Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,508
7 members and 1,501 guests
Cookiez17, navane, Toeshoes, Xidelt

Old 05-25-2006, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Quincy Graduate

Resa sent this to me, she's an AOII alumna from Quincy. I just thought this was an interesting story that was done on her. She roams around here on gc.....

QUgraduate proves doctors wrong, continues to think big
Monday, May 15, 2006
Mail to a friend Printer Friendly Version

By Betty Anders

Herald-Whig Staff Writer

Quincy University's 143rd commencement took place Sunday, with 233 undergraduates and 40 graduates earning degrees before a capacity crowd that filled Pepsi Arena.

One of those graduates, Resa Hellenthal of Galesburg, sat among the students and listened to keynote speaker Kevin Breheny speak. However, Hellenthal could not see Breheny as he spoke, because she is legally blind.

The blindness is due to premature retinopathy, a result of complications during her premature birth. Hellenthal is philosophical about her blindness, rather than viewing it as a hardship.

"I don't see it as a handicap," she said. "I've had it all my life. I don't see it as unusual."

Choosing the right college after graduation from Galesburg High School was important. Hellenthal's father, Mike Hellenthal, is a former Quincy High School teacher and coach, and he gently tried to nudge his daughter toward Quincy.

"My dad would joke and drop hints," said Resa Hellenthal.

Her freshman year brought on tough adjustments in lifestyle, as well as challenges in academics, but she persevered. She said it helped that the campus was small and easy to navigate.

"In Galesburg, everyone knew my story. It was comfortable there," she said. "I was in a new place (at Quincy). I don't pick up on visual cues — a facial expression, body language. I couldn't read people. It's hard dealing with people outside my comfort zone."

She credits George Meyer, a family friend and dean of the School of Education at QU, with facilitating her transition.

"If it wasn't for George, I wouldn't be where I am," said Hellenthal. "He's the rock that's kept me here. As a friend and advisor, he believed in me and fought for me when others didn't."

Hellenthal graduated with a degree in educational studies with a minor in sports management. She's willing to explain to anybody who asks about how she deals with her blindness. "I'm free about my history," she said.

She gave credit to her mother, Janice Dutell, for taking her time with her, helping her read and providing social interaction.

She advises others with similar handicaps to go for their goals.

"Dream big and stick with those dreams," she said. "The doctors said I would never get this far, but here I am on Mother's Day, a graduate."
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.