» Online Users: 938
0 members and 938 guests
No Members online

Old 04-11-2003, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
Unhappy and so it begins

NBC to Make TV Movie About POW Jessica Lynch
Thu Apr 10, 7:50 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters TV to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The story of Jessica Lynch -- the U.S. soldier taken prisoner in Iraq (news - web sites) and miraculously rescued -- is to be made into a television movie, with or without her family selling her story.

NBC television said on Thursday it was starting work on a script about the 19-year-old POW, who has become the most human American face of both the heroism and horror of the Iraq war.

"Like the rest of America, we shared in the collective thrill of witnessing the heroic and dramatic rescue of Private First Class Jessica Lynch. Her inspiring story is one that provides a message of hope despite great odds," the network said in a statement.

Lynch is recovering from multiple wounds in a U.S. military hospital in Germany following her rescue last week in a night-time raid from a hospital in the southern Iraqi town of Nassiriya. She had spent nine days listed as missing after Iraqi forces ambushed her convoy when it took a wrong turn.

Few details have emerged of Lynch's ordeal as a POW and her family have told competing media outlets they are not ready to discuss selling the rights to her story.

NBC said however that it was going ahead with a TV movie that would likely be broadcast toward the end of this year.

"We are trying for the rights, but we are going ahead with a script based on the facts and on news reports," an NBC source said.

Lynch, an aspiring teacher who joined the army to get an education, comes from a community that has an unemployment rate of 15 percent -- one of the highest in West Virginia.

NBC is owned by General Electric Co.

This really upsets me. First of all, NBC is going to make the movie with or without her permission. Second, it's been just over a week since she was rescued and they are already writing the script? Come on folks, have a little decency.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:48 AM

Re: and so it begins

Quote:
Originally posted by OUlioness01
This really upsets me. First of all, NBC is going to make the movie with or without her permission. Second, it's been just over a week since she was rescued and they are already writing the script? Come on folks, have a little decency.
I'm surprised it took this long...
Old 04-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

It's actually a good story. Has "Made for TV movie" written all over it. Some people have decency, others will get the rights to the story

She might not have to worry about college money at all now.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-11-2003, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
well, at least they had the decency to put her up in a hospital
what do they think she did every day. . .spit in their faces when they asked her questions. . .etc.
nah, she probably cried which is what i would have done
cried every single day

that would be a great movie
Old 04-11-2003, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake

She might not have to worry about college money at all now.
She won't have to worry anyway, she's is going to be awarded a scholarship, not sure from what university though.

This troubles me, because they are calling her a hero, but why? Why is she a hero? Yes, she was a pow and she survived but she survived because those soldiers that were keeping her allowed her to stay alive, what about the other soldiers that they found in that hospital? I am very grateful, don't get me wrong and I think it's a great thing that she survived and will soon be home. But to me, the real heros are those that raided the hospital to recover her. More importantly, the TRUE hero, IMO is the lawyer that walked many miles through the desert to reach Marines and tell them about "the american soldier" in a hospital. After which he was asked to go back to gather as much detail for an operation while risking his life and the life of his family. He is the hero to me, what that man did was a great thing.

Last edited by damasa; 04-11-2003 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
If it was a male that was rescued, I think it would have taken alot longer to make it into a tv movie if at all. I guess its more interesting because it's a female POW.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm with Damasa on this.....why are they making a TV movie about her again? ...because she was a P.O.W.?
Ok

I agree a movie about the Iraqi laywer would be a good choice. i can only imagine the emotional/ethical/physical conflicts that man must have went through.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I too have to go with the lawyer or the soldiers that rescued her.
HOWEVER, it's the torture aspect that makes her a "hero". I've not delved into the intricate details of her plight, but something tells me her story is chilling beyond MY imagination. In a way, her ordeal may be the most accurate gage of EVERYTHING individuals
under Saddam endured all rolled up into one!

Remember, it didn't take too long for ALL the Networks to jump on
Joey Buttafuoco and Amy Fisher!

BTW, did they ever make a movie about Lorena Bobbit???
In an effort to decrease the amount of publicity that he was getting l understand John Bobbit changed his name to
Les Johnson.
What's in a name??? BOB IT!

But yes, the lawyer risked EVERYTHING out of humanity!
Old 04-11-2003, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I doubt that you can tell the story without heavy inclusion of the lawyer, the Marines he told and the Special Forces who carried out the raid and rescue.

On the scholarship question, it was originally reported that Marshall University had offered it, and I later heard that the governor said it would be good at any state supported college in West Virginia.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

On another board I frequent (www.edodo.org - the underground Air Force Academy cadet, alumni and friends discussion board) , there was a heated discussion on what medals PFC Lynch would probably earn for her ordeal as a POW.

On women as POWs: http://www.edodo.org/rumormill/viewtopic.php?t=1322

So... at the very least, she'll get a Purple Heart and a Prisoner of War medal.

No way in hell is she getting a Medal of Honor; the requirements to earn it are extremely strict. Politics won't influence those requirements.

Distinguished Service Cross - very remote chance unless there's some substantial corroborating proof of her actions.

Silver Star - maybe, if she doesn't meet the DSC requirements.

Bronze Star Medal with V device - possibly, if she doesn't get a Silver Star.

Along with probably a 'Green Hornet' (Army Commendation Medal) or a 'Junior Green Hornet' (Army Achievement Medal).

And for all current and former Infantry grunts - don't worry, she ain't getting a CIB (Combat Infantry Badge), since she wasn't in an infantry unit for at least 30 days (women aren't allowed in the Infantry).

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 04-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
BTW, did they ever make a movie about Lorena Bobbit???
In an effort to decrease the amount of publicity that he was getting l understand John Bobbit changed his name to
Les Johnson.
What's in a name??? BOB IT!

But yes, the lawyer risked EVERYTHING out of humanity!
I've seen a John Bobbit flix, but let say they won't show the movie on tv anytime soon.

Another good movie is about those medical people in the middle of baghdad that had to endure so much. I think they're the heros that would not be appreciated. I hope they do get a medal from the incomming government of Iraq. The doctor, nurses, paramedics, and ambulance drivers who risk their life to save others.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU
So... at the very least, she'll get a Purple Heart and a Prisoner of War medal.

No way in hell is she getting a Medal of Honor; the requirements to earn it are extremely strict. Politics won't influence those requirements.
Found myself wondering about this the other day.

Suspect you're right, but nothing that happens in politics will surprize me these days.

And, in case nobody has noticed, there's a fair amount of politics surrounding this war.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.