Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,449
2 members and 1,447 guests
amIblue?

Old 09-03-2002, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Texas Alumnae Initiation

Does anyone have information on or experience with alumnae initiation in Texas? I have just recently found out about it and I am so excited. I've gotten EXCELLENT info from CutiePie and have read all the threads. I just wondered about any first-hand info.

I rushed as a sophomore at Texas YEARS ago and did not pledge. I have always been sad that I did not. I know how cut-throat rush is at Texas and at all big Texas schools. I did not know if alum initiation is the same way.

While I am really open to many groups, I have narrowed down my choices to 3 top ones. One was my dream sorority at Texas. The next one - silly reason ahead! - I just loooove their symbol!!! The third one is a group I really respect.

I'm mainly looking for a group that has an active alumnae group in the Fort Worth area and hopefully a collegiate chapter within a reasonable distance.

I'd love any help or comments!

tinydancer
Old 09-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think that the Texas chapters would be any different from the rest in their rules for initiation. Nationally, some groups very rarely initiate alums and others do it quite often. Didn't CutiePie publish a list of those that do and don't?
Old 09-03-2002, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Yes, she did and I used that info to learn more. I just mainly wanted to know if anyone out there had actually gone through alumnae initiation in Texas.

tinydancer
Old 09-04-2002, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Phi Epsilon has two brand new colonies in Texas...one in Kerrville at Schreiner and another in Kingsville at Texas A & M. DPhiE does alumnae initiations quite regularly. Not sure about AAs in Texas, but there are some great alums from the Dallas/Ft.Worth area who are very active.

Iris
Old 09-04-2002, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Texas Alumnae Initiation

The best thing to do would be to contact the alumnae groups in your area that you want to know about. Check them out and ask them about their group and activities. They will probably invite you to some of them. As in college, it's a mutual selection process----they have to be interested in you also. My own organization has to get approval from Headquarters to initiate an alum but usually if the alumnae group asks for it, it happens. We do however, have our alumnae initiations thru the college chapters at the same time as the collegiates.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I think what tinydancer is looking for is more the "climate" on how prospective alumnae initiates viewed, especially in light of the fact that Texas can be quite conservative and a daughter, Mom, Grandma and Great-Grandma could all be legacies to the same sorority and even CHAPTER for that matter.

So, I think she wants to know whether alumnae in Texas would embrace a Prospective Alumna Initiate, or would they be kind of suspicious, etc.? Am I on the right track?

Some alumnae chapter website, you can discern how 'active' they are, if they have a calendar published online, etc.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Yes, CutiePie, that's what I wanted to know. I was going to write a couple of letters to "appropriate parties" and go to thinking. I don't want any local groups to go "whaaat???" when I ask about the process.

CutiePie, I got your pm and will follow through. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-05-2002, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

As far as I know, the climate for alum initiation as to DZ is pretty good in Texas--in fact, a good portion of the alum chapter in Stephenville is alum initiates--your closest DZ alum chapter is in Arlington, with a collegiate chapter at UTA. I don't know how often they do it, but I know most people I speak to are extremely open to the prospect of initiating women who, for whatever reason, were unable to pledge in college. I would be happy to put you in touch with the Area Alum Director who is in Arlington if you would like any info about DZ.

Regardless-good luck to you-I know some folks have not gotten the warmest welcome in some areas (where some folks can't fathom anyone in their alum chapter who wasn't a collegiate) when it comes to this process, but I for one think it is a terrific way to spread our sisterhood & am constantly eye-ing women I meet for potential membership! (alas, I am not in a city with a collegiate chapter...but there is one an hour away, so I still keep my eyes open!).