Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 863
0 members and 863 guests
No Members online

Old 02-25-2009, 02:02 AM
dietpepsi

Mixer to fix our rep.

The sorority I just joined has a "boring" reputation....I'm planning on turning this image around. I have a lot of good ideas for parties I got from this thread. However, I'm not sure how to have mixers any more. My university has registered parties and only 5 fraternities and 5 sororities, so it's kind of impossible for me to think of a way to have a mixer where alcohol is involved.

I hate it, but let's face it, alcohol is the only incentive for the other Greeks to want to get to know us better. I would especially love to have a blacklight party w. and open bar....but I don't know how to do any of this.

(And don't get me wrong, I LOVE my sisters and my sorority! I just wish we did more social events.)

Last edited by dietpepsi; 02-25-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-25-2009, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisiglindsey
I would recommend following your university's guidelines and rules of mixers. Is there any way to have a mixer at a local bar? I mean only people over 21 would be able to drink, but it's better than nothing.

Is alcohol the ONLY way fraternities will mix with you? We've done dry mixers where we've played Capture the Flag or gone bowling with fraternities, and they still want to mix with us.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:24 AM
dietpepsi

I may be able to check into having it at a local club kinda place, I'm just unsure of the budget we have since I'm pretty new.

Also, at my school, there is literally nothing to do but drink. I cant say where it is because there are only 3 colleges in this small city. It snows A LOT so the outdoorsy things are really only good in the fall. But anyway, all people here really do is drink so if you're not into that it's hard. And our reputation is so "dorky" at this point, mainly because my sorority basically only goes to one fraternity house every single weekend, my sisters are like stuck to that house.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Partying is cool, but make sure that you're doing it within your national organization's guidelines and the guidelines of your university.

Getting put on social probation or some other disciplinary thing won't help your rep at all.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietpepsi View Post
I may be able to check into having it at a local club kinda place, I'm just unsure of the budget we have since I'm pretty new.

Also, at my school, there is literally nothing to do but drink. I cant say where it is because there are only 3 colleges in this small city. It snows A LOT so the outdoorsy things are really only good in the fall. But anyway, all people here really do is drink so if you're not into that it's hard. And our reputation is so "dorky" at this point, mainly because my sorority basically only goes to one fraternity house every single weekend, my sisters are like stuck to that house.
I'm thinking I know where you go to school, but of course I can't be sure. If you are where I think you are, I can guarantee there are other things to do at or around school than drink.

And even if I'm wrong about where you are, there has to be something else to do. Bowling has been suggested, and I know that my chapter has done that a few times in the past. It works well, because it gets everyone out and doing something other than playing beirut, those who are over 21 have the option to drink (although in my experience at these types of mixers, people usually don't), and with teams randomly being picked, you get to meet new people.

Or try to play any kind of sport. Hold a tournament of sorts.

And as funny as this might sound, we had a mixer with a fraternity years ago where we played the game Taboo. The guys thought it would be stupid at first, but we played for almost 3 hours and everyone had a lot of fun.

If you want to incorporate drinking into these, then go for it. But if a large number of sisters aren't comfortable with that, don't just give up and say, "Well, I guess we have to drink if we want to hang out with the cool kids." Because if your chapter members aren't the partiers to begin with, throwing them into a mixer where everyone's wasted and doing keg stands isn't going to work.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 02-25-2009 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 PM

mixer, shmixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietpepsi View Post
And our reputation is so "dorky" at this point, mainly because my sorority basically only goes to one fraternity house every single weekend, my sisters are like stuck to that house.
THIS is your problem. My sorority had the exact same issue when I pledged. A blacklight party is not going to fix that - this isn't a teen movie. And it has nothing to do with alcohol.

The only remedy is for sisters to start hanging out at the other fraternities and getting to know more people from all the Greek groups (fraternities and sororities). It'll take a while, but people will notice. Grab a few of your pledge sisters and go on your own if the older sisters don't want to.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

I think you've gotten some good advice. Exchanging a reputation for being boring for being lushes or sluts isn't such a great idea.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I think you've gotten some good advice. Exchanging a reputation for being boring for being lushes or sluts isn't such a great idea.
I don't think one party is going to classify them as "lushes or sluts" - that's pretty strong wording. Nor do I think that's what they want.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah - No NPC org is allowed to host or co-sponsor an open bar event so just pretend that you didn't event think of that idea. Even if you start having typical partying events then you will just be the "dorky" sorority that drinks not the cool one. Sorry to be harsh. I understand that you feel locked into events with alcohol but trust me when I say they won't help.

Why don't you talk to Panhellenic about encouraging dinner mixers. One of the schools I advise is starting Panhellenic pot lucks between two chapters after the chapter meeting.

They are also sponsoring all Greek Service Days where you are spit up and participate in service events with women and men from groups other than your own. You could even try a joint philanthropy with one of the other sororities or fraternities.

Also, take a look at the women that you are attracting. If you are under total COB is a great way to attract wonderful women that did not want to go through the formal process but are already leaders on campus. Attracting these type of women during COB can help your image.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Bowling's a fun one to do usually. I think one semester we did lasertag with one sorority.

The last two years or so we've done karaoke with one of the sororities, and we always have a blast. Though I think my favorite by far was the white trash wedding we did. It was ridiculously fun, cause everyone got dressed up for it and got into. We're talking about doing it making it an annual event.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I don't think one party is going to classify them as "lushes or sluts" - that's pretty strong wording. Nor do I think that's what they want.

i agree, that's a pretty extreme conclusion for someone wanting to throw a party