GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,142
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, CalderTide
» Online Users: 1,431
0 members and 1,431 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2006, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Shortest period of time you've worked before quitting...

What was the shortest period of time you've worked at a job before quiting?
Just curious.

Mine was an hour. This was 2 years ago unfortunately.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeykiss1974
Just curious.

LOL, I want to know the story behind that one! Mine was less than a week, it was a long term contract position that I left early.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Four hours. It was a canvassing position in college. I didn't know what canvassing was when I accepted the job and once I found out.....I was OUT.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeykiss1974
Just curious.

I want to know too!

I worked four hours and was fired! I was working this temporary job and during lunch hour (which was 30 minutes) I was tired and decided to lay my head down on this sofa. I woke up an hour and 15 minutes later.... damn that sofa was cozy!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Four hours at Abercrombie. It was just me and the manager, who didn't bother to train me (even though I had never worked retail before), and about half an hour into my shift he decided to disappear to his office in the back. FOR THE ENTIRE TIME I WAS THERE.

Oh, and did I mention it was during a big sale, too?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

A couple days. I had signed up to become a balloon twister (yes, the ones in bars and restaurants) but it sounded like a bum deal. I got the job, ordered the stuff and then quit. (I returned the balloons.)
Old 08-08-2006, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterXO
Four hours. It was a canvassing position in college. I didn't know what canvassing was when I accepted the job and once I found out.....I was OUT.
Ditto!! (and I'd totally forgotten about that job til I saw this!)
Old 08-08-2006, 09:49 PM

One week at Express. It was horrible. Management basically told you to annoy the customer into signing up for the credit card or buy things they don't need. It was winter break during college and I was hoping to work full time so I could make some money but they were only giving me these random, 3-hour shifts.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
2 days at Cinnabon. I had to leave after I saw the ingrediants they used in their Cinnabons (tons of butter and sugar, pretty much) and all the freebies I could get in one shift (2 Cinnabons). And after I left work everyday, I would smell like it...so I bounced. I couldve easily gained 10 pounds in a week working over there.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
3 months. I'm not a light job jumper...but seriously, this was hell on earth. The boss was a racist, sexist jerk who told us in no uncertain terms were we to waste our time waiting on minorities (PS, he didn't call them that...imagine the worst racist word for everyone not-caucasian). He also played favourites. He yelled at me for being late when I was coming from swim practice halfway across town, but wouldn't yell at my friend coming form swim practice late less than 2 miles away. Got crap hours. Had crap management. Got crap pay. I have no idea how I lasted 3 months (must have really really needed that money). But I've yet to go back there.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

One month for me.

A girl who worked as an assistant at the place where I interned last summer lasted two days. It was a very small company (just the woman who ran it, her and me) and the boss was out at meetings all day. For some reason, we were locked out of the office, so she got mad and never came back.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
When I was in college I worked some temp jobs. Man, can you get put in some weird places there. This one job I worked was at some place using this drill-mechanism to bore holes in parts for boats. It was a horrid, hot, loud environment, standing for like 8 hours getting home in the wee hours of the morning. Yeah, I worked there one night and said F*** that noise...

I saw on the news later on that the place caught fire and burned down. I can't say it saddened me.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

2 weeks doing telemarketing. it sucked so much
Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

One one my first jobs during college was at Olan Mills, a photography studio. I was the annoying sales call person who would call people during the dinner hour and try to convince them to order sets of portraits. Our supervisor, or 'She who sat outside the whole shift and smoked' would keep a daily tally of who sold the most. I was never on the top of that list. I hated calling people because I knew I was annoying them and I think it came through in my voice. I started the job on a Monday and quit by that Friday. I don't think I even sent in a notice, I just never went back.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

A week at two places:

The first was a local pizza place. I was accused by my boss that I made her friend's dog BITE me.

The second was Cedar Point. They kept sending me place to place to work, and wouldn't let me take a break and eat when I was having troubles with my blood sugar. I ended up out cold on the floor in a kitchen. The cool part was I only really worked two days, and had one day of training, so I spent a lot of time riding the rides.