GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,263
1 members and 1,262 guests
willTic

Old 07-03-2004, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Did anyone here attend a "British style" private school?

Many private, university preparatory schools in Canada (and I assume in the US) are modelled after "public" schools in the UK. The principal is usually referred to as the headmaster/mistress or the newer, gender-neutral term "head of school". There is also House System (like GLOs, I guess. However, students are assigned Houses, with legacies automatically placed in the one their parent(s) and/or sibling(s) are connected with. At my school, all new students are "initiated" at the first meeting. Different Houses compete during the year for "points" through sports, community service and academics) and finally, some student leaders (in their final or final two years of school) are called Prefects. Did anyone go to a school like this? If so, did you wear a uniform or have a dress code?

Last edited by Taualumna; 07-03-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I did. My favorite class was Potions, and I was captain of the Quidditch team.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I attended a private school from seventh grade to graduation. We had a headmaster and a dress code. Technically, it is an independent, not-for-profit, college preparatory day school. We had sports and extracurricular activities including student government. The school is divided into the Lower School from pre-K to sixth grade and the Upper School from seventh to twelfth grades. Each has its own Principal. We didn't have houses or prefects. What you described sounds more like a boarding school to me. Or Harry Potter's Hogwarts.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
I attended a private school from seventh grade to graduation. We had a headmaster and a dress code. Technically, it is an independent, not-for-profit, college preparatory day school. We had sports and extracurricular activities including student government. The school is divided into the Lower School from pre-K to sixth grade and the Upper School from seventh to twelfth grades. Each has its own Principal. We didn't have houses or prefects. What you described sounds more like a boarding school to me. Or Harry Potter's Hogwarts.
LOL on the Hogwarts comment (both of you!! ) My school has two House systems, Boarding Houses (two) and Day Houses (twelve, but eight when I was there). Boarders are members of two houses. Junior school (kindergarten-Grade 6, all day, of course) students have their own system, called "colour bands". Not sure how many exist, since I went to another school for the elementary grades.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

My boyfriend is English and he went to what Americans would call "private school". Though, the confusion is that those schools are called "public" in the UK. Anyway, he grew up in Bristol, England and went to Bristol Grammar School.

My University is literally next door to the school and I saw the kids all the time. They do indeed have to wear uniforms. Though, I don't think they're divided up into "houses". They have a lower school (primary grades), an upper school (middle and lower-high school) and sixth form (upper-high school). I'd have to ask Neil if he specifically had a "house" within BGS. Neil didn't actually live there - I don't think BGS has a boarding option.

Check out their website!

http://www.bristolgrammarschool.co.uk/

I *love* the opening paragraph!!

"Inspirational teaching by high-calibre staff, a principle on which BGS was founded in 1532, remains at the heart of our success today and affirms our reputation as one of the UK's great city schools. Providing for children of above-average ability, we combine the best of our heritage with modern teaching, excellent facilities and far-ranging opportunities. Let some senior teachers introduce you to the main areas of our remarkable School."

I actually lived a few blocks away from the very, very prestigious Clifton College. (The word college does not mean "university" in England). I remember I went for a walk one day to take a tour of my new neighbourhood. I turned the corner and saw this:

http://www.cliftoncollegeuk.com/

It's soooo impressive! It looks like something out of Harry Potter! Neil and I took a walk around one afternoon during a holiday week and we invited ourselves inside their chapel - beautiful!

Also, click on "Virtual Tour" and then on "Upper School" - check out that courtyard! How would you like to go to high school there?? Clifton College does have boarding houses and day houses.

Oh yes, one last thing, it's silly I know, but I thought it was really cool that my university (University of Bristol) has a traditional crest/shield.

Also cool is that Bristol was the first university in England to admit women on equal footing with men. If ever a sorority wanted to found in the UK, I recommend this one.

Sorry, I guess that, as an American, I find these things novel and fascinating.

