Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 849
1 members and 848 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-05-2005, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Hurray You Were Freed By Your Iraqi Captors!

Then you got shot by US forces. Lose 1 turn.

US shoots at journalist

Quote:
ROME (AP) - A freed Italian hostage was injured and an Italian secret service agent killed Friday after a U.S. armored vehicle fired on a car in which they were riding in Iraq, two Italian news agencies reported.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Does it really bother you so much that the American government gets away with so much, or do you genuinely feel the need to whine about every mistake?

Just curious...
Old 03-05-2005, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by RUgreek
Does it really bother you so much that the American government gets away with so much, or do you genuinely feel the need to whine about every mistake?

Just curious...
Voices that question or dessent are vital to a government system that claims to represent the views of the people - not just those that voted for them.

As for the US government getting away with so much... well they do - as a lot that should be highlighted is lost in the partisan crossfire.... simply dismissed as the sour-grapes or attacks of the "other side".

In this case the Italian government demanded a formal apology and investigation - watching the PM in tears said alot - because Rome was in a celebratory mood because of the reporters release - they even lit up the Coloseum in celebration.

This incident may however cause further cracks in the "Coalition of the Willing" as the Italian PM was under fire for his continued support of the US policy in Iraq - and the continued deployment of Italian troops in Iraq. Arguements are now being made for their withdraw from Iraq and the "Coalition".

So not only bad PR - