GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,297
2 members and 1,295 guests
No Members online

Old 05-29-2006, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Recommendations?

Hey everyone, I'm going to be a freshman this fall at the Unversity of South Carolina, and I plan on rushing. I really don't know all that much about it, so this forum is very helpful. My step mom is a triple legacy Zeta Tau Alpha and she said that I should send any recomendations I have to all of the sororities, even if I don't know for sure which one I want to join. Others have told me to only send recomendations to the one you for sure want to join, or else you'll look bad. I know times have changed, but I'm not sure what to do...? She also said I should I should include a resume with my picture. Is this still appropriate?

Thank you so much!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like you are interested in NPC sorority recruitment. In this case recommendations depend on the school you are at and the sorority.
Usually for KD recommendations are written by sorority Alumnae for the PNM and then sent to the chapter. Recommendations from a non sister usually are not usually sent to the chapter, unless it is for something amazing.
however if your step mother is a ZTA, she can certainly write you a letter of recommendation to ZTA.
Question to the ZTA Ladies would she be considered a legacy to ZTA?
Old 05-29-2006, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

USC rush is very competitive, and I know girls who have been burned by not having recs during that recruitment. You should try your best to get recs for every house (ask family friends and teachers to find people from the other houses) so that you have the opportunity to look at each one without worrying about not having a rec.

You mentioned that you don't know which houses you want to rush yet... and that's a good thing, because you probably don't know many of the chapter members yet! Don't try to decide which chapters you are considering in order to find recs for those chapters... get recs for every chapter so you can make the best decision once you're at USC and you've had a chance to meet every house. The sororities you have recs for will not have any way of knowing which other houses also have recs for you, so it can only be positive to have as many recs as possible.

EDIT: And you should send a resume and photo to the people who are writing your recs, yes. They will use this info to fill out a recommendation for you and they will take care of sending the rec to the chapter for you (you should not have any personal contact with any of the chapters).

Last edited by dgdramadawg; 05-29-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Your stepmom is giving you good advice. Also, keep an open mind and don't listen to "tent talk." The sorority you join will be the best one. They all have honorable histories and spectacular members, both nationally and locally. I ditto dgdramadawg's comments.

I'm not sure what those who said you would look bad having recs at all the sororities meant. Each sorority only knows the info sent to that particular sorority and should not be shared among the rest.

A picture is a good way for the members to put a face to a name. Hundreds of young ladies are going through recruitment, and the members try to remember them all!

I usually help with recruitment at USC and will this year as well. It's my favorite time of year! Good luck to you.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

a step daughter is not considered a zta legacy, but that in no way would keep this young lady from receiving a bid, should the zetas impress her, and she attends one of their pref parties.

be sure to get recommendations to ALL the houses-one you might not feel close to in the beginning rounds, might become your hearts desire towards the end. you want to maximize your chances. a recommendation is always looked upon favorably, and gives extra information on the pnm that a panhellenic recruitment enrollment form does not provide.

u of south carolina has an amazing panhellenic system, so be sure and give all the sororities a chance, and find the one you feel most at home with. good luck!!
Old 05-29-2006, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MSKKG
Your stepmom is giving you good advice. Also, keep an open mind and don't listen to "tent talk." . . . Good luck to you.
Some people may not know what "tent talk" is, so here's a thread that gives examples:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...k&pagenumber=1
Old 05-29-2006, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, exlurker. That's a helpful link.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MSKKG
I'm not sure what those who said you would look bad having recs at all the sororities meant. Each sorority only knows the info sent to that particular sorority and should not be shared among the rest.
I'm betting they meant "I hope you don't question this information at all so you will be screwed and I can have the bid you might have gotten if you'd turned in a rec HA HA HA!!"
Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

By all means, send recs (if you can) to all the houses participating in recruitment. You never know which chapter you might fall in love with and you don't want to limit your chances before you even step foot inside the house. Always maximize your options!

Quote:
Originally posted by rhochi2002
Question to the ZTA Ladies would she be considered a legacy to ZTA?
ADPi will consider stepdaughters as legacies, but it's left up to the individual chapter.

At Bama I have only seen a stepdaughter inot given legacy status once. The stepsister was an in house active and their parents had just gotten married a few months prior to recruitment after a whirlwind romance. The active barely knew her stepsister or stepfather and what she did know, she didn't like.

The active requested the PNM not be considered a legacy and the stepmother (the active's mom) didn't pursue it. So we honored the request. Had mom sent in the proper info, I'm not sure what we would have done. Glad we weren't put into that position. Never heard how it went over with the family.