.....Kelly
Old 07-04-2004, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I had a double helping of the school experience. I attended and graduated from a US preparatory school, our headmaster was known as the Rector, and due to my Dad's last active duty assignment overseas I attended public school in England for a year where I was a "wet Bob", never did really understand how the "wall game" was played by the "dry Bobs, and had a truly great time. I drilled with the CCF and wore my US JROTC cadet uniform much to the amused interest of the other boys. Day to day I wore the standard school kit.
Was any other GCer at "Slough Comprehensive"? What was your house? Who were the Beaks you remember best? Were you a KS or an Oppidan?
Translation will be provided later if no one replies to my question.
Please reply even if you were at that place "on the Hill" and wore "strats" instead of proper hats.
Floriat ... !
Old 07-04-2004, 06:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I never went to 'the school on the hill' myself; nor 'the other place'.

Did have a house system in my school; chaplains, headteachers etc. Though, it wasn't public (private); always on the wrong side of the tracks.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navane

I actually lived a few blocks away from the very, very prestigious Clifton College. (The word college does not mean "university" in England). I remember I went for a walk one day to take a tour of my new neighbourhood. I turned the corner and saw this:

[

:
.....Kelly
Ditto in Canada. While "college" usually refers to community colleges, it is also used in many private schools. I assume Clifton has "sixth form"? With the exception of Havergal College in Toronto, schools in the area with the name "college" in them are either all boys or co-ed (with most co-ed schools formerly boys only, though Trafalgar Castle School used to be known as the Ontario Ladies' College)

Last edited by Taualumna; 07-04-2004 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a public school product, but my younger sister went to a private school that fairly closely resembled the sort of school described by Taualumna.

They have a Headmaster and his residence is called "Eastover House". The students who board are in one of three houses, "Morewood", "Croft" or "Ellsworth". Instead of grades (ie 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th), they have "forms" (Third Form, Fourth Form, Fifth Form, Sixth Form. I believe there is a dress code, but no uniforms, at least in the Senior School.

It's not a place I would have wanted to attend; not that I could have gotten in there
Old 07-05-2004, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
I never did, but there was this cute little nunnery near Chattanooga that mom used to threaten to send me to. I'm sure it was nice.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Sort of... I caught the tail end of the tradition before the school switched to a "normal" semi-private Catholic school... it was kinda weird in some ways... The "old-school" teachers kept the title professor, and refered to students as "Master ....." But by grade 11 it was pretty much gone...

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 07-05-2004, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Did anyone here attend a "British style" private school?

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
Many private, university preparatory schools in Canada (and I assume in the US) are modelled after "public" schools in the UK. The principal is usually referred to as the headmaster/mistress or the newer, gender-neutral term "head of school". There is also House System (like GLOs, I guess. However, students are assigned Houses, with legacies automatically placed in the one their parent(s) and/or sibling(s) are connected with. At my school, all new students are "initiated" at the first meeting. Different Houses compete during the year for "points" through sports, community service and academics) and finally, some student leaders (in their final or final two years of school) are called Prefects. Did anyone go to a school like this? If so, did you wear a uniform or have a dress code?
This sounds exactly like my school. I went to private school from grade 1-12. I was a house and was house captain in the junior school and an activities captain in the senior school. We wore uniforms and had assemblies 3 times a week. We had a headmistress, head girl and prefects. And yes, I wore a uniform. And when we entered the senior school, we were initiated into our houses.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
I attended an American style private prep school in Manhattan for the 11th and 12 grades. Based on that experience, I strongly believe that public schools are leave much to be desired.

Private schools are where its at.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Sould I decide to have kids and be fortunate enough to afford it, I will send my kids to a private school.

While I did go to public schools, and I went to some of the top public schools (elementary and high school) in the city, I still feel the private schools offer a better education.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:50 PM
cutiepatootie

When i was a kid my dad use to threaten to send me to an all girls catholic boarding school.

but when i was a kid i always wanted to go to boarding school after watching "facts of life" LOL

I however, went to private school K-9 and public school rest of HS. When my son gets to jr high if i have to take 3 jobs he is going there because the public school system as it is sucks big time!

a friend of mine went to a british style board school in Canada. She has since sent her daughters there too. Cannot be that bad if you in turn send your kids there from your own exp.

Last edited by cutiepatootie; 07-05-2004 at 02:53 PM.