GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,007
0 members and 1,007 guests
No Members online

Old 01-17-2003, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face Maybe this is why students aren't learning....

...they are too busy plotting to kill their classmates.

Fifth-graders accused of trying to poison classmate
Group apparently put pills, glue, lead and chalk in her drinks

01/17/2003

Associated Press

DENVER -- Police said a group of fifth-graders tried to poison a schoolmate by putting pills, glue, lead and chalk in her drinks.

Officers planned to ask prosecutors to file reckless endangerment charges against two 10-year-olds they said led the plot at Harrington Elementary in northeastern Denver.

Police learned of the case Tuesday after the 11-year-old complained to teachers that she had found the items in her water bottle and soda over three days. Five girls and two boys, all in fifth grade, were suspended for five days, and some face possible suspension.

Investigators declined to elaborate on why the group allegedly targeted the 11-year-old.

"They said that they didn't like her and that they wanted to hurt her," school principal Sally Edwards said Thursday.

Police haven't identified any of the children.

Investigators were awaiting test results to determine what kind of pills were involved.

Police said they planned to turn the case over to the district attorney's office even if tests show the pills were harmless. The misdemeanor charge of reckless endangerment centers on the intent to do harm, Lt. Gary Lauricella said.

"We certainly feel they knew right from wrong because they conspired as a group. Some had reservations and didn't participate. Others participated knowing what the consequences could be," Lauricella said.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Last edited by AKA2D '91; 01-17-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
I'm going to have to wait and hear more on this one.

THis sounds like it COULD have been a mean but innocent prank that went wrong. I mean when you're young it's hard to understand the consequences of these kinds of actions. I would love to hear what kinds of pills they were, because I can see putting glue or pencils in someone's drink as just a stupid joke. I mean if you put chalk in someone's drink you would expect them to taste the difference and not drink it, right?
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by lovelyivy84; 01-17-2003 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

No offense, Lovely, but prank my AZZ!!

Kids today don't get enough credit from us. As much as we would like to believe that children are innocet and don't know much about consequences, they know what they are doing. How dare they try to kill another child simply because they don't like her? What ever happened to the days of just not speaking to him/her?

Forget reckless endanderment, it should be attempted muder! What if that stuff had really done some harm?
Old 01-18-2003, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedefinedDiva
No offense, Lovely, but prank my AZZ!!

Kids today don't get enough credit from us. As much as we would like to believe that children are innocet and don't know much about consequences, they know what they are doing. How dare they try to kill another child simply because they don't like her? What ever happened to the days of just not speaking to him/her?

Forget reckless endanderment, it should be attempted muder! What if that stuff had really done some harm?
Ditto.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Right. We were all in fifth grade at one time and I don't recall me or anyone I knew for that matter trying to "trick" any classmates into ingesting this type of stuff. Sure, there have always been people that I wasn't too fond of, but to put glue and pencil in their drinks, c'mon.

The pills. Okay. If they were tylenol, that's one thind. Still not okay but if they were...phenobarbitol or vicodin or something...innocent? I think not!

I would beat the shit outta my son if he did something like that...take my vicodin shoo (just playing) but you know what I mean. The parents are who need to be held accountable. That's just crazy.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm with RefinedDiva and AKAtude. I've both witnessed and been a victim of this type of stuff while growing up.

Adults need to realize that some children are straight psycho...or just plain evil.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 01-25-2003, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Exquisite5
Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus

Adults need to realize that some children are straight psycho...or just plain evil.

Ditto.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Maybe this is why students aren't learning....

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
...they are too busy plotting to kill their classmates.
Or too busy trying to kill their teachers!!!

Counselor beaten, set on fire; teen girls arrested

By RICHARD LIEBSON, SHAWN COHEN AND KRISTOFFER A. GARIN
THE JOURNAL NEWS

MOUNT PLEASANT — A counselor at a Mount Pleasant center for troubled teens was in serious condition at the Westchester Medical Center yesterday after surviving a savage attack by eight girls who police said beat her, set her afire and poured chlorine bleach on her face.

"I'm shocked by the viciousness of this,'' Mount Pleasant Police Chief Louis Alagno said of the assault at the Pleasantville Cottage School. "It's hard to believe that we're dealing with children here.''

Six of the eight girls — two 16-year-olds and four 15-year-olds — were arraigned last night on charges of attempted second-degree murder. The older ones, Takiyah Miller and Lidia Orellana, were sent without bail to the Westchester County Jail in Valhalla. The others, Latoya Barcliff, Mary Brown, Angenika Carter and Nicole Infante, were to be sent to the Woodfield Cottage juvenile detention center.

The girls giggled as they were led to the Mount Pleasant courtroom about 10:40 p.m., wearing orange jumpsuits and some in bright green handcuffs the color of children's jewelry. Once inside the courtroom their mood changed however, with several breaking into tears repeatedly.

"Look at me!" Town Justice Robert Ponzini shouted at Brown at one point, and he repeatedly admonished the others to listen to him during their brief appearances. All were denied bail, but he issued orders of protection to each on behalf of the victim if, he said, "God forbid, you make bail" in the future.

Alagno said the attack began shortly after 11 p.m. Thursday and continued for more than an hour inside Cottage 12, a girls residence at the 1075 Broadway complex run by the Jewish Child Care Association.

