Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, CalderTide
» Online Users: 1,355
1 members and 1,354 guests
John

Old 08-09-2004, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Ebay thread

Here is the new thread for posting AXO stuff on Ebay or other auction sites.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I just have to say how much this bothers me...not only for AXO, but for sorority/fraternal badges in general...

How is it that people can't just turn the badges back to National??? There was one listing today that showed it as a "sweetheart's pin!!!" It just feels so disrespectful to me....if there are initials on the badge (which they usually say there are), then obviously it belongs to SOMEONE!!! RETURN IT TO HQ!!!

Sorry...just had to vent....
Old 09-28-2004, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to hunnie843
Hi Ladies...sorry to crash. We at the ADPi forum have noticed this disturbing trend but have a different take on it. Our goal is to rescue as many of our badges as possible from ebay to be sure they stay out of collector's hands and in the hands of sisters. I know it sucks giving the people on ebay who aren't sisters $$ but if you can "rescue" a pin from them, sometimes it's worth it.

Just a different way of looking at things.

BTW, I have a friend who was an AXO at Stetson and she is absolutely wonderful. We didn't have a chapter at our school but if she is any indication, you ladies have a great organization!
Old 09-28-2004, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hunnie843
Hi Ladies...sorry to crash. We at the ADPi forum have noticed this disturbing trend but have a different take on it. Our goal is to rescue as many of our badges as possible from ebay to be sure they stay out of collector's hands and in the hands of sisters. I know it sucks giving the people on ebay who aren't sisters $$ but if you can "rescue" a pin from them, sometimes it's worth it.

Just a different way of looking at things.

BTW, I have a friend who was an AXO at Stetson and she is absolutely wonderful. We didn't have a chapter at our school but if she is any indication, you ladies have a great organization!
Hi hunnie!!

My best friend is an ADPi from University of La Verne, but unfortunately your chapter closed years ago at that school...but she was the chapter advisor until the bitter end!!

My friend has already begun the quest to "save" the badges from Ebay, so i'm not going to outbid such a wonderful gesture...we are considering using them for newly initiated members who cannot afford badges from national....we're still playing around with the logistics, but it's a great way for the badges to be returned to those who can appreciate them...

PS...I won my new member badge!!! I can't wait to get it!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hunnie843
I know it sucks giving the people on ebay who aren't sisters $$ but if you can "rescue" a pin from them, sometimes it's worth it.
I know what you are saying, and I agree with that to an extent. But I also know that many of those people keep using others to raise the prices. They know that it aggrivates us when they put them up for sale. They are also usually rude - make that REALLY rude - people who get their kicks out of doing this.

I don't want my badge to end up with some collector, but really and truly, if it means paying double or triple what it costs, then they can keep it. Its not worth me paying them to keep doing the wrong thing.

Thanks for your info - you are welcome here anytime
Old 09-28-2004, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXO Alum
I know what you are saying, and I agree with that to an extent. But I also know that many of those people keep using others to raise the prices. They know that it aggrivates us when they put them up for sale. They are also usually rude - make that REALLY rude - people who get their kicks out of doing this.

I don't want my badge to end up with some collector, but really and truly, if it means paying double or triple what it costs, then they can keep it. Its not worth me paying them to keep doing the wrong thing.

Thanks for your info - you are welcome here anytime
This got me thinking...is there any way in a will I can designate where my badge goes? I'm talking about donating it to a specific chapter or back to HQ....is that possible?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AChiOAlumna
This got me thinking...is there any way in a will I can designate where my badge goes? I'm talking about donating it to a specific chapter or back to HQ....is that possible?
Yes - you just need to make sure that your family knows where it should go and have it included in your will. You can give it to a chapter, or back to HQ to use for replacement badges (which I think is a fabulous idea).

I know that I heard about a much older alum at another chapter - I believe the story goes that she has 3 diamonds in her badge. Anyhow - she has agreed that when she passes on, the badge will go to the collegian with the highest GPA each semester and it will rotate that way as an honor to that member. I think that is just the coolest idea. I would love to do something like that - provided I get any diamonds in my badge
Old 09-28-2004, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXO Alum
Yes - you just need to make sure that your family knows where it should go and have it included in your will. You can give it to a chapter, or back to HQ to use for replacement badges (which I think is a fabulous idea).

