GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Order
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 832
0 members and 832 guests
No Members online

Old 04-24-2002, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to seaprincess
Do fraternities and sororities serve their stated purposes?

Hey people! im doing an argumentative essay on frats/sororities, and i need some insights...both positive and negative...also, i need to know what made you join your frat/sorority, and does it benefit you or bring you down with the whole party scene? please reply..it would help me out a lot! thanks!
Old 04-24-2002, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

SeaPrincess, I'm sure you have the best of intentions, but you're not going to get a lot of useful/unbiased responses here! Very few people on this board are going to say anything negative about fraternity life to someone they don't already know well. Plus, the people on here are probably the more committed and involved members, so they're not necessarily a representative sample of the typical Greek. Anything you get will be anecdotal, which isn't enough to draw conclusions from.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TigerGirl52
You beat me to the punch Fuzzie Alum!

Allison
Old 04-24-2002, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Having seen a bit of the negative side, feel free to e-mail me. I can point you to some people to talk to.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by freethinker
Having seen a bit of the negative side, feel free to e-mail me. I can point you to some people to talk to.
Get the PM feature, it's easier to deal with.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 04-25-2002, 12:01 AM

Quote:
why am i not surprised, what's wrong didn't get a bid?
Old 04-25-2002, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KABillyMac Send a message via Yahoo to KABillyMac
Hmm, is it just me or has our forum got alot of traffic this week?
Old 04-25-2002, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

To tell the truth, I was actively recruited my freshman and sophomore years.

Unfortunately, I saw nothing for the Greek system to offer me, so I didn't join.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:30 AM

so being a part of a system that has nothing to offer you, why are you here?
Old 04-25-2002, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Call me a rebel...

Shoot, I just love making one-sided discussions two-sided. Besides, there's entirely too much parroting of the whole "fraternities and sororites R great!!!" line around here.

Feel free to invade my forum, but its denizens generally aren't as civil as people are around here.
Old 04-25-2002, 02:43 AM

Re: Call me a rebel...

Quote:
Shoot, I just love making one-sided discussions two-sided. Besides, there's entirely too much parroting of the whole "fraternities and sororites R great!!!" line around here.

Feel free to invade my forum, but its denizens generally aren't as civil as people are around here.
Or maybe because you have nothing better to do than stir up controversy with the brothers of Kappa Alpha Order in a pathetic attempt to get more hits on your site.

Oh and in response to the latter....no thanks, if i wanted to shoot the s%$ with some dungeon and dragon playing dorks i'd hang out at the university comic book store.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow...

Jeez, so anyone who either isn't in a fraternity or doesn't subscribe to their particular worldview is some kind of geek or nerd?

Man, there must be a pocket protector shortage somewhere.

For the record, I don't play D&D, but I do read the comic "Transmetropolitan."

I don't hang out at the local comic book store, though. Those kids creep me out.

So, in the words of Spider Jerusalem, listen up you incompetent little alcohol-enfeebled, over-sexed closet homosexual paddle-decorating... ah hell, why waste a good four-letter word over you?

I haven't made broad generalizations about frat boys, though my interactions with the fine brothers of (insert random Greek letters here) have been almost always bad.

I'll take your pea-brained "my-social-dick-is-bigger-than-yours" tactic of argument on this single post, however, frat guy.

Why? Your system is an elitist, arrogant, over-moneyed culture of buying one's friends and being redolent in the supposed security blanket of a "secret society." Wow---so you mean I have to pay dues to go to parties, meet people just like me, follow fascist dictates of how I should live and have "brothers" who will support me to the end?

Oh, and haze the hell out of me. Can't forget that.

Screw that. I've found all of the above in my college experience (and, mind you, I've got a doctorate, which I'd daresay beats your educational experience). Meeting people? Hey, despite all appearances, I'm a fairly friendly guy and will put up with someone until they annoy me.

Oh, and what about "brothers?" I've made friends in college (and one of them is actually a Greek!) who I'll keep until my dying day---people I'd kill or die for.

