GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,247
0 members and 1,247 guests
No Members online

Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Question What would you have chosen as a different path for your life?

So I'm at work, bored out of my mind, and just thinking about what I would have done if I would have a "do-over". Go to a different college? Have a different major? Try to get different jobs in a different city?

I always thought about going to med school before college, and while my grades were good enough, I'll admit that I'm too damn lazy. I like DC enough, but my job (ahem, excuse me, my career path) is KILLIN' ME. Money is decent but things sure are boring and I don't feel like what I do makes much of a difference. But, it's not like my liberal arts degree and MA are worth much anymore (at least here), and I obviously can't get into a specialized field unless I simply quit, re-enroll in college, and spend money that I don't have.

I think I would have made a great archaeologist. No joke. Or a vet. I could see myself getting into those fields if I had a do-over.

What about yourselves? What do you WANT to be doing? You may be doing one job now, but looking back with 20/20 hindsight, what would you have done?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Not that I don't love my live, because really I do....

But I think I perhaps could have ended up an actor.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I just want to get an actual job in what I studied to do. That'd be freaking sweet.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Not that I don't love my live, because really I do....

But I think I perhaps could have ended up an actor.
you've got the celebrity for it. and there's still time.

i wouldve attempted to lose weight - i mean, make lifestyle changes - a long time ago, so i could be all svelte and what not.

I don't know if id want to be an actor, but being a child prodigy wouldve been awesome. this all feeds into my ultimate goal in being an expert in something.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
I wish I had stuck to my guns and dropped that first semester due to medical issues. My life would have been so different, I think.

I also wish I had tried to persue what's-his-name a lot sooner (shut up, Sen!).
Old 01-25-2010, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I dunno, I can't think of anything. I'm very happy with my life, as of now, I guess. If anything, maybe a career change in planetary physics--but for the most part, I am very happy with my choices in life.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 01-25-2010, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

cheerfulgreek, I'm super jealous. I wish I had actually worked hard (instead of slacking off a bit) and done what I know NOW I could have done, but I guess that's where I am right now and why I'm doing what I'm doing. I know I'm lucky to have a well-paying job and a house and husband I love, but it sure would be nice if I didn't wake up every morning and as soon as I think about going to work, I think... UURRRRGGGGHHHHH...... dammit.......

:-)
Old 01-25-2010, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

If I had really stuck with it, I would have been commissioned in the Army right now.

Kind of funny how a little bit of messed up paperwork on their part that could have easily been fixed has changed where I am right now.

But like CG said, I am pretty happy where I am in life.

Things happen for a reason and very rarely do I dwell on things such as that.

"...I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque"
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I dunno, I can't think of anything. I'm very happy with my life, as of now, I guess. If anything, maybe a career change in planetary physics--but for the most part, I am very happy with my choices in life.
i knew this would be your answer. but im really happy for you, being content with your life and all.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
i knew this would be your answer. but im really happy for you, being content with your life and all.
lol
Thanks.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 01-25-2010, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

If I had a complete fo over I would not have two degrees in management or nursing and would go the history/archaeology route, in particularly biblical archaeology. I would like the teach at the university level.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki1920 View Post
I also wish I had tried to persue what's-his-name a lot sooner
Ditto. We could've been married by now (not that I want to be married at this age, but I'm sayin'! ).

I wanted to be a singer when I was little, but I painfully shy about it. I wish I had taken voice lessons to boost my confidence. I would've loved to be on broadway or something (I also had secret actress ambitions). I still plan to take voice lessons one day, for fun, but it would've been neat to pursue that life.

Honestly, I wish I had tried a lot of things that I didn't pursue because I thought I wouldn't be good at them. I play 3 instruments and played 3 sports. I could've excelled at any of them, but gave up because I was afraid I wouldn't be good enough to really go anywhere with them. I wish I'd tried harder instead of just going with what naturally came easy. I love the path I'm on, but it stinks that there were so many other options that I just walked past. Even if I ended up exactly where I am, at least I would have the satisfaction of knowing I tried my best.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 01-25-2010, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Not a thing.

In undergrad, I probably would have had something to say on this topic because I was letting the opinions of others influence my choice of career more than I realized (so smart, right?)

I'm finally pursuing my own career and scholastic interests (instead of caring what others think), and I have never been happier. So happy in fact that I plan on continuing to the Doctorate level.

I'm so blessed to be in the position that I'm in right now.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-25-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
I actually wish I was where christiangirl and KSUViolelt are right now.
I would have had the Master's, been halfway through my PHd, and living in NC.

I am happy with the scenic route I'm currently on though. . and I would not have my own, on-call Computer Tech WonderMan, DS!! lol *smoooches* lol
Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm very happy with the educational opportunities I took - I'm looking at this as a frustrated job seeker - because I want to break in, I'm trying to break in, but I'm working the day job right now instead of the dream job. I like my job a lot - but I have to work very hard at making sure it's a "right now" thing instead of a future career path thing.

Although I'd be happy if I worked in a different department at my current company... one that was more in line with my passions instead of just my talents.