GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,199
0 members and 1,199 guests
No Members online

Old 04-30-2002, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Pi Kappa Alpha house fire - Oxford, OH

Hi All,

Don't know if anyone heard about this... Luckily no one was hurt in the fire, and the other Greeks pulled together to help the brothers affected.

4/22/02

Residents of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house are in temporary housing following an attic fire at the house Friday night, April 19.
None of the 21 members, all Miami University students, was reported injured, however, many lost possessions due to smoke and water damage.

Most of the students accepted an immediate offer from Miami’s department of housing and dining services for temporary housing at Havighurst Hall for the remainder of the semester, officials said. The rest are staying with friends. Residents were also given 2-day meal passes.

The fire started in the attic but the cause has not been determined, according to the Oxford fire department. Fire fighters from ******* Township, College Corner and Reilly Township assisted the Oxford department.

The house will be closed for the remainder of the school year. Fire damage was limited to the attic, smoke damaged the upper floor and water damaged other areas.

The Red Cross provided vouchers for personal items and by the next morning members of other Miami Greek chapters had offered to replace clothing and other damaged items.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
My thoughts go out to all of the brothers. Glad to hear no one was hurt.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

It is a sad state of affairs for us all when a House Burns! The main things that all of the Brothers were able to get out!

I know that the majority of the House around the Country have little or no fire detection!

Our House is older than dirt, but hopefully we can build a new house soon! It will have sprinkler system in it when built. This also cuts the cost of insurance down for the Chapters.

We have a low cost loan program set up for that and in the long run will save us all money!

I am sure that their insurance cost will go up if they can get it!

Please be careful as we are all drunk fools and smoking crazys!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-30-2002, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
What a shame! But, at least no one was hurt.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I am glad that everyone has found a nice place to live. Stay safe and stay away from open flames
Old 05-02-2002, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I posted a message about this the night that it happened. It was very unfortunate. Since their house is right down the street from ours, I felt like pictures would show you what happened more than words could. Some people gave me a hard time for taking pictures when it happened, but it isn't like this was an entertaining thing for me, I was just documenting an event (I'm a big picture taker).

pictures

We had them all over two nights after it happened for a cook out. I talked with their president for a while and luckily the fire wasn't too bad. But there was just a lot of smoke and water damage especially.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Great Pictures!!

Brian,

I am a photographer as well, living in Arkansas, I take photos of storm damage (especially tornado damage). You have some good shots there.

Although some people may think it's crude to do that in the middle of a crisis, later on down the road pictures will be much appreciated to document what happened. The brothers may want copies of those pictures someday, once the shock and grief wears off. (Not to mention their HQ may be interested in them).

My thoughts are with them all. Thank god they got out safely, and also for the other Greeks who banded together to help them out.

You show the true Greek Spirit.