Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 1,095
3 members and 1,092 guests
Cookiez17, navane

Old 08-28-2005, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Problems With Beta Sigma Phi

Ladies - especially those of us in younger chapters. What are your problems with the international organization? I am compling a list for International. I want HONEST issues, not complaining. If you have a problem, what can be done to fix it? If theres an issue, what can we do?

Please list your problems, possible solutions, your chapter name and your age. I will then be able to make a good list and give it to International.

Please think deeply about it!!
Old 08-28-2005, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that there are some major gaps in the friendly venturing. You can't simply give someone who knows nothing about us a box and say "go ahead make your own chapter." It doesn't work that way. I suggest that we create a mentoring system. Have state facilitators that know where all of the FVing is going on and local mentors/ advisors or if not possible, help them by email or on the phone.

Jamie Brandon
PA Nu Iota

I hope everyone is safe from hurricane katrina!
Old 08-29-2005, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OkieRose Send a message via Yahoo to OkieRose
Luckily we have a chapter overseeing our friendly venture and a CC to answer questions, because the book really leaves something to be desired.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

That's awesome that they are there for you. It's sad to say, I've been a Beta for 5 years and I don't even know a Beta Sigma Phi song....I'm glad that you have the opportunity that most of us haven't.

Mitzpah
Love and Hugs
Jamie
Old 08-29-2005, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OkieRose Send a message via Yahoo to OkieRose
That being said, I completely agree that there are gaps to friendly venturing.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

After thinking about this, I going to echo what I have heard many of my sisters say.

It makes no sense to have three different Beta websites for information. I think that items in the "Strawberry Patch" should be moved to a "Sisters Only" side. We don't want to give away all the fun! There should be one betasigmaphi.org that has info on our history, how to join (pledging and membership by invitation should be discussed!!), a list of every chapter (contact info doesn't necessarily have to be there, but more power to ya if the individual chapter puts it there), a password protected "Sisters Only" side, and for Pete's sake- update the site regularly! I'm not talking about a complete overhaul every month, but please put the most current info on there (Ahem- clip art with 2000-2001 theme, it's still there)!

Please do not overlook the young women who are interested in Beta, they are the future of this organization. Perhaps a contest to try to get every chapter to FV a chapter for younger women? Just some ideas.

Sorry so long, but I really feel strongly about this. I want to feel pride in my sorority, but right now I'm kind of disgusted with many things.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I have expressed this on another thread; but there doesn't seem to be a driving force to recruit younger members. International collectively needs to encourage city councils to really encourage established chapter to recruit younger members, or perhaps friendly venture a chapter for younger members. I think many young women, esp. recent collegiate sorority alumnae would be really interested in fiding the same sort of friendships they cultivated in college. Most of these women are not recruited, and when they finally search the internet, and come across BSP they get to meet a chapter where they are the youngest by a decade or more. Not that meaningful friendships can't be established with that age difference, just that many may get discouraged. I'm a very very new member, and I'm 26.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I totally agree! There is no driving force. The older sisters think that they are too old to do anything and are content to leave things the way they are...if this continues, Beta Sigma Phi is in even more jeopardy than it is now.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Exactly! I so agree. I am the youngest member in my city by far(Bellingham, WA) ...and I am in my 30s. I have recently taken a leave of abscence

I might check out Surrey, BC

Quote:
Originally posted by betasigrose
I totally agree! There is no driving force. The older sisters think that they are too old to do anything and are content to leave things the way they are...if this continues, Beta Sigma Phi is in even more jeopardy than it is now.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Dues are too low, as its the new member fee. They should be raised to a level where corners don't have to be cut just to maintain an artificially low price. Instead of making significant changes (like the pin design, the Torch, convention programming) to save a few dollars, dues should be re-evaluated on a regular basis to make sure that they cover the needs of the sorority, and raised when necessary, instead of trying to eliminate as much as possible to keep them at $24.

Last edited by OrigamiTulip; 09-01-2005 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Absloutely, I have magazine subscriptions that are more $$ and are of far less worth!