GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,432
6 members and 1,426 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 06-03-2010, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Columbus Ohio

I will be in Columbus Ohio this weekend for the (don't laugh, please!) Major League Gaming Pro-Circuit Tournament at the convention center. A trip to this very special event was the ONLY thing my son wanted for his birthday so I begrudgingly acquiesced. I intend to spend most of time reading a book and swimming at the hotel pool. However, I could use restaurant recommendations for lunch and dinner.. something a 14 year old boy would enjoy too.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Where are you guys staying? Near the convention center?
Old 06-03-2010, 01:48 PM

Definitely check out the Arena District. This is probably your best bet to stay in the area, unless of course you want Spaghetti Warehouse. Cap City in Grandview is wonderful too. Other than that, maybe one of the restaurants at Easton Town Center? Too bad it's Nick's graduation weekend or I'd come down and sit by the pool with you!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
They have a Coney Island place in the short north. BF and I go there for lunch a lot. There's also a really good Chinese place, Moy's. Eddie George's has pretty good food if you're into the sports/loud type place. Easton has a lot of good places, Cheesecake Factory, there's an Irish Pub that has great food (can't remember the name now though...)
Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

German Village is a good place to go as well. I suggest Katzinger's Deli for lunch or a really casual dinner.

Oh and the Book Loft is close to there if you like to read. It's in an old house and it like a maze- you can get lost wandering through it. It's one of my favorite places in Columbus.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 06-03-2010, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I wasn't laughing about the convention part... moreso the Michigander in Columbus part

KLTC
Old 06-03-2010, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Where are you guys staying? Near the convention center?
The Hyatt Regency Convention Center.. it's attached This way the 14 year old boy can go watch video gamers while I hang out at the pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
I wasn't laughing about the convention part... moreso the Michigander in Columbus part
I know, right? I have no U of M paraphernalia on my car. My license plate is an EMU one though. My son is worried about being in Ohio State country but he has been DYING to go to one of these. He watches them online (they live stream it) for about a year now.

I really can't believe I'm doing this. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

the arena district is worth walking around in, but it's more known for its nightlife. there are a few microbreweries and a few nice restaurants. I'm partial to COSI (Center of Science and Industry, pronounced CO-sigh), it's a great interactive science museum geared towards the younger generations, I bet your son would love it. I second the idea of going to the Short North, but I'm partial to Schmidt's and their giant bavarian cream puffs! I do NOT recommend the Spaghetti Warehouse (just west of dowtown). I have yet to have a good meal there.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I do NOT recommend the Spaghetti Warehouse (just west of dowtown). I have yet to have a good meal there.
I'm not at all a fan of it either, however my teen boys all seem to love the place.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We've been to the COSI in Toledo (which has a new name now.. ) because that's not that far from us! He's going to be into his gaming... I may have to drag him away for meals! Fun stuff..lol
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
There's also this really interesting ice cream place in Short North, Jenni's or something. They have some really different flavors. If you're in Short North I highly recommend taking a peak
Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

If you want to get out the downtown area, I recommend Polaris which is about 15-20 minutes away.

There's lots of places to eat for a variety of budgets. From nice little restaurants/cafes to your chain restaurants like Dave & Busters (if you're child is into playing games) and Cheesecake Factory.

Also within that area is a mall, movie theater, slew of restaurants, comic book store, Magic Mountain and some other stuff that I'm just to sleepy to remember.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I ditto the Short North. It's just north of the Hyatt on High Street. Rigsby's is always a favorite up there. Also, in German Village is Lindey's
Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
German Village is a good place to go as well. I suggest Katzinger's Deli for lunch or a really casual dinner.

Oh and the Book Loft is close to there if you like to read. It's in an old house and it like a maze- you can get lost wandering through it. It's one of my favorite places in Columbus.
Both great choices. I absolutely love going to the Book Loft.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you nearby, Benz?

I have to say, I love the atmosphere right around the convention center! This seems like a great place to just have a get away weekend.