GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,508
3 members and 1,505 guests
Xidelt

Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

GREEKS IN NEED OF HELP NATIONALLY!

Hello all,

My sorority (which I am an alumni of) has recently been removed from our University based on false hazing allegations. I am trying to help research any and all cases where an organization has regained status on a campus after something of this nature. Please please please share with me any instance that you know of. Anything will help our case. This organization has been at the school for 76 years now and it cannot just be gone. We need your help nationally as a greek community. Please post any situations that you know of! Thank you.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

If the allegations were false, why do you need anecdotes to help your case? If you can prove that the events didn't happen, shouldn't that be enough for the school to reverse its decision?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

It hasn't ever happened. The. end.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

What you are describing is an internal matter.

"False allegations" are easily disproved. Your sorority's headquarters/national office is the most appropriate party and is likely handling any and all matters related to this issue.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Because I'm in a mood right now, you are an alumnA of your sorority. The term "alumnI" refers to more than one male member who has graduated or a group of male and female (or all male) members who have graduated. One male member who has graduated is referred to as an "alumnUS." More than one female members who have graduated are referred to as "alumnAE."

It irks me to no end when I see college decals on cars that proclaim the occupant is a "University of Podunk Alumni." I guess this could be correct if the people who own/use the car are graduates of the University of Podunk. The only college decal that I've seen that is correct is for an all-girls college. It proclaimed the occupant of the car was a "Columbia College Alumna."

FWIW, I agree with the advice from everyone else.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

You should possibly involve an alumna who is an attorney. It should be up to your school to prove that there was hazing rather than for your organization to prove there wasn't. Familiarize yourself with your school's student code of conduct and their internal disciplinary procedures.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
It irks me to no end when I see college decals on cars that proclaim the occupant is a "University of Podunk Alumni." I guess this could be correct if the people who own/use the car are graduates of the University of Podunk. The only college decal that I've seen that is correct is for an all-girls college. It proclaimed the occupant of the car was a "Columbia College Alumna."
I share the irk -- I figure it's just cheaper and easier for the retailers than having different decals or license plate frames that say "University of Podunk Alumnus," "University of Podunk Alumna" or "University of Podunk Alumni" (for the alum couples). I have seen it done correctly for various all-female colleges and for one all-male college (one of the few remaining).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
What you are describing is an internal matter. . . . Your sorority's headquarters/national office is the most appropriate party and is likely handling any and all matters related to this issue.
This.

And CaldorII, are you an advisor or actively involved with the chapter in some capacity. If not, I wouldn't discount the possibility that there is more to the story than you may know.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And CaldorII, are you an advisor or actively involved with the chapter in some capacity. If not, I wouldn't discount the possibility that there is more to the story than you may know.
Right back at you times a hundred. Except I'd substitute "probability" for "possibility."

Been there, done that, got the tattoo. People who haven't been around, ever, come out of the woodwork, too much drama way too late.

PS - And I purposely overlooked the alumni gaffe b/c I knew someone else would say it nicer than I originally penned.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-13-2013, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I would dare say that if the University and the national organization have validated the charges and removed the chapter, you're not going to be able to do anything about it.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking back at the original question, chapters return to campus all the time. Look at the number of new chapters and what percentage of them is recolonizations. To think every one of those chapters was due to low numbers is kind of ridiculous. I would think that when headquarters pulls a charter due to risk management, they want to keep that as quiet as possible. You're not going to find any story where we pulled our ZZ chapter because they were doing x,y and z thing to their pledges. We closed for 3 years and were allowed to come back onto campus and now everything is hearts and flowers. And when a chapter closes, historically it seems they are closed for at least 4 years (a full turn over in student population) and then the school has to be open to expansion, which means these girls' stupid behavior could keep your sorority off that campus for 50 years. Literally. I hope they had a good time doing whatever they did. And as an advisor, when you get another chance to advise, hopefully you will be more in tune with what's happening within the chapter.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Looking back at the original question, chapters return to campus all the time. Look at the number of new chapters and what percentage of them is recolonizations. To think every one of those chapters was due to low numbers is kind of ridiculous. I would think that when headquarters pulls a charter due to risk management, they want to keep that as quiet as possible. You're not going to find any story where we pulled our ZZ chapter because they were doing x,y and z thing to their pledges. We closed for 3 years and were allowed to come back onto campus and now everything is hearts and flowers. And when a chapter closes, historically it seems they are closed for at least 4 years (a full turn over in student population) and then the school has to be open to expansion, which means these girls' stupid behavior could keep your sorority off that campus for 50 years. Literally. I hope they had a good time doing whatever they did. And as an advisor, when you get another chance to advise, hopefully you will be more in tune with what's happening within the chapter.
That's not what she's asking. She wants to know how many chapters have been able to get out of losing their suspensions by proving the allegations of hazing weren't true.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Once suspended by the national and the university? I would venture none.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaldorII View Post
I am trying to help research any and all cases where an organization has regained status on a campus after something of this nature.
And my answer is it happens a lot of times. If she means without a full closure of the chapter and time spent inactive, probably too seldom to worry about. If she meant within a particular time frame, she probably should have been more specific. I'm saying chapters close for RFM every semester. Whether the school allows them to come back within a reasonable period of dormancy would probably depend on how the closing chapter handles their exodus.

The other thing I'm saying is you're never going to get answers you'll be happy with if you don't know how to ask questions. Here's how I read her question: I'm an alumna of undisclosed age or leadership within a collegiate chapter somewhere in the sorority universe. They got in trouble for an undisclosed reason and have been given a barely disclosed punishment (closure - forever, for a year, for a semester?). So I'm asking for examples of exactly what I just described above that is going to serve as proof that our undisclosed punishment at undisclosed school for undisclosed period of time can be overturned. But hey, maybe I read it wrong.