During her ordeal, the 32-year-old counselor was punched, kicked, stomped and scratched by the girls before "they doused her with rubbing alcohol and set it on fire,'' Alagno said. "They continued to beat her and then doused her face with chlorine bleach.''

They also cut her hair with scissors, beat her with a telephone and kicked her down two flights of steps, according to the charges read in court last night.

Alagno said the victim — the lone adult at the cottage where 16 girls live — was unable to escape or call for help. She had just begun the 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. shift, taking over for two counselors who work during the day.

"She was just overwhelmed by the number of attackers,'' Alagno said, adding that police were trying to learn a motive for the assault.

It was unclear what the eight other residents were doing during the assault, though cottage officials said some of them apparently stood by and did nothing.

"I don't think they did a great deal, frankly, one way or the other," said Michael Spindler, JCCA vice president of residential programs, who lives on campus. "They may have been frightened, but they did not get involved."

The attack ended sometime after midnight, when the girls saw some adults walking toward the cottage and fled, police said. At that point, the counselor managed to run to another cottage for help. She was in severe pain but lucid when a cottage employee drove her to the hospital.

An evening supervisor at the cottage notified Spindler about the incident about 12:40 a.m.

Police said they weren't called until 1:15 a.m., when school employees reported that a number of students were trying to leave the campus. When police arrived, they learned of the assault and took custody of five girls whom school officials had found hiding in other cottages. A sixth was picked up near her Queens home yesterday morning. Two others remained at large.

When the victim spoke with colleagues from her hospital room yesterday, she expressed relief that the girls had been arrested and said she was in pain but resting, cottage officials said. Police and officials said she kept her eyes and mouth closed during the assault and was able to avoid ingesting chemicals or damaging her eyesight.

Richard Altman, chief executive officer of the JCCA, called the attack "a gross violation of the community norm at Pleasantville Cottage School. It is so far out of bounds that we believe the girls involved in the assault have to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.''

The victim, who has been on staff since 1996, has worked in Cottage 12 for a few years. Spindler said she has been a good employee and, as far as he knew, had a warm relationship with the girls.

While not offering any excuses for their actions, Denis Gufarotti, resident director, noted that the girls were assigned to the cottage because they have emotional problems.

"These are kids who have tragic backgrounds, kids who have been abused and whose families have struggled themselves," he said.

The center provides special assistance, including counseling, to 195 children, a third of them girls. While the residents have behavioral problems, they haven't been in trouble with the law before. Most are referred to the cottage school by social agencies. The center does not take children through the courts.

Crisis counselors were assigned to speak with campus residents yesterday.

School officials said they were reviewing campus security procedures. Residential cottages are staffed by one counselor overnight and two during the day. Counselors are not equipped with panic alarms to alert campus security or police in an emergency, though telephones and fire alarms are installed at each cottage. Students live on campus, but are not locked inside.

"Spontaneously, we're not going to go in and change anything," Spindler said. "If changes are needed, they will be made."

In 1994, a 13-year-old boy from Peekskill who lived at the Pleasantville Cottage School was charged with killing a 12-year-old resident. Brian Edwards is believed to be the youngest person ever charged with murder in Westchester County.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

WTF
WTF
WTF
WTF

such a dayum shame.

Old 02-18-2003, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Someone should set their tales ABLAZE! AND SEE HOW THEY FEEL! I am sorry but I have NO mercy on people who do such evil things. There was no excuse for what the 5th graders or what those 15-year old heffas did!
Old 02-18-2003, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Something similar happened in Philly not too long ago. A 7th grader tried to poison his teacher buy pouring dry-erase board cleaner into her drink. She lived, but the boy is getting charged for attempted murder.

So sad....
Old 02-18-2003, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mz Destiny
Something similar happened in Philly not too long ago. A 7th grader tried to poison his teacher buy pouring dry-erase board cleaner into her drink. She lived, but the boy is getting charged for attempted murder.

So sad....
DAYUM!!! This is exactly why if I have a drink in class, I take it with me or throw it away if I leave it in a class with kids.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Why?Why?Why?

I know one day 'the meek shall inherit the earth' but is/was it supposed to happen like this????

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 02-18-2003 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

questionable/evil kids

Yup, I'm in Milwaukee,Wisconsin and just a few months ago a group of "kids" used base ball bats, crates and anything else they could get their little hands on to beat a grown man to death out in the streets From my understanding, this happened late at night or in the wee hours of the morning (hummmmmmmmm.... why weren't the parents concerned that their kids were out that late, but that's another topic). Apparently the kids were making fun of the man, he hit one of the kids, and then all hell broke loose. It was a mob of children (with a smattering of 18,19, and one 30 year old in the mix) who chased him in the streets, in and out the abandoned houses he tried to hide in and beat him to death. The youngest was 10 years old, but he was found not competant enough to stand trial. Sad and very wierd.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CountryGurl Send a message via Yahoo to CountryGurl
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Mz Destiny

So sad....

As an Education major(future teacher) this is the type of behavior that has me so afraid to enter the classroom. I've always wanted to become a teacher so I could have a strong positive influence on a young persons life not to have my own life endangered. When I was in middle school(junior high) hurting a teacher or an adult never crossed my mind. All I can do is continue to pray for our young people and God willing they will someday see the light.

Nu Gamma Omega Chapter