Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,176
0 members and 1,176 guests
No Members online

Old 02-27-2003, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Spring Rush 2003

how'd everyone do with rush this year ? We have winter rush and wound up with 18 guys. we hope to have 2 or 3 more in the spring. I know some of your schools have fall rush but I'm just curious to see how the betas are doin around the country
Old 02-28-2003, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Formal Fraternity rush was supposed be big this year at Nebraska b/c summer rush numbers were down....yeah that didn't happen.

Ended up that the outgoing IFC chair failed on his last campaign promise to have someone call every freshman guy in the dorms and let them know about rush...in the end a grand total of 7 guys showed.

Had winter rush happened it would not have affected Beta as we were one of 2 houses (out of 24) not accepting pledges.

Gearing up for Summer Rush though! Beta is the only fraternity house chosen by IFC to host greek life tours on HS senior visit days. NE State basketball tournament is coming up in a couple of weeks and will be the first time we can really promote Beta to potential rushees. Should get a couple of guys coming through hopefully!

Last edited by Betarulz!; 02-28-2003 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Rush numbers here were way down too. We got screwed a bit when a bunch of guys who were up at our house all fall decided not to go Greek (5 of them). This hurt our class in terms of quanitity, but more importantly, quality. Bad luck I guess. Now we need to regroup and hope to pull a few spring guys and get ready for next fall.

on a side note, we just got back from a visit to alpha chapter last weekend with the pledges. Had a good time and got a tour from H.H. this weekend is conclave at Purdue and should be kick-ass time. They have a great chapter there
Old 03-01-2003, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
My campus was recently said to have the lowest greek population, percentage-wise, in the country. It's low, something like 2-3%...

I blame the university president. Pretty much any thing bad that happens is blamed on the Greeks. There have also been crushing rules/regulations slapped on fraternitys and sororities the last few years.

Fall rush we had 13 pledges, 3 got balled, and spring we have 5, with probably 1 getting balled.

I'm getting fed up at the apathy shown by a lot of fraternitys on campus and by brothers. I've already decided that I'm going to head up rush for the rest of this year and over summer. I don't care if I get rush chair next year, but I just think that we need to start laying ground work right now. I'm filling out the RTS grant stuff and hopefully have it in by the end of this week.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah our rush chair got axed in the middle of the quarter by the kai committee which made things difficult. we did okay in the end but last year we got 24 and then 3 more in the spring. I dont know that we will have any spring guys this year. It just sucks that we lost a lot of momentum and now we have to start from scratch this summer and try to get back on top.

its good that youve decided to take over. I had to do the same thing a few years ago when nobody was really making the effort to rush. luckily, the pledges we have now are a very motivated group and should be able to help out a lot with rush next year.

in good news, Im glad to see that our two newest colonies, Columbia and East Carolina both seem to have gotten off to a great start. I have a question though, do you think our GF is too "positive"? Other fraternities let the chapters know when another chapter has been closed or if other not so great things happen, just so we all remember to stay responsible. however, our GF loves to make it seem like everything is perfect in Beta. I wish we got more of the "real deal". wow, thats a really random thought...
Old 03-04-2003, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JerzeeBoy26

in good news, Im glad to see that our two newest colonies, Columbia and East Carolina both seem to have gotten off to a great start. I have a question though, do you think our GF is too "positive"? Other fraternities let the chapters know when another chapter has been closed or if other not so great things happen, just so we all remember to stay responsible. however, our GF loves to make it seem like everything is perfect in Beta. I wish we got more of the "real deal". wow, thats a really random thought...
I don't know about this. I personally would rather to hear good things rather than bad things, particularly if it were something that would happen to be about my own chapter.

I do get the feeling that our GF is way more helpful than some other GLO's inter/nationals/GF/whatever. My 2nd cousin is in Kappa Sig and they aren't doing so hot and rather than help them their Headquarters/grand council decided that rather than help them, they would open some new colonies. He's the chapter president and keeps telling me how he feels like he's getting stabbed in the back by the executives of Kappa Sig and stuff like that. It has made me really appreciate that Beta is governed by the General Convention, and that the undergrads have the power. I also think that this is why we don't hear about chapters being closed, b/c most of that type of legislation takes place during convention. There is only so much that the GF can do in terms of disciplining chapters because any such actions will have to be approved by the General Convention (as I understand it). Obviously somethings are built into the Constitution (like failure to pay dues and such) but other actions subject to review as I understand it.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont know about that. The GF has closed three chapters during this school year and I doubt anyone but the Board of Trustees had anything to say about that. But I agree, our GF is very helpful and runs better than any other national orgs that I know of. However, I still think it would be good to hear all of the chapter news so that we had a better idea of whats goin on with our chapters around the country
Old 07-09-2003, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BetaMike24 Send a message via Yahoo to BetaMike24
I'm from the Zeta Eta chapter at San Jose State University, and we had a pretty bad Spring 2003 rush, but Fall 2003 rush looks very promising. Three Betas here, including myself, are in the Orientation program as leaders, and we've already started rushing for Fall 2003 within the programs when the Freshmen come to stay in the dorms during the programs. I've personally rushed about 9 Freshmen guys for Fall 2003. Starting early = good!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't know if you guys have checked it out, but I've detailed all of Nebraska's summer rush up this point in the "Summer Rush Begins" thread. As of today (july 10th) we've got 16 guys signed, and 8 other bids out. Hopefully we'll finish out strong and get the rest of those guys to commit. (FYI, Summer Rush is our only recruiting period that we usually take part in...Fall formal rush might see at most 1 guy we'll take out the perhaps 25 who go through the whole process. For chapter/ bonds in pledge class/ housing reasons we dont' participate in Spring formal rush.)

Oh, and Mike welcome to GC! Hope you'll stick around.

~kai~