GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,162
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 940
0 members and 940 guests
No Members online

Old 08-16-2006, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

The Numbers

Ok, i know that it has been discussed A LOT, but can a reputable NPC'er [ie Carnation b/c she's been through it a million times] explain what the point of a quota is, if you get to add girls on top of the quota. I don't have an MBA and i'm getting confused

Help Please!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rho4life
Ok, i know that it has been discussed A LOT, but can a reputable NPC'er [ie Carnation b/c she's been through it a million times] explain what the point of a quota is, if you get to add girls on top of the quota. I don't have an MBA and i'm getting confused

Help Please!!!

There are a number of threads, including very recent ones, that explains quota. You know what they say, 'Do a search'. But, if you go back through this forum and the recruitment forum you should find quota-related threads pretty fast.

Basically, from what I've learned on these boards, quota is a number that is set by the individual school's NPC that tells the maximum number of pnms each chapter can accept. Somehow, the quota number is calculated based on the number of girls going through rush and the number of girls each chapter can take, I think.

Another thing that I've learned is that although quota is set, not every chapter will make quota. Let's say quota at Big State this year is 65. Then that means each NPC chapter can extend 65 bids. A bid is an invitation to join a chapter. But, just because a chapter may extend 65 bids, not all girls who were extended a bid has to accept, so a chapter may fall short of the quota number. I think at this point a chapter can 'snap bid' - bid another pnm on bid day and / or COB / COR - continuous open bidding / recruitment. Both occur after the formal rush period so that a chapter can meet quota.

So, for NPC, they go through rounds and after each round a certain number of girls are cut - this is where you may read about release figures and mutual selection. As the chapters are 'cutting' pnms, the pnms are 'cutting' the chapters. Basically, as the rush week continues, more and more girls are cut, and the girls are cutting the chapters. You see, a NPC rush may start out with like 1300 or so girls, then that number has to be cut down so that each chapter can accept 65 in this example.

Then, you have exceptions, like quota plus. As I understrand it, this is where a chapter can accept a few more than the quota number. Let's say it's like 65 plus three. Ususlly those 'extra' three are not counted in the quota, they are the 'plus'.

Then there is another number that is important - total. This is the total number of active members in a chapter.

There is so much to NPC rush. Just take the time to go through some old threads. The NPC ladies have done a great job at explaining it.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I just went over to the 'Recruitment Stories' sub-forum and there is a 'Sticky'-thread at the top of the forum that explains what you want to know.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
That's pretty good sigmadiva!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopirose
That's pretty good sigmadiva!
Thank you!! I'm really fascinated with the NPC-way of recruitment. Very structured.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

See, that's why I LOVE my Sorors. I did a search before I posted, and there was a lot of conflicting suff, and it seemed.....floopy. So, I asked for help, and I would now like to thank Sigmadiva for her easy to comprehend response. Please continue with your regularly scheduled forum.

ps, I think the old search was better than the new one, i can't find ANYTHING now.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, guys! You explained it so well that I sure don't need to add anything!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
See, that's why I LOVE my Sorors. I did a search before I posted, and there was a lot of conflicting suff, and it seemed.....floopy. So, I asked for help, and I would now like to thank Sigmadiva for her easy to comprehend response. Please continue with your regularly scheduled forum.

ps, I think the old search was better than the new one, i can't find ANYTHING now.

You're welcome!! Like I said, it took me a while to get it. I just had to keep reading threads that discussed the process. It is soooo different from the way we do it in the NPHC.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Actually quota usually has nothing to do with the number of girls a chapter can take, unless you are at a campus where they do not use the quota system.

Chapters can take quota even if it puts their numbers above the campus total (the number set by Panhellenic to insure that no one chapter gets too large).
Chapters that do not take quota during formal recruitment can do so through Continuous Recruitment, even if it puts them over total.
Chapters not at total, even if they make quota, can still recruit until they reach total.

Also, quota is usually not determined until the last round of Recruitment. Some campuses are using a variable quota system now (aka quota range) in order to better serve the needs of their chapters.

Hope that helps.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

If you click on the search button at the top, and then click "Advanced Search" it will take you to the old search feature. I can't find anything on that quick search either!