Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,384
3 members and 1,381 guests
asophiaptrov969, Cookiez17, FSUZeta

Old 06-23-2006, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation We need your help!

I am currently a sister of AOII and my chapter is unfortunately facing a hard battle. Our school is looking to/pushing to shut down Greek Life on our campus - in other words, no longer recognize any Greek organizations. This is mostly due to some hazing problems that one of our Fraternities was charged with. The school and their nationals shut this fraternity's chapter down, however the president and head of student life is looking to shut the remaining 3 sororities and 5 fraternities down as well. I guess I am basically looking for some advice and/or guidance as to how to best handle this situation. The school in the past few years has focused on only the negative aspects of Greek life and have ignored all of our positive contributions to both the college and the community. We feel we are up against a losing battle and that our voices will not be heard. Please offer any advice you may have - thanks!!!

Anne85
Old 06-23-2006, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Anne I would have your chapter president contact your chapter adviser who can contact your CNS/CND and they will go through the proper channels to help you. For now I would sit tight. Most of our leaders in AOII are at LI this weekend in Brentwood, TN so you might have to wait until Monday to get a reply. It's not that they don't care but it might be something where AOII will have to send some reps out to your university to talk to you all and the administration. Also, remember just because a fraternity is setting a bad example doesn't mean everyone should follow suit...remember everything we do reflects upon our fraternity and our AOII.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:43 PM

Is this a public or private school?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

private - we are a very small college - so its a surprise to most that we have Greek life, but it is such a large part of our school and none of us want to watch it get taken away from us
Old 06-23-2006, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you in Canada or US? PM (private message me) with details if you like.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you everyone for your advice so far - i am sorry to say that I am leaving the country and will return in early august - sorry to ask for help and then leave like this, but i wasnt sure how efficient this website would be... thank you olemissglitter and irishpipes - i will be responding to you when i return - until then enjoy the summer!!
Old 07-07-2006, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you have a local Panhellenic? If they really intend to close down all groups, it might not hurt to get NPC involved in this as well.

Last edited by pialpha92; 07-07-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I would expect it to be a US chapter, because most Canadian campuses, if they have Greeks, don't really "recognize" them the same way they are recognized in the States.

How's it going? NPC involved?