GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,147
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, misskesha
» Online Users: 1,362
3 members and 1,359 guests
FSUZeta, JayhawkAOII, Sciencewoman

Old 12-07-2003, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Alumni Association

Gentlemen,

lots of posts from me today, sorry about that!

I am in the process of recreating our Alumni Association. We have not had one since 1993. What does it consist of, how do you get the Alumni to become active in the Association and what if any advice do you have that you could give to me. If any of you belong to an Alumni Association or has knowledge of how one is either ran or established, please let me know.

Any Advice would be appreciated!

IN ZAX!

Harrison
High Alpha
ZZ Chapter
Old 12-08-2003, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
The best place to start would be the High Pi of your chapter, and the alumni he might know of.

There is an Alumni Association publication put out by HQ that has some good information as well.

Also, get a HQ list (or use the new alumni directory) to locate alums from ANY chapter that live within an acceptable driving distance from you, and target them, as well as the comprehensive list of ALL your chapters alumni.

Hope it helps. I've had to do this myself once before, and that is the route I took, and started an AA of about 12 members, which exceeded all expectations. Also, the key to maintaining the AA is to have recurring meetings/events at or near the chapter on a frequent enough basis to not become an obstacle, but enough to keep them motivated (we started monthly, then went to eventually a twice a semester gathering due to life commitments from everyone, but kept in touch via email/phone calls as needed).

ZAX
Old 12-08-2003, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Brother Jono and BN have a list server, you will have to get with him to have him explain it to you!

Basically Our A A started with the Ks St. U Zeta starting a KC area wide Alum Assoc.

They decide to go on their on as had plans to refirb their House!

It worked out well for us to get our guys more interested in Just our Zeta.

I began by getting a CD from Hdq, it actually sucked in the way it was set up on a spread sheet. But it was a start! Remember, it is only as good as the information that they get for changes!

So, some got on search engines and looked for names. I am selling LD Phone Cards at My shop so I used them. I called and got a lot of Nopes, but also got a lot of Yeps.

I Have been working for over 2 an 1/2 years still trying to Find Brothers.

Once you get an email base, there are always Brothers who keep in touch with each other that can be a font of information!

One thing is good, you are still young as a Zeta so may be easier to get them now instead of waiting 30 years.

Out of Our little Alum group, we have put together Alums who go back to the school for a weekend and do a Mentoring session with the Zeta. Each Alum who had or has an expertise in the Officership meets with them to discuss ideas, set up a budget, calendar, for social events, and Charity events, ECT!

We just normally have a get together and have fun, but it all revolves around the Zeta as That is something We all have in common. Heck from #1 to # ? who ever has come to our gathering! I restarted the Alum Golf Touney which used to be big, died, and is growing yearly.

Many of the Brothers who live in SWMo/SE Kansas Tailgate at each football game!

It takes just one dedicated Brother to start from scratch to build it into something.

The very best of Luck and Hard Work!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 12-13-2003 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NRG702
Question Alumni Directory

I am the new High Rho for my chapter, Delta Lambda, at UNLV. How would I go about obtaining an updated version of the Alumni Directory? We have one from 1996 and the info on it is kind of outdated. Our alumni-chapter relationship is kind of weak right now and I'm trying to make it stronger. Thanks!

In ZAX,
Neil Guieb
DL 300
Old 12-13-2003, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Alumni Information

Neil,

Call the people in Indianapolis and ask them to send you an updated list. Also ask them if you can buy a new 2003 alumni directory as well, but they can send you a free version of what they use for your chapter. I believe there is an unofficial policy they will do this for you once a year with no charge.

My advice to you is that you may want to get the information and then make your own Excel spreadsheet that your own chapter updates, then you wont have to rely on others to keep track of your people. Once you start using it for mailings and emailing, you'll start to get updates and you can tell HQ where your alumni are, not the other way around.

Lenox

Visit this website if you miss what TV Guide did in destroying www.jumptheshark.com a fan website run by the fans in 2009!
Old 12-13-2003, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Harrison,

Just like virtually everyone else on this planet, alumni love to be wanted, want to be needed, and need to be loved.

Once you have the means of communication in place..

Inform them of everything the chapter is doing and going through (good and bad).

Invite them to all functions (sports, initiations, meetings, etc.)

Talk to them when they show up. They're not just older guys, they're brothers.

Finally, tell them you want to build stronger alumni relations, but by this time, they should already know that! Good luck.

In ZAX,
Jono

"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."...Oscar Wilde
Old 12-16-2003, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Re: Alumni Information

Quote:
Originally posted by lenoxxx
Neil,

Call the people in Indianapolis and ask them to send you an updated list. Also ask them if you can buy a new 2003 alumni directory as well, but they can send you a free version of what they use for your chapter. I believe there is an unofficial policy they will do this for you once a year with no charge.

My advice to you is that you may want to get the information and then make your own Excel spreadsheet that your own chapter updates, then you wont have to rely on others to keep track of your people. Once you start using it for mailings and emailing, you'll start to get updates and you can tell HQ where your alumni are, not the other way around.

Lenox
there is typically no charge to get the list from nationals, unless, however, you want them to print mailing labels - then they do charge for that, but it is fairly reasonable, especially if you don't have the means to print labels, etc...

The key is to be consistent in communicating - don't be sporadic - keep the information coming - it will pay off eventually. Just remember, most alums still have fond memories, but the daily challenges of life (family, job, finances, etc...) can be overwhelming - just because they don't reply or show up to events does NOT mean they don't care...
Old 12-17-2003, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

We just started one 2 years ago. PM me if you want info. We are now up to almost 20 members and have a constitution and bylaws, events and the such.