GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,136
0 members and 1,136 guests
No Members online

Old 02-08-2005, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

What do you think about COB??

So I'm starting a new thread because I hadn't found one pertaining to this... so sorry if this has already been discussed!!

I was just interested in what everyone thinks about COB (Continuous Open Bidding.) Out of the thirteen sororities at my school, only the few who didn't make quota participate... and my sorority has never participated so I'm not very familiar with it.

Right now one of my friends is participating in COB and, after attending just one event at a house where she had only known one girl, she was told she would attend another event and that then she would receive a bid. Maybe I'm just biased because I went through formal recruitment, but I don't know how I feel about that. I know that COB can be positive, but I can't imagine that any house would feel comfortable inviting a girl into their chapter having only met her once. How do you know you have the right girls and not just the ones that wanted to end up in a house?? (I mean, it's hard enough to choose the right girls after four days of socials in formal recruitment!!)

Again, maybe I'm just biased because I went through formal... (days of socials, dresses, running to houses in heels, R.C.'s, hollerin' fraternity men and all!!) As stressful as that was, I just can't imagine it any other way. Then again, as I said, I'm not really familiar with COB so maybe it's just my school... how do you all feel about COB?? Would you prefer it to formal recruitment??
Old 02-08-2005, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I would prefer a hybrid between formal and informal. Maybe PHC has an official name for it that i don't know. I like that informal you can have a relaxed, well maybe more relaxed, time and a lot less stressed.

But there is no way that i would accept a bid after just meeting someone one time, nor would i extend a bid to someone after meeting them just once. I really don't think that you can get to know someone that quickly, unless you have seen them outside of rush. if that is the case them maybe i could understand. But that does not sound like your friends situation.

I think there are a lot of wonderful qualities in informal rush, but i would need to meet someone a lot more than once before i extended them a bid.

Hope everything works our for your friend.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

COB or COR is different on every campus

I see what you are saying, but on the flip side your friend knows someone in the chapter so that counts for a lot in COB at most schools. Also, often a chapter that is COBing actually spends more time getting to know a PNM because there is more chance for one-on-one time, more in depth conversations, going out in "real life" situations --- as a result the time spent with a COB PNM usually adds up to more time spent with the Formal Recruitment PNM before bidding.

Here are a few good discussions on how the process varies from school to school:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...s+Open+Bidding

Old 02-08-2005, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi there-

Here @ Kent State, all 6 of the sororities do some form of COR in the spring. COR seems to have a negative connotation at other schools, but not here because we ALL have spots to fill in the spring.

We all do it in pretty much the same way. We do chalk, hang flyers, and have display cases to advertise. All the chapters structure COR the same way. Girls are usually invited to a minimum of 3 events to maximize the amount of sisters they meet. After that, it's up to the chapter to decide whether or not she will get a bid.
(Some chapters do bid faster than others because sometimes they already know a woman would make a good sister)

I came into my chapter through COR, and it was really nervewrecking knowing that I was being invited to all these events, hanging out at the house, going to lunch with them, and really falling in love with the sorority BUT didn't know if they were going to bid me. But it was great because by the 3rd event, I'd met the enitre chapter. I had more one on one conversations than I probably would have during formal.

We tend to do better as a chapter at COR because most of us enjoy just hanging out with PNM's as opposed to having 5-7 minute conversations during formal.

PROS:
In my opinion COB is alot less structured which is a big relief on the sister side of things. We also have no quota/total/bid list things to be concerned about.

From the rushee end, it's more flexible with their schedules at times, less worries about what to wear, the event ideas may be alot more fun and less about glitz and glam which makes some girls nervous.

I honestly think COB gives you a more personal look into the chapter because you get to know them in their natural environment, instead of formal recruitment which is really glamorous with its planned outfits, skits, balloons, glitter, etc.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-11-2005 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that in a lot of cases the girls that we got through COB turned out to be much better sisters and contributed more to the chapter. Perhaps maybe b/c we got to know them much better through COB than through formal rush.

Almost every chapter on my campus COBs.

