Members: 326,169
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,094
0 members and 1,094 guests
No Members online

Old 05-28-2008, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Do you work in your degree related field??

Hey everyone, I was recently offered a good job that has absolutely nothing to do with my B.A. When I was in school, I always thought it was dumb to not be working in a related field after going to school all those years, and now I might be one of those people!
Just wondering, how many people are actually using their degree??

Last edited by DZviol; 05-28-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I can't exactly answer your question on a personal level because I'm still in school. However, when I was a freshman, I went to a workshop/talk about majors. I guess a lot of people end up in fields that don't have to do with their major. With some fields (especially science/medical), it's really important to have that major. On the other hand, with others, it may not matter as much. I know having a bachelors counts for a lot.

So, I hope that helps and I'm sorry for not providing a true insider's prospective.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I used my degrees (BS, MS) for 11 years before staying home to have kids 1.5 years ago. I do think I will return to the work field one day, and it will be in the same career.

FWIW, my degrees don't really transfer well to other areas. I do have some friends with the same degrees that are now working in pharm sales, and one friend who works in info technology in the medical arena. We always have the management option, but that is not for me.

I do have friends who are not working in their majors at all, and have been very happy and successful.

I can't cite this- sorry- but I remember reading years ago that the average American changes career paths (not jobs, but actual careers) 4 times in their lifetime. Seemed kind of high to me, but maybe there is something to people choosing to pursue that which they love.

ETA- Also, don't feel dumb for not using the degree that you spent that time obtaining. Part of earning a college diploma is supposed to indicate that you are capable of critical thinking, writing intellectually, demonstrating knowledge in many different areas, etc. Note I did say "supposed." Sadly not everyone who makes it through school is as good at this as others, and some with no degree are just as capable. You should still be proud of obtaining the diploma, and if the question ever comes up, you can focus on the general skills that college taught you. Also, as an adult, education is always a plus... since you have a BA... all those classes (whether it is Art History, Literature, Music or whatever) that you took will have knowledge that will come in handy in social situations. Literature was never my strength, and I love meeting people who are so well read and can actually explain all the subtle themes, implications, etc. Also, I love going to Art Museums with my Art History major friend.

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 05-28-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Currently Oxford, MS. After graduate school, its up in the air.
Send a message via AIM to CBU Jeff
My BA was in Elementary education. I graduated and substitute taught for a while before realizing it wasn't what I wanted to do. I am now getting my master's in Higher Education in order to work with students via leadership development.

But truthfully, regardless of your degree, if you like the job and then that's all that matters. Good Luck
Old 05-28-2008, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Nope. Degree is in Biology and Chemistry. I run a book publishing company that does not release scientific material.

I did work in a lab for a year but I hated it.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not really using my undergrad degree as of yet. At least not where I work. However, I am working in the field I want to make a career out of. Once I get my graduate degree, then I'll be using both degrees in my field of study.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 05-28-2008, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a triple major (Journalism, History and English) and a minor (Photography). I also have a double MA (British History and Communications) AND am certified to teach 7-12 grade.

What do I do? I'm the Senior News Editor (which is funny, because I am the only news editor) at a large, member-driven technical organization. I write news stories for our Web site, contribute (on average) 5-6 pages of text/pictures a month in our 160-page membership journal (with by-line!), take pictures of products we sell on the Web site, write and distribute a weekly e-mail newsletter that goes out to about 70,000 people, as well as write a script (edited from the newsletter) and voice a weekly news show that members can either download from our Web site, phone in to receive, or listen to it on certain kinds of radios - and more!

In other words, yes I use my degrees and I have a blast doing it. I can't believe I get paid to play with words all day long!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

My degree is in Occupational Therapy. I did work as an Occupational Therapist for 13 years and then took courses to get a Microsoft Certification. Now I'm a LAN System's Analyst.

I'm getting itchy though.. wanting to try something new again. I'm not sure what though. I've thought about owning my own business. Point is, I can see myself changing career paths 4 times in my lifetime. I did one for 13, have been doing this for 8, and I probably can't retire for 22 more years so that leaves quite a bit of time. I also think I'll have a 'retirement' career doing something that I really enjoy without the money really being the issue.. something like making items to sell in craft shows... something more hobby related.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Unregistered-

I have a BA in Political Science and History. After graduation I worked as a bartender and now find myself in the non-profit sector.

I absolutely love my job. Despite the long hours sometimes, there so much room for professional growth.

Chaminade University offers a Not-for-Profit MBA, and once things settle down over here...I hope to finally get started on that.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I purposefully got a degree in a Liberal Art (English) because I wasn't exactly sure what I want to do.

I was in education for four years, now I am a development officer for a small non-profit.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I purposefully got a degree in a Liberal Art (English) because I wasn't exactly sure what I want to do.

I was in education for four years, now I am a development officer for a small non-profit.
I miss the stories about your students...and their parents.

I love working in non-profit. I got a $1000 check today from a corporation and already I've managed to accidentally use it as a coaster for my coffee.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I got a $1000 check today from a corporation and already I've managed to accidentally use it as a coaster for my coffee.
I definitely did that with my rent check a few days ago!
Old 05-28-2008, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
I have a BS and MS in chemistry, and that's what I do all day. I have thought about going outside of my field, but I genuinely love what I do and I'm passionate about my specialty.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I do use my graduate degree. But at first it would not appear that I am using my undergraduate degree at all- which was microbiology. I do take care of the science collection at work, as well as answer the science questions. So I am using it indirectly in a way.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes.

I majored in art in undergrad. I got my degree, then I furthered my education by studying Industrial Design, and now I'm a Transportation Designer.

I eat, sleep, and drink cars.