GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,157
2 members and 1,155 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 04-17-2003, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Talking Chapter Founding...

What day was your chapter origionally founded?

The Gamma Gamma chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma was founded May 8th 1971. We were re-founded in 1986 after being closed for a year.

The Delta Omicron chapter of Tau Beta Sigma was founded in 1970.

The Nu Eta chapter of Beta Sigma Phi was founded on December 2nd 2002.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
The Zeta Nu chapter of TKE was founded January 17, 1959.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

The Omicron Chapter of Delta Zeta Sorority was founded on January 21, 1916 at the University of Pittsburgh.

We are one of only five single-letter chapters still active
Old 04-18-2003, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PSK480
The Nu Pentaton Chapter of Phi Sigma Kappa was founded Feb 11, 1967, in the study lounge in the basement of Ballentine Hall. Although as I recall being told our Ritual #1, Wesley Semple, was initiated at the General Convention in LA in 1965. That's what I remember reading somewhere.

KillarneyRose: My Step-Grandmother is a sister from Omicron. I'm not sure what years or what her maiden name was, I think she said late 50's early sixties.
Phi Sigma Kappa - Nu Pentaton #480
"From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -William Shakespeare
Old 04-18-2003, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

The Gamma Alpha chapter of Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity at San Diego State University was founded in December 1948. 25 gentlemen started what originally was the Alpha Chi fraternity and was chartered into 55 years of Delta Sig History at SDSU.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
The Epsilon Xi Chapter of Alpha Delta Pi was colonized by Gamma Rho at Arizona State University. Three women came to NAU in May of 1967 and interviewed 50-60 girls. Then bids were accepted by 30 girls. Finally on Feb 24, 1968 Epsilon Xi of Northern Arizona University was granted its charter.

This past Feb we celebrated 35 years of sisterhood...
Old 04-18-2003, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
The Beta Deuteron Charge of Theta Delta Chi was chartered on November 31, 1919 after 10 years of colonization.
83 years and strong!
Old 04-18-2003, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Sigma Phi's Alpha Alpha chapter first began as a local fraternity, Delta Kappa Rho in 1921. It was chartered in May 1923 as the 24th chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi.

The chapter closed down in 1938 and remained dormant for ten years before rechartering in 1948, moving into the old Gamma Phi Beta house on Boyd Street. They remained active until 1986.

In 1997, Alpha Alpha was rechartered again and remained so until April 2000 when it went inactive. Doubtful it would be rechartered anytime soon, though.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 04-18-2003, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Delta local was established in 1918 at Oklahoma with plans of petitioning to become a chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta.

Upsilon Chapter was founded on May 2, 1919! We started building our chapter house in 1927, and it was opened in 1928.

AlphaSigOU, which house on Boyd is the old Gamma Phi house? Is it the one almost on the corner of Boyd and Elm, or the white one that used to be next to it?
Old 04-18-2003, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

March 9th, 2002. I was one of our 30 founders -- the 5th initiated.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-18-2003, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
The Epsilon Gamma, Alpha class of AOII was founded April 29, 2000.
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OUKate
AlphaSigOU, which house on Boyd is the old Gamma Phi house? Is it the one almost on the corner of Boyd and Elm, or the white one that used to be next to it?
The old Gamma Phi house was at 601 W. Boyd, at the corner of College and Elm. It was condemned and demolished in 1974 and replaced by a new house which was further set back on the property, which gave it a new address, 500 S. College. (One of our former houses once stood where the Baptist Student Union is today.)

The new Alpha Sig house was revolutionary at the time because it was designed as an apartment complex (each room had a kitchen and separate bedroom); this allowed the alumni association to lease out unused apartments to non-members. Of course, this gave rise to the unflattering nickname of 'apartment dwellers'.

When the OU School of Music was being built, OU wanted to buy the property for possible further expansion; the alum association countered with an offer for a spot down in South Greek (where the KA house is -- it was an empty lot back when I was an undergrad). OU said no. (All the houses on South Greek are on University-owned land, but the houses belong to the fraternitoes and sororities.)

When our chapter closed in 1986, the alumni association sold the house and land to OU; the building was demolished and it is now just open space. The proceeds from the sale of the house were used to purchase the Phi Delta Theta 'ski lodge' at 1600 College (at the time, Phi Delt was inactive, and Sigma Tau Gamma recently vacated it when they lost their charter); when Alpha Sigma Phi folded in 2000, the house went back to the Phi Delts.

Oh yes... remember the Alpha Gam house well -- I was a houseboy there briefly back when I was an undergrad.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 04-18-2003, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by PSK480
KillarneyRose: My Step-Grandmother is a sister from Omicron. I'm not sure what years or what her maiden name was, I think she said late 50's early sixties.
VERY cool, PSK!
Old 04-18-2003, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Iota Iota Chapter of Delta Zeta was installed on April 26, 1969
Old 04-18-2003, 03:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The new Alpha Sig house was revolutionary at the time because it was designed as an apartment complex (each room had a kitchen and separate bedroom); this allowed the alumni association to lease out unused apartments to non-members. Of course, this gave rise to the unflattering nickname of 'apartment dwellers'.
I remember hearing something about this, it may have been from a KA.

Something interesting I found out about my sorority house -- After the Great Depression, when Alpha Gam came back on campus (we left for a couple of years, as did many of the chapters on campus), we shared our house with a fraternity!