GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,140
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, LatexXUK
» Online Users: 1,045
3 members and 1,042 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 12-13-2000, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Help Volunteering Info

Being a GDI, I recognize that the majority of most Greek organizations are steeped in community service. I thought that this public forum would be an excellent tool to find out for myself and others who might be interested, address and contact information for homeless shelters to volunteer not only on Christmas Day but throughout the year. I am particularly interested in the Metro Washington, DC area; however, others may be interested across the US.

I apologize in advance if this is a thread that's been posted before!
Old 12-13-2000, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Maybe you could try contacting the Salvation Army or Covenant House; these 2 come to my mind as agencies who have "shelters" or missions.

Also, if you look in the Yellow Pages for your city under "Social Service Organizations" or "Charitable Organizations", this will tell you of other agencies operating in your area. If you call them, they could tell you more about themselves (and I am sure they would be happy to hear from you!)

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2000, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Thumbs up

Jazbri- Good to hear that you want to get involved! I am also in the metro DC area. I am a member of an organization called DC Cares. The web site is http://www.dc-cares.org . It is an umbrella organization that finds volunteers for organizations/shelters/programs in the DC metro area. You have to attend a short orientation (1 hour, I think. It's been a while!) and then you can go to any of the events in the DC/MD/VA area. They will send you out a newsletter so you can see what events are going on during the month. There are LOTS of events. You can also search for volunteer opportunities on the website. You can pick a particular issue that you have strong feelings about. You don't have to commit to anything more than you want to do. It is a great way to get involved in volunteering not only during the holidays but during the rest of the year too. And you can be flexible about when you want to do things. Check it out!

ZetaAce

------------------
FinerWomanhood: Learn it, Live it, Love it!
Old 12-13-2000, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks ZetaAce! I'll take a look-see!