GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,104
0 members and 1,104 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2002, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

A new path

So I'm taking a poll, what direction should I go career-wise? I'm unemployed as of Friday (I'm dreading the unemployment office) and am looking for suggestions. What should I do for gainful employment?
Old 08-13-2002, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I say we just get together and find some sugar daddies so we don't have to work. Just kidding, of course!

In an ideal world, what would you be doing for a living?
Old 08-13-2002, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Been there done it and did it too!

It sucks, was out of a job for 2 months!

Took apptitude tests and said the only thing I was not good for was a brain sturgeon! Hell had my heart set on that!

It do get tuff not only money wise but weights on the mind!

Hell the way the economic situation is it is tuff and we all know it!

Thank god I own my own business as have a place to go every day, dont make any money but ya know!

I live simple and am simple! And NO smart damn remarks! Please!!!!!

Hang in Kiddo there is something out there for you!

I went from the Rag Bus. R.H Macy/ JC Penney to the Booze Us. to the Tobacco Bus. Have I picked them or what!

I should have been a Brain Sturgeon!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 08-13-2002 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:23 PM

I'm with you... got laid off 3 months ago and have found exactly zero work. I'm in the tech sector, which is the wrong place to be right now! I've broken down and told my headhunters to start looking for things in NYC, even though it's a 2 hour commute each way.

See if your unemployment office will let you file by phone. (Connecticut actually makes you file by phone - no waiting in line - whew )

Try to find something in your field, but also train for something that's close to your field. For example (I'll pick on software since it's my field) if you're a C++ programmer, look for C++ jobs, but while you're doing that, go learn Java. Go for a certification, since you won't have the on-the-job experience to sell yourself as a Java programmer. Once you're certified, you can look for two types of jobs.

valkyrie, I like the way you think!
Old 08-13-2002, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

All I can say girl is don't go the retail route. IT SUCKS THE BIG ONE. Although I'm doing what I love (selling diamonds) I hate the retail hours.

Hootie
Old 08-13-2002, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel your pain. I had to quit my job at the end of may to move an hour and a half to the east with my husband and still can't find gainful employment.

AEPHI Alum, I'm in the Tech sector too, sure wish I could even get a headhunter to call me back.

Maybe all of us that are unemployed should form our own company. Wonder what that could be???
Old 08-14-2002, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Over the weekend I was given two new options: bag a millionaire or become a bookie! Neither one is looking too promising. I wish I could just get the last day here out of the way and start hard-core looking for something.

Can't a job just fall out of the sky into my lap?
Old 08-14-2002, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KarenC725
Over the weekend I was given two new options: bag a millionaire or become a bookie! Neither one is looking too promising. I wish I could just get the last day here out of the way and start hard-core looking for something.

Can't a job just fall out of the sky into my lap?
I think we should start a business
Old 08-14-2002, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AOX81

I think we should start a business
Good idea. Need a software engineer??
Old 08-14-2002, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

AEPhiAlum, please clean out your PM box!
Old 08-14-2002, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAMiami
AEPhiAlum, please clean out your PM box!
Try it now
Old 08-14-2002, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I was out of work for a year. I was a director level manager for a big communications company that was "merged" with a bigger company. They "downsized" my department to almost nothing and I was first to go.

The "outplacement" people say that if you want to make the same salary, you can figure on at least a month of looking for each $10K of salary you want to earn.

They were right. In fact, it was worse than that.

I went back to work for about half my original salary (plus commissions -- which was a joke in this economy). Two weeks ago, the new company gave me the option of moving to the home office (San Antonio) or being RIF'd again. I wasn't in a position to move, so it's out on the street again!

Nothing against San Antonio, but there are an awful lot of Texans there. (Relax, that's a joke)
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, same here.
I got laid off from my first 'real' job on March 18th. I sat around unemployed for two months and eventually took a temp job with terrible hours just to get back out there. Now, it's three months into that with not much else going on. I've had a few interviews, some for jobs I wouldn't have taken anyway, some that I would have LOVED to get. Usually, if I can get an interview I can get a job... but not this time around. Job hunting can really hurt your self esteem after a while.

Anyway, good luck to you. Your best bet right now is probably to look for stuff that closely matches your last known job description and go for that. Then you can retrain, study and look elsewhere once you have the security of a paycheck. Also, there seems to be a fragile balance between settling for something beneath you and doing what you have to do to earn a living. So far I'm walking the line... but we'll see.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Yep you are over qualified ( To Much Money ) or you are under qual!

Bullshit, you do not have a job! You are looking for a place where you can at least make some $$$$$$$$.

It makes me sick!

Right now, this country is in some badddddd shistttttt!

Soon more people laid of than wokiking and I for one am getting sick and tired of it! Well along with many of my Kansas Customers in Kansas!

Where else can you find the True American than in the Heartland!?

New Mayor Blumpyberg wants to stop smoking in Bars!

Is the Freak a Moron? DA! 70.00 a carton of Cigs! What the Fu%# Over!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-14-2002, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Just an idea, but there are always openings for teachers. I know it's not a glamorous job and it requires a good deal of patience, but there are always opportunities available.

Also, there is a lot of money to be made in the nursing field. You can take just a few classes if you already have your bachelor's and get your RN. LOTS of money up for grabs in the medical field.

Just some ideas.