Don't knock it until you've tried it There are a lot of fabulous women out there who never thought about going greek until someone invited them to a COB event. There's also a lot of great women who don't want to deal with the hassle and fakeness of rush. Can't say that I blame them.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I would think that each chapter must set their own parameters as to when giving a bid is an option during COB. I know that at one of the schools that I advise, a PNM must come to at least 2 COB events before being offered a bid; at other places, I've seen girls get bids the same night as when they came to the party...because either they know the person already or whatever.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

With COB it is very hard to set steadfast rules. We bidded some women who came to no formal events, they'd hung out with sisters and such, knew a lot of women in the house.Other times we had women who came to 5 events, but you never really were able to get to know them, and perhaps didn't bid them. Iliked that we were flexible and not the superficial formal rush. To be honest I like the idea of formal rush NOW, my frosh year however, it would have terrified me and I would never have had the greek experience I've had.

It depends on the person. I really do like the idea of having both,but without the negative connotation.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

as a collegiate

i loved formal recruitment, and i still love it now as an advisor. i like the pomp and circumstance, the glitz and the structure. it's not that i don't like cor-i just feel more comfortable in that structured setting.

to address your friends situation, maybe the bid information your friend heard was just general information about how that particular sorority(or chapter) operates. in other words, maybe what was said was something to the effect of"we will be having several cor events the next two weeks. we'll be extending bids throughout the process but only after "you" have attended at least 2 events." and maybe they shared that information with the pnms because several had inquired about the bid process, or just because the sorority wanted the pnms to understand how the process works at their house.

some chapters flourish in the structured recruitment setting while others are great at informal encounters with pnms. it takes all kinds!!lisa
Old 02-10-2005, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
Well, in my opinion, it's good and bad.

Good because:

-Much less structured, so you can take a girl out to dinner or hang out with her and watch TV and get to know her better than over the course of 3 parties where you talked to her for a total of 25 minutes.

-There are girls intimidated by the fall formal recruitment that are more likely to come out, so it's like being able to do recruitment twice and meeting more girls than other groups.

Bad because:
-Unfortunately here, not everyone does COR, so it's kind of looked down on by certain chapters. It's chapters that didn't make quota during fall rush, mostly, and those that graduate a LOT of seniors. (Example- We didn't make quota last fall. DZ graduated like 20something girls last December I think.)

-Sometimes it's hard to meet girls and get them to come to events you hold, especially if you're an upperclassman. Example: I'm a junior, and most girls I meet now are either already in a sorority or don't want to be.

As far as giving bids, we try to have a girl come to at least 3-4 events before extending one. Even though you get to talk to them more casually, you still want to meet them a few times just to make sure they're not cookoo.

Anyway, COR is a lot like formal recruitment: it's got its pros and cons, and they pretty much balance out.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's important to note that often times cob events provide the chapter with more quality time with PNM than formal rush.

Think about it. From my personal experiences, only a few members get to meet a rushee during formal. If everyone gets to meet a PNM, then it is probably a very brief introduction. In COB, more members have longer periods of time to meet with PNMs.

I actually think that in terms of actually getting to know a PNM, COB is more effective. You get them in a real-life situation instead of a sterile, 20 minute conversation on their major and hometown. In COB, you get to see how they interact with members. You get to see how they are in a social setting. I would say you stand a better chance of seeing someone's personality in COB than if you go through all rounds of formal.

Of course, some people like myself, HATE formal. It made me feel SO uncomfortable. COB always gave me the opportunity to get a personal feel for the PNM. It was also how I joined. I did not like the structure of formal. It was extremely intimidating. COB makes a lot of people more comfortable.

I am glad that there are both formal and informal recruitment methods in the NPC.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter also seems to do better with COB. We're the only chapter currently not at total, so we are the only chapter doing COB. We've gotten some really awesome girls through it. Our chapter policy is that the PNM has to have been over to our house at least 2 times in order to receive a bid. No exceptions. It's very laid-back at my chapter. Last weekend we held 2 COB events. We made root beer floats and watched the Breakfast Club. The next day we all went bowling.