But wait! Your fraternity does a community service event twice a year, you say? If you really want to do some good, join Alpha Phi Omega, or enlist in Americorps. I'm a busy guy but I still find time to work at a local church and donate to multiple charities.

All that, and I didn't have to pay any cash per semester to do it aside from tuition.

All that, and I'm a fairly attractive white guy who dresses well. It's a shame that you, a full-fledged frat guy (I'm assuming guy, who knows) will skip any type of intellectual debate on the merits of a system I feel is outmoded and immediately assume anyone who might dare to question your little slice of life is completely out of the social loop.

Think twice before you make blanket generalizations, bonehead. They go both ways. You're a stunning credit to your organization.

Finally, the real attempt to draw hits to my site is the semi-naked woman. New pics are going up in a couple of days, by the way.

Last edited by freethinker; 04-25-2002 at 03:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Freethinker,

WTF does this have to do with KA? Take this to Greek Life or Chit Chat forum and I'm sure you will get more attention and your questions answered.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 04-25-2002, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Wow...

Quote:
Jeez, so anyone who either isn't in a fraternity or doesn't subscribe to their particular worldview is some kind of geek or nerd?

Man, there must be a pocket protector shortage somewhere.

For the record, I don't play D&D, but I do read the comic "Transmetropolitan."

I don't hang out at the local comic book store, though. Those kids creep me out.

So, in the words of Spider Jerusalem, listen up you incompetent little alcohol-enfeebled, over-sexed closet homosexual paddle-decorating... ah hell, why waste a good four-letter word over you?

I haven't made broad generalizations about frat boys, though my interactions with the fine brothers of (insert random Greek letters here) have been almost always bad.

I'll take your pea-brained "my-social-dick-is-bigger-than-yours" tactic of argument on this single post, however, frat guy.

Why? Your system is an elitist, arrogant, over-moneyed culture of buying one's friends and being redolent in the supposed security blanket of a "secret society." Wow---so you mean I have to pay dues to go to parties, meet people just like me, follow fascist dictates of how I should live and have "brothers" who will support me to the end?

Oh, and haze the hell out of me. Can't forget that.

Screw that. I've found all of the above in my college experience (and, mind you, I've got a doctorate, which I'd daresay beats your educational experience). Meeting people? Hey, despite all appearances, I'm a fairly friendly guy and will put up with someone until they annoy me.

Oh, and what about "brothers?" I've made friends in college (and one of them is actually a Greek!) who I'll keep until my dying day---people I'd kill or die for.

But wait! Your fraternity does a community service event twice a year, you say? If you really want to do some good, join Alpha Phi Omega, or enlist in Americorps. I'm a busy guy but I still find time to work at a local church and donate to multiple charities.

All that, and I didn't have to pay any cash per semester to do it aside from tuition.

All that, and I'm a fairly attractive white guy who dresses well. It's a shame that you, a full-fledged frat guy (I'm assuming guy, who knows) will skip any type of intellectual debate on the merits of a system I feel is outmoded and immediately assume anyone who might dare to question your little slice of life is completely out of the social loop.

Think twice before you make blanket generalizations, bonehead. They go both ways. You're a stunning credit to your organization.

Finally, the real attempt to draw hits to my site is the semi-naked woman. New pics are going up in a couple of days, by the way.
I just love how people who have absolutely no firsthand knowledge about Greek life feel that they know enough to criticize it. For someone who prides himself on being a "freethinker," you seem pretty narrowminded -- not to mention gullible for believing everything negative about Greeks that you read in the media. We don't need close-minded people preaching their own ignorant hatred of Greeks here.

Unless you have something worthwhile to contribute to this site, I suggest you go back to your own web board. After all, you've got semi-naked women to look at there, so what are you doing here anyway?

Last edited by dzrose93; 04-25-2002 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I think people just want to save money

None of this would be an issue if we just got bear costumes and duked it out man to man. We did that at our school when brothers from different fraternaties were angry with each other. So we had them both don bear costumes and fight it out.