GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,571
0 members and 1,571 guests
No Members online

Old 03-19-2002, 02:30 AM

how do u get great abs?

just wondering how do u get britney-esque abs without paying for a trainer ...just remembered that summer is coming up !is it just doing boring 100s of situps or are there more fun exercises you can do?
Old 03-19-2002, 02:51 AM
UMgirl

In all honesty, 3 words.....

Crunches, Cardio and Time.

You gotta remember Britney Spears does work out alot and have a personal trainer, but shes also dancing countless hours everyday which helps alot too. Also nix the sit-ups and do crunches. While not fully bad sit ups so strain you and dont work as much of the ab as people thing. Crunches do and you should only be able to do 20 in a set and feeling it to be doing it right. If you can do 30+ no stop and not feel anything somethings not right.
I have heard though from various people that belly dancing classes are a great way to work the abs also, since alot of the move concentrate on that area. You can get a video lessons too if you dont have time for the class. :-)
Old 03-19-2002, 02:57 AM

belly dancing? hmm i would have to look into that...i take ballet but unfortunately the only workout i get is below the waist with the legs and all. we do a lot of bending/stretching but it only enhances flexibility, i dont see it doing anything for my abs. im starting my karate class soon and i jokingly told one of the instructors that im sure i can kick high and good but my punches would totally suck coz i have no upper body strength whatsoever.

oh yeah if anyone has tried tae-bo, how did you like it?
Old 03-19-2002, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
LOL you know what I wanna try?!! One of those Abtronic things you know the thing that works out your abs like with no effort !!! lol im soo lazy...I wonder if they would really work.

Nichole
Old 03-19-2002, 04:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Everytime I see the infomercial fo that, I want it more.. I think that it's only a matter of time before I break down an buy it...
Old 03-19-2002, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
LOL me too!!! Its pathetic I know but geez im soo lazy lol! I just dont know if I wanna spend $120 on that damn thing of course ive seen ads for other ones that are like $25 lol hmm I know Im gonna give in and get it one late night lol.

Nichole
Old 03-19-2002, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
Quote:
Originally posted by SparkliiQTMTSU
LOL you know what I wanna try?!! One of those Abtronic things you know the thing that works out your abs like with no effort !!! lol im soo lazy...I wonder if they would really work.

Nichole
Those things are a waste of your money.

THe only way to have your abs show is to lose body fat (and FYI, I think it takes a body fat percentage of approx. 8% for a six-pac to be visible). ABtronic devices don't do that.

UMGirl was also right on target about sit-ups. Those apparently work your hip flexors more than your abs!
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 03-19-2002, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Cardio, Crunches and Diet are the way, and the only way to killer abs. You've got to lose the fat and eat a diet low in sugar to get the definition you're looking for.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My abs kill me after 20 minutes of Pilates, since it is supposed to work your core muscles. Ouch, but so worth it! Your posture improves and your stomach gets used to being pulled in.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Another thing to remember: Most people lose weight from the top down. When you start exercising and eating healthy (eliminate the word DIET from your vocabulary), you'll notice differences in your body, most likely starting with your arms.

Pilates are great, but be careful doing the full roll-up if you have back problems. Get in a good cardio workout at least 3 times a week, and include crunches, both upright and oblique. This video junkie recommends the Firm video 5-Day Abs, which is a compilation of 5 workouts you do on consecutive days. Each workout is only 6-9 minutes, and what's not to like about that?

Stay away from that AbTronic thing. It's a bunch of junk.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by SparkliiQTMTSU

Nichole
I can't believe I'm admitting this, but in a weak moment, I bought the Fast Abs contraption and, trust me, it doesn't work.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

There is NO shortcut to great abs. I'll say it again-- Cardio, Crunches, and Diet.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

The secret to great abs is Beer, Budweiser to be specific. and LOTS of it....
Old 03-20-2002, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

crunches are great - i do 100 in the morning and 100 at night - but be careful - if you do a crunch or situp the wrong way - it can actually make your stomach/abs pooch out
Old 03-21-2002, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

see I dont ever know if Im doing them right or not and my problem is that I get tired before it even does anything

Nichole