessert July 11-14. I think other NPC groups have been to this property.

2) Yes, this will be #8!

3) Yes, national officer

4) Too many to list but definitely Ritual and Reunion Night Dinner. We sit by chapter and you never know who you might meet. It is tons of fun and many groups decorate their tables. A bit of sports conference rivalry if you know what I mean!

5) I've been fortunate enough to attend Pi Beta Phi's on the day the Panhellenic guests join for lunch. I've attend Phi Kappa Theta's once with my husband.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

July 24th- 27th at Disney World.
I will be attending. It's my first convention!
I'm not attending in any official capacity.
Not sure yet, as this is my first convention.
No.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Sigma Kappa
1) When and where? June 28-22 in Las Vegas
2) Will you be attending and how many have you attended? I am attending - this will be my 1st
3) Are you attending in any official capacity? I'm attending as advisor for one of the 2 chapters I advise at. I'll also be doing a few things as alumnae chapter co-president.
4) What's your favorite part (only what is ok to share of course?) I've never been, so I'll go with what's been great so far about it all - getting to travel with some fabulous collegiate members and going somewhere warmer than Boston, and getting approved by my supervisor to miss the last 2 days of the school year to attend! I also look forward to sharing my badge collection with one of our National Council VPs who has a pretty stellar collection!
5) Have you ever attend another group's convention? Or have an interesting story to share? Not yet - but I will be meeting a fabulous GCer or two at convention as well as AzTheta's friend!

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 06-02-2014, 07:27 AM
GreekChat Member

1) June 24-29 at the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix
2) This will be my 15th!
3) No - going as a visitor
4) Finally being a visitor and not an officer!!!!!!!!!!! So much less stress and more time to just visit with the other "has beens."
5) Yes - PH reception at AST convention here in Birmingham. Ran into several other PH friends!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Our Convention was there in 2006. That was the only one I've missed in recent years, but I heard that the hotel room and meeting buildings are spread out and some sisters complained about rushing around outside in the heat to change clothes and that they had a hard time getting back and forth for events (I don't know about DG, but a couple of our days require 1-2 wardrobe changes, and the schedule is tightly packed). I also heard they had golf carts to help out, but not enough.

1) When and where? Seattle, July 9-13
2) Will you be attending and how many have you attended? Yes, this will be #6
3) Are you attending in any official capacity? AC delegate
4) What's your favorite part (only what is ok to share of course?) Parade of chapters, with flags, and the Confirmed Conventioneers' Dinner
5) Have you ever attend another group's convention? Or have an interesting story to share? No!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
1) June 24-29 at the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix
2) This will be my 15th!
3) No - going as a visitor
4) Finally being a visitor and not an officer!!!!!!!!!!! So much less stress and more time to just visit with the other "has beens."
5) Yes - PH reception at AST convention here in Birmingham. Ran into several other PH friends!
Of course you come the summer after I move out of PHX!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-02-2014, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

1) When and where? As previously mentioned, Seattle, July 9-13

2) Will you be attending and how many have you attended? This will be #4!

3) Are you attending in any official capacity? I'm attending as a chapter advisor, and am also on the slate for nominating committee.

4) What's your favorite part (only what is ok to share of course?) I always sing in the ritual choir, and it is such a thrill! Goosebumps all over.

5) Have you ever attend another group's convention? Or have an interesting story to share? Nope.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Here's a nice list of the 18 NPC groups holding Conventions this summer in Jean Mrasek's blog:

http://npcchairman.blogspot.com/2014...nventions.html
Old 06-02-2014, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

June 25-29 in Orlando.
My 4th convention. (There will be about a dozen Tulsa Univ. Chi O's there: active members, chapter advisors, alumnae, convention staff, NPC Chair).
I'm attending as 1 of UCLA's advisors.
The Model Initiation Ceremony is so very special.
I've attended a dinner at an AEPi's convention (long time ago).

Last edited by ChioLu; 06-02-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
Omega Phi Alpha

1) When and where? Indianapolis July 16th-20th

2) Will you be attending and how many have you attended? I have attended 4 previous conventions. This will be the first time in 4 years I'm not attending because I will be around 37 weeks pregnant at that time, so traveling is a no go for me! (But hey...best reason to not attend right?!)

3) Are you attending in any official capacity? If I was attending, I would be as I'm currently the VP of Expansions for OPA, but I'm going to see about skyping in to give my officer report.

4) What's your favorite part (only what is ok to share of course?) I love just spending time with sisters, the service project, and banquet.

5) Have you ever attend another group's convention? Or have an interesting story to share? I have not attended another group's convention. My interesting story from attending OPA's convention is that my DH surprised me at my first convention to propose to me! I got to do a candle pass at banquet to reveal to all my sisters there! Convention will always have a special place in my heart because of that!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Of course you come the summer after I move out of PHX!
Oh! It would have been so fun to meet you!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordeltapgh View Post
5) Have you ever attend another group's convention? Or have an interesting story to share?
No APhiA convention this year, but I have attended three other NPHC conventions in some capacity.

In 2005, I visited the Zeta Phi Beta 85th Anniversary Celebration in DC (which was not a convention, more like a leadership summit). I went to hang out and meet some internet buddies, but then I found myself co-vending with another Alpha whose publisher had bought a table for him. I met a lot of people, sold a lot of books.

In 2009, the Kappas came to DC to the same hotel the Zetas were at in 05 and the Alphas were in 06 for Centennial. I was there to visit their literary salon/vendor section to see if what they did could be implemented for Alpha (I was the national Arts & Humanities Committee chairman at the time). It was weird being at another fraternity's convention, but still fun. Their vendor area was HUMONGOUS. At least three times the size of the vendors the Alphas had.

Finally, in 2011, I was downtown when the Omegas came to town. Nothing official, just wanted to be around the Ques. I met some Quettes (Omega wives) and had an awesome conversation.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

1) When and where? Omega Phi Alpha will be in Indianapolis July 16-20. And we will be missing DreamfulSpirit, but share her excitement over her baby.
2) Will you be attending and how many have you attended? I will be there. I've been to so many OPA conventions, I've lost count.
3) Are you attending in any official capacity? Yes, national officer.
4) What's your favorite part (only what is ok to share of course?) My favorite part is the alumnae lunch and the alumnae society induction. That's where all the best "back in the day" stories come out!
5) Have you ever attend another group's convention? Or have an interesting story to share? When APO's convention was in Phoenix, I attended briefly as a national representative of OPA. When OPA was in Nashville years ago, we discovered that AKA was also having their convention in Nashville at the same time though at a different hotel. Everywhere we went all week, we were surrounded by a sea of pink and green.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I am soooooo pumped about going to our National Convention. My suits are at the cleaners!

1) July 2-6. Washington DC. What better place to be on July 4th!
2) #2 for me.....
3) Voting delegate, graduate council (alumni vote for my chapter).
4) Model Initiation Ceremony and Brotherhood Banquet. And meeting new Brothers!
5) No

I hope everyone has fun and safe convention!!!!