I think COB can definately be a good thing. Not only is it easier for the sisters to meet and watch the PNM in social settings, it's easier for the PNM to meet the sisters, see what they're like, and get a good idea of the sisterhood in the chapter.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaGirl22
yes, it was the same in our chapter. fall and spring were always a little different though.

in fall, all of the chapters participated. the chapters currently at total were only allowed to take 5 (which i ENTIRELY disagreed with), but by the time graduations and summer drop outs happened, most chapters weren't at total anyhow, so they just took enough to fill total. there was a unified bid day set by panhellenic and every house had a certain number of parties that were open and then usually 1 ot 2 invite only parties. they also used a form of release figures as well as informal recruitment is VERY popular on our campus (in fall '01, more women participated in informal recruitment than formal)

in spring after bid day, we would basically COB up until around 2 weeks before intiation. we also had the rule that a woman had to come to at least 2 events before we would bid her. we did this in order to get to know the woman (and from experience, i can tell you that you can get to know more about a pnm in 2 informal events than in an entire formal recruitment), and to make sure we did freak her out by making it seem we were coming on too strong and we ALWAY had more success in informal recruitment anyway, but i think that is changing
Loved by a Zeta Psi
Old 02-11-2005, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
The way COB works here is very very weird. We (the sororities) cannot hold recruitment parties other than those during formal rush. When we COB girls, we are COBing girls who either a) signed independent b) did not bid match or c) are off quota (side note: this usually happens in the even that you forget to include a girl on your off quota list..like we did! woops!). The second night we have our pledges (always a monday), the active chapter sits down and goes over the list of possible COB's. Actives usually champion girls who got cut or overlooked during formal, and they are extended a bid through the Greek Life office.

Several of our girls suicided a sorority that is very different from ours, and weren't offered bids. But Tau Delta offered them one and they accepted. I was cut from every house after novelty round,rejected during bid match, and then extended a bid from Tau Delta even after I was told that I didn't match. I'm so glad I accepted!
Old 02-11-2005, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems like there really are a lot of positive things about COB... especially getting to know girls. I never thought about the fact that, even though you may see the PNMs fewer times, you probably do get a better idea from seeing them interact with the chapter as a whole... not just a few girls talking about "What's your major?? Where are you from?? Where'd you go to high school??" (We go to thirteen parties on our first day of formal recruitment... and let's say on average you talk to three girls... you have that same conversation 39 TIMES!! )

Still, it seems a little unfair to the girls who go through a week of recruitment for others to only go to a dinner or out a couple times and receive a bid. It just seems so easy. But I guess it doesn't matter as long as your numbers where they need to be!!

It's just weird for me to hear these stories of chapters actually doing better through COB than formal recruitment... that's not the way it is here at all. During recruitment last fall, quota was 62 and only three houses didn't make it. (They're all VERY strong... so I can't imagine they were more than a few girls short.) I guess we're lucky to be so strong here at Mizzou!! (Over 1000 girls went through recruitment last semester!! And I was one of them!!)
Old 02-11-2005, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
Well I just thought I would add my two cents into this topic. When I was active, my campus was fairly dependent on COR. There were 6 NPC sororities on campus and the two other sororities that did not participate in formal recruitment. The problem was that the campus was not exactly supportive of greek life. So much of the time the numbers were low in terms of women signing up for fall recruitment. So my chapter would end up with some new members through formal recruitment, but were generally in need of finding more.

COR worked great on my campus cause it gave a chance for us to find those women who might thinking badly of greek life because of what they heard from the university or their roommate or their family or their friends. We were able to show them how wonderful greek life really is. I found much of the time we did get to know the pnm better through COR... Especially cause many of the events on our campus were a handful of sisters (10 or so) hanging out with the 2-3 pnms at a time. These types of events really let you get to know the pnms. Then we also would have larger events where the whole chapter was present. Yet they would last for multiple hours and the pnms were just hanging out with our chapter that night. As a result again you got to know them better then the 15-40 minute parties my campus had for formal recruitment.

The only problem I have ever really found on my campus is with COR, is that sometimes women will only go to one sorority's events and not get along with them then avoid greek life from there on all together. As on many campuses our sororities vary greatly in terms of their sisters, so just because they don't fit into one chapter does not mean they won't fit into greek life.