GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,370
0 members and 1,370 guests
No Members online

Old 01-10-2006, 09:27 AM

Neighbor's Yippy Dog

Has anyone had to confront their neighbor about their barking dog? How did you do it and what did you say?

The lady who lives in the condo below me just got a new boyfriend. She spends her nights at his place leaving her two dogs alone all night. The dogs bark at all hours of the night. Ear plugs don't mask the sound. I know that the resident's who live under her are annoyed too because I've heard them screaming "SHUT UP!"

She's really nice and I don't want to ruin our friendly relationship but I would love to get some sleep.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Neighbor's Yippy Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel
Has anyone had to confront their neighbor about their barking dog? How did you do it and what did you say?

The lady who lives in the condo below me just got a new boyfriend. She spends her nights at his place leaving her two dogs alone all night. The dogs bark at all hours of the night. Ear plugs don't mask the sound. I know that the resident's who live under her are annoyed too because I've heard them screaming "SHUT UP!"

She's really nice and I don't want to ruin our friendly relationship but I would love to get some sleep.
When I was younger, my parents had a problem with our neighbors. My parents kindly asked the neighbors to keep their dogs quiet. When that didn't work, they suggested that they wouldn't want to have to call the police (I'm from a small city), or someone else in authority. The barking stopped soon afterward.

Have you talked to her about it yet? If she's really nice, she'll make the effort, especially if it's bothering the rest of the building. I would think that would be easier for her than dealing with all her neighbors or the condo association.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

"This Akita, Evita, just won't shut up..."

I swear, that's the first thing that ran though my head when I read the title of this thread!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

I would either leave an anonymous note saying a bunch of people can't sleep or try and egg another neighbor into the confrontation and then stay clean.

-Rudey
Old 01-10-2006, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The fraternity house behind my old apartment building had a little yippy dog. I didn't really mind it. I just kinda blocked out his barking, but it drove my roommate crazy. I jokingly told her that she should buy one of those dog whistles and use it everytime the dog barks. That way, it'll bother the dog but the guys won't hear it and won't know what she's doing, and after a few times, maybe the dog would learn to associate his barking with a painful, high-picked whistle. My roommate never did get a dog whistle. She just continued to complain about the dog for the rest of the semester.

PSimissU
Old 01-10-2006, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Gaaaaah! I have the same problem, and I don't know what to do about it either! My lease says I am not allowed dogs, but the girls in the two apartments below me are the landlord's daughters so of course they can. Let me tell you, those dogs--especially that damn Jack Russell--are the most annoying, barking-est things ever! They just won't shut up! I would love to fit them both with muzzles. To make matters worse, those nasty girls don't clean up after the dogs so I can't even count the number of times I've gotten dog crap on my shoes as I was walking through the yard...not cool.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
"This Akita, Evita, just won't shut up..."

I swear, that's the first thing that ran though my head when I read the title of this thread!
I am so glad someone else thought the exact same thing!

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 01-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

ask your mailman if he will kidnap the dog, then you, the mailman and a friend ride out into the country with the dog, find a friendly looking house, and drop the pooch off on the front stoop........oh, wait...that was a seinfeld episode.

seriously, you will have to have a talk with your neighbor--perhaps you and the neighbors below her could meet with her at the same time, so that she knows it is a real problem. if a resolution cannot be found, talk to the condo manager, and as a last resort the condo board.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

You definetely need to talk to the neighbor- but be very careful as to how you approach her.

This is an example of what's recently happened to me:

I'm a dog owner, and I was walking my dog when he stopped to lift his leg on a tree. Well, apparently a neighbor's son likes to play there (which I had no idea about), and the neighbor just happens to be getting out of his car- and he screams out "Godd****t!" And then he comes over and was like "i wish you wouldn't do that, blah blah blah". <-Definetely not a good idea to act this way.

If he had actually been nice and had just said "ma'am, my son likes to play around this tree, and i would really appreciate it if you'd keep your dog from going on it" or something like that- It wouldn't have been a big deal. I could see his point (although he lets his kid play next to a parking lot where ppl like to speed instead of playing in a on the other side of his apt. where there's no traffic, but whatever) and I would have no problem with it. Instead though, he decided to be really rude (I mean seriously, does that warrant him cursing???? What tree HASN'T been pissed on at one time or another) and considering I was following all of the rules in the agreement with my apartment complex, I make it a point now to actually get my dog to relieve himself there!

So definetely just try and be as nice as possible, like "i know you're spending more time with your boyfriend, but would you mind....", that way you seem understanding, and it won't make the situation worse than it already is.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
I would either leave an anonymous note saying a bunch of people can't sleep or try and egg another neighbor into the confrontation and then stay clean.

-Rudey
Whatever happened to the old days of spreading rat poison around in the yard for the dog to find?

J/K.

Last edited by PiKA2001; 01-10-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:49 PM

Thanks y'all.

I'm trying to think of the right things to stay to her so that I don't come off as being confrontational.

She has terriers although I can't remember what kind. They're the tiny, black, yippy kind. They're mean too. Whenever I'm outside walking my dog, her dogs go into attack mode. They try running over to my dog. She literally almost gets dragged with them (and those dogs weigh probably only 13 pounds each). They also growl at people who walk by.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

First, I agree with everyone and my opinions will just be restated so I will say something new.

Now that you hav read the disclaimer...

Say that you barbeque dogs. And when you say it, look as pyschotic as you can.

Ok c'mon. Bring all the asian dog jokes. I'd love to hear them.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyTheDon
Koreans like to "wok" their dogs.

Sorry, couldn't help it!
Old 01-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyTheDon
First, I agree with everyone and my opinions will just be restated so I will say something new.

Now that you hav read the disclaimer...

Say that you barbeque dogs. And when you say it, look as pyschotic as you can.

Chuck Norris lives by only one rule in life - No Asian Girls. Dogs cooked in Asian seasonings probably are not acceptable either.

-Rudey
Old 01-10-2006, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Koreans like to "wok" their dogs.

Sorry, couldn't help it!

Ahaha nice nice.