I know that I heard about a much older alum at another chapter - I believe the story goes that she has 3 diamonds in her badge. Anyhow - she has agreed that when she passes on, the badge will go to the collegian with the highest GPA each semester and it will rotate that way as an honor to that member. I think that is just the coolest idea. I would love to do something like that - provided I get any diamonds in my badge

That is a cool idea!! My 25-year anniversary from initiation is 2014...maybe I'll treat myself to an upgraded badge at that time and do something similar!!

However, my chapter is now closed...would donating it to the chapter I advise seem appropriate? What would you do in this case!
Old 03-06-2005, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPi Conniebama
I love ya'lls badge/pin. I think it is so beautiful. I found it interesting that this one is going for so low . . . . so close to its last day.

One of my best friends is an Alpha Chi from Alabama. She is one of the smartest, nicest, prettiest women I know. I went to high school with her and we remain great friends to this day. My point is if the bids stay low like this I will bid on it and give it to her, but I will not bid against an alpha chi.
Thanks for the heads up! My friend bids on the badges and collects them.

My best friend is an ADPi from University of La Verne...Sadly, I believe the chapter closed there, but she was an advisor there until that happened...she's one of the most down-to-earth, nicest people I know!!
Old 03-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AChiOAlumna
One of our members wrote a "Pin Disposition Form", which includes many options. You can donate it to ____ chapter, to ____member, to Executive Office, be buried with it, or whatever you choose. I've rescued a few pins; one I've given to an active who lost hers, one will go to my chapter, a few others to certain sisters, and the last one, I'm going to sell to a sister (it's set in a ring, and would cost me more to have it sized than I paid for it).

ASUADPi has the forms, I believe, if you'd like to devise your own. I wouldn't blame you - the lyre is so beautiful!!
Old 03-10-2005, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
Hi ladies!
I'm not sure if ya'll are already aware of this, but there is an AXO lot on sale for ebay. It includes the nm pin, the lyre, a lavelier and a few AXO tshirts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...963684945&rd=1

My best guess is that someone is getting rid of their AXO stuff since it even includes tshirts
I saw this and thought the same thing. I don't see why some people are so spiteful and sell everything on eBay when they resign rather than turn it over to the chapter. It's really sad. I talked to some people this weekend about starting something similar to Kappa's Keepers of the Key program. I think it'd be something very worthwhile to start to preserve our heritage.

And AChiOAlumna, I saw the most GORGEOUS, blinged-out badge this weekend. It was GORGEOUS. Set with all diamonds instead of pearls (I think it may have had the 3 point pearls, though). It was an old design and isn't offered anymore, but WOW! What an amazing badge!

ETA: One of the sellers says she was an Alpha Chi and is getting rid of her stuff, but she calls the lyre a HARP when describing the new member pin! I don't think she knows what she's talking about

Last edited by Xylochick216; 03-10-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Xylochick216
And AChiOAlumna, I saw the most GORGEOUS, blinged-out badge this weekend. It was GORGEOUS. Set with all diamonds instead of pearls (I think it may have had the 3 point pearls, though). It was an old design and isn't offered anymore, but WOW! What an amazing badge!
If you go through Burr Patterson and Auld, you can have the pearls on your badge replaced with diamonds. The last time I inquired about it, it was $25/diamond...so not very cheap! Maybe in a few years, I will replace my 3-point pearls with diamonds!

I am all for something in the realm of Crescent Catchers or Keepers of the Key. How would we start something like that?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Xylochick216
I heard that at convention last year they awarded a badge (like in a raffle of something) that was all diamonds!!! My CA saw it and said it was the most beautiful thing she ever saw!!

Also, Lynn Bower has a historical collection of AXO pins that she presents at different events. She brought it to our recent Province Day in So. Cal. and although I didn't get to see it, I heard it was something to see!!
Old 03-14-2005, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
I am all for something in the realm of Crescent Catchers or Keepers of the Key. How would we start something like that?
We mentioned it at HQ last weekend... I'll email and see if they've put any more thought into it. I know I'd definitely donate to it. A lot of senior classes want to donate to some cause or give back to Alpha Chi somehow, and donations to a fund like that would be awesome.