Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,292
0 members and 1,292 guests
No Members online

Old 06-03-2005, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
Frustrated!!!

Can I just vent to my sisters for a few?

I am so frustrated with my whole job search. I've been out of school for a year now and have yet to find anything. I had a really great internship in the fall, but the PR firm that I was at didn't have the resources to hire me, otherwise they would have (they said I was the best intern they'd ever had ). I've gone on about a million interviews but none have clicked. I had one offer in LA, but they weren't offering NEAR enough to live there and weren't willing to negociate at all. So I had to turn it down. That was in February. I've been looking here in Colorado, Seattle, LA/SF and in Texas. I'm pretty much willing to go anywhere but back to the east coast for various reason I don't really want to go into right now.

I graduated Penn State with a BA in Public Relations. At the beginning of my search I mainly applied to PR firms, but since February have branched out into pretty much anything related to communications, marketing and sales (other than door-to-door and telemarketing), still nothing.

Anyway, the last 4 or 5 interviews I've had I didn't get either because I didn't have enough experience (which is ok, that makes sense) or because I'm "overqualified and the position wouldn't be a challenge."

The latest blow came last week after an interview in San Antonio that I thought I nailed. It was a position at a public affairs firm, doing basically everything I did in my internship and a little more. I had done 2 phone interviews and an in person interview. They were the latest ones to tell me I was overqualified and the position wouldn't be a challenge.

It just makes me mad, it's like why did you do 2 phone interviews AND have me come down for an in person interview if you even remotely thought that I wouldn't fit in the position? I mean they had my resume and kept telling me how great is was and all. UGH!!!

I can't get any of the positions I want because I'm underqualified and can't get even secretarial postions because I'm over qualified. It's a vicious catch-22.

The 2 temp agencies I've joined haven't been able to find anything for me, and I've networked all the angles that I can. I've joined a ton of job sites, scoured the newspaper, etc. I just don't know what else to do. I'm most likely gonna move to Houston and live with my parents once they get settled there. (They just repatriated from living overseas for 9 years.) But for now I'm just stuck in this rut. Grrrrr! Anyone know anyone who needs an entry-level PR person?

Thanks for "listening" and if anyone has any suggestions PLEASE let me know!

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time. Those bastards don't know what they're missing out by not hiring you.