GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,158
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,108
1 members and 1,107 guests
AOIIalum

Old 05-24-2000, 11:56 PM
AXOgirl

Smile Meeting a Sister/Brother

As a recent graduate and new Alpha Chi Omega alum, just yesterday I found out that a woman I work with is also an Alpha Chi Omega alum. It was so interesting sharing stories and hearing about her AXO experiences.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any fun stories about meeting other members of their sorority/fraternity. Where and how did you meet them?

Oh, I've also met alums in the airport and the mall while I was wearing letters!
Old 05-25-2000, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Since my sorority puts emphasis on lifelong membership and activity, I meet many older women who are still active in our sorority, AKA, and it wonderful to hear about their contributions and commitment. I recently attended a graduate chapter meeting in which our golden and silver star sorors were being honored. Hearing about how these women dedicated themselves to the causes of our sorority, some more than 50 or 60 years ago, was powerful, especially those who had attended colleges that were not receptive or responsive to African-Americans at the time, but who contributed to their college and local communities anyway.

As for meeting sorors closer to my age, I have been blessed to meet in person several sorors I "met" on the web, and it has been very positive. I've met one from NYC, one from CA, and two right here in my hometown.

My line sister and I got free drinks on a flight once because the man behind the counter noticed my AKA umbrella and he turned out to be a member of Alpha Phi Alpha, our unofficial "brother" fraternity. I've also gotten in nearly free at a comedy club because the woman at the door noticed my key chain and identified herself as a soror. These little encounters were fun!

DG
Alpha Kappa Alpha
Spring, 1990
Old 05-25-2000, 09:42 AM

Talking

I got a list of local alums from our nationals and the 1st name on the list happened to be the girl who sits across from me at work!! IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL!
Old 05-25-2000, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Two years ago, a new co-worker was being introduced to everyone. She noticed a pink and green pen in my hand and asked if I was a member of AKA. As it turned out, she was one of the sorors in the grad chapter I remembered from my days as a debutante. She has become a great co-worker and close friend.
Old 05-25-2000, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

When I was in school I applied for a job at a local restaurant. I put down that I was in Beta Theta Pi Fraternity. The assistant manager that interviewed me just so happened to be a Beta Thata Pi Alum also (syracuse). We also shared stories/experiences of Beta and it was very interesting. I've never met any Betas at the airport or at the mall. I have met a few in Bars and on road trips. Road trips were a blast in school too. My favorite was U of Illinois(Champagne(Huge Greek School by the way), Ohio State and a couple trips to Virginia Tech and University of Maryland Beta Theta Pi Chapters. I have also have connected with dozens of my brothers online.

Kevin Mullinix
Beta Theta Pi Alum
Epsilon Mu Chapter
George Mason University
Old 05-25-2000, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Cool

My sorority is too small (and the chapters too far apart) for such chance encounters...however I have an interesting story about alum-connections that ended up in my sorority's expansion to my university. Bear with me, there's a lot of background here....

I was one of those kids who came to school thinking that the greek lifestyle was not for me. Unfortunately, I had heard mostly negative things about greeks, and most of those were stereotypes. I was *cautiously* receptive to the idea of going greek, as I had a met a few greek women who shared their positive experiences. Nevertheless, finances and a few other factors kept me from rushing my freshman year. And after seeing the absurdity of formal rush at my school, I decided to wait a while, and go through informal rush.

I lost interest for a while, because I got discouraged...I liked what I had researched about every house (GLO and BGLO)...and I liked all the ladies I met, at the houses that I was most curious about. But that "special something," was lacking. I didn't want to commit to anything if my heart wasn't fully in it.

Then something curious happend: I met all these guys, independantly of each other. I became friends with each of them, independantly of each other. I came to joke that they were my adoptive brothers (I was really missing my own kid brother, at this point). What I didn't realize, for a while, that they were all either initiated members or pledges of the same fraternity -- Triangle Fraternity.

I hung out with these guys a LOT. I came to know quite about them, esp. with respect to their individual committments to their chapter/brotherhood. I was impressed by them; they were literally rebuilding their chapter from the ground up. What impressed me the most was that they had chosen to commit themselves, in a brotherly fashion, to furthering the lives of young men in scientific and technical fields.

I realized that *this* kind of committment was the special something I had missed among the ladies I had met with...I was really interested in seeing a group of technically-minded women having fun and doing service together. I expressed my regret to these wonderful guys, that Triangle wasn't co-ed! I meant it as a joke...however one of their alum, who was present, didn't. He took me aside and mentioned that one of their chapters' up north used to have a little sister group, that formed its own sorority. He mentioned that I might want to look into them. He gave me the contact information for a brother at that chapter, who knew these women...the rest, as they say, is history. Within a couple of months, I was not only in touch with the ladies at the Alpha Chapter of Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies, but there was an interest group at my school, that was close to fulfilling the requirements to becoming the Beta Colony!

As you can see, I still smile when I think of this...connections are cool! [sheepish grin]...sorry for the length!

Old 10-16-2000, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Smile

I met a friend at work who is a Greek. Her mom is a Sigma Sigma Sigma and her best friend is also a Sigma Sigma Sigma. I was so psyched to hear that!!!
Old 10-16-2000, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

My best friend just moved to Austin, Texas. There are 1 million people in the downtown area alone. So we're chatting the other night, and I tell her about a sister I've "met" on here who lives in Austin. She's like "what's her name" and I'm like "Julie, but I can't remember her last name" and she says "NO WAY - I just met a Julie who owns an on-line store that is best friends with a co-worker..." and what do you know? Smack bam boom - my best friend works with a girl who's best friend I know from HERE who is also an AXO! WAY WAY COOL! But hey - AXO...one in a million !

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 10-17-2000, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

At my job a couple of years ago, this new guy started in my group, and after a few weeks we got to talking about colleges and fraternities, and it turned out that we were in the same fraternity. Not only that, but a few months later, we got a new guy in our department who happened to be the other guy's pledge son. Talk about a small world.
Old 10-17-2000, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I have met many wonderful frat and sorors in a variety of locales....an airplane being one of them. I have met Sorors one time at Boule, and then been able to stay at their homes for the weekend when travelling. I have met frat in amusement parks, everywhere! It’s great to run into Sorors at an event, or when you head to a comedy show to see Soror Sheryl Underwood and 1/3 of the spot is filled with Blue and White. I have a picture I took with a Soror a group of us met at the Bayou Classic just because she'd pledged in 1952! But the greatest pleasure is to be able to met and talk with a past Grand Basileus who pledged in 1929! You want to talk about honoring and respecting her knowledge and love of the Sorority? An amazing woman.

------------------
Finer Womanhood: the "Cat's Meow" Since 1920
Old 10-18-2000, 04:51 AM
GreekChat Member

My fraternity has a book with all the addresses of the more than 30,000 members all over the world. So whenever I travel, I could theoretically call them up and ask if I could drop by. Moreover, there are a lot of Alumni groups all over the country and it is a custom that you show up at their meeting place when you move there.
For example, two brothers of my chapter now live in the States and we will be three soon.... We are definitely going to meet (at the latest, when we are going to represent our fraternity in our official uniforms at one brother's wedding, next summer in Mass.!
http://www.kdstv-bodensee.de