GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,246
4 members and 1,242 guests
3DGator, Cookiez17, naraht

Old 11-05-2007, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Sisterhood Ideas?

I was wondering if anyone has any good sisterhood activity ideas?

Lately, some of the girls in the our chapter have complained that Sigma isn't "fun" anymore, so if anyone has any fun sisterhoods you do at your chapter, please share them with me! Thanks!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I was sisterhood chair one semester, and here are some of the activities/events I organized for our chapter:

*Holiday gift exchange- Girls drew names (and didn't share with each other who it was) and each sister bought a gift ($10 max) for the person they got. They exchanged gifts at the last meeting of the semester.

*Halloween pals- Girls drew names for Halloween and made candy bags for the sister they got. We exchanged these at our Halloween costume chapter meeting so it was kind of like "trick or treating" for us since we wore costumes and got candy.

*Ice cream social- this one was easy, I just brought 3 flavors of ice cream, and I had every sister bring a topping to share. Girls came over and ate ice cream with different toppings and hung out.

*Scrapbooking night- Every sister made a page about themselves. I supplied the scrapbook and some scissors and told girls to bring lots of pictures and any scrapbooking materials they had to share. This went extremely well. This became a tradition at my chapter, and every new member adds a page to the book now!

*Thanksgiving potluck- I took care of the turkey and had girls each bring a side dish, dessert, or beverages to share. This is also now a tradition at my chapter.

Hope these helped you! If I think of more I'll post them!

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
I like the ideas that KSUViolet posted, we did many of those and they worked well.
Idk if you do a senior farewell (sendoff, etc) but to go off the scrapbooking idea, every sister made a page for each graduating sister, with pictures of them together, notes, memories, etc. It's one of my favorite things that I have and it was really fun to make all the other girls' pages. We often did special nights where everyone would get together, share supplies (a few of us were crazy scrapbookers lol) and talk, watch movies, chill out, order some pizza's whatever

In the fall we did things like apple or pumpkin picking.

If a big movie was coming out (like when the last harry potter came out) a whole bunch of us would go as a group (maybe group rates for this too??) and we'd go get dinner beforehand.

We tried to do a sisterhood dinner everyweek in the student union (and the girls that lived on campus would use their extra meals on the girls that lived off campus or in the house) and wear letters.

In addition to having mixers, we'd do a "thirsty thursday" where it was just us hanging out if we didn't have a mixer, another fave was "taco bell tuesday" or wendy's wednesdays.... i'm seeing a trend toward food....

We'd also do a game night, and do teams for cranium or charades, anything for a big group.

We also tried to do a date party midway through the semester.... We also made our formals pretty big affairs but we also went camping one year, and that was a lot of fun.

I'll try to think of some more

eta: sorry for crashing the sigma forum!!! i didn't realize it until after I posted and thought some of the ideas might still be helpful
Old 11-05-2007, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought of something else:

*Movie Nights: We had movie night at the house every few weeks. I would take suggestions for movies at chapter, and have the girls vote for one. Then we'd watch that movie with popcorn during the week.

*Sister of the Week: Every week at chapter, I took nominations from the girls for sister of the week. It's for a sister who went "above and beyond" during the week. For example: "I nominate Becky for bringing me chicken soup last week when I had the flu." The girls vote by a show of hands, and the sister who wins gets a small prize (I always gave them $10 Target gift cards or something like that).

Some advice for you:

*Sisterhood doesn't have to be elaborate or expensive. It could be something as simple as groups of girls having lunch in the student center every week. I had girls pick a time and day of the week that they could come to the Student Center, sit together and have lunch.

*Use incentives to get girls to show up your sisterhoods. We used to have a problem with girls not coming to sisterhoods. When I became sisterhood chair, I had an attendance sheet at all of the events. Certain weeks, I would pick a random sister from an attendance sheet and she would get a small prize like a StarBucks gift card or something like that.. Girls started showing up to sisterhoods because they had the chance to win stuff

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for all of the great ideas!
Old 11-06-2007, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

We did a lot of activities that KSUViolet posted as well. One of the best was always meeting on a Tuesday (or whatever day it was - I can't remember now, haha) in the student union for lunch.

We also had family nights which were really fun, and made Big Sis'/Little Sis' family trees (which eventually overlapped into other families), and watched movies.

Crafts were very big in my chapter and sometimes we'd have a craft night where one sister would show us how to make something (once it was fun Sigma bracelets with purple and white Sigma beads she'd made).

When Friends was still on we used to have 'Friends Nights' and all go over to a sister's house to hang out, have pizza or popcorn and watch. Such good memories. I think my favourite Friends night was when we got the whole chapter inside her house with the chapter consultant for a photo. We were packed in, but it was really fun.

Sigma Love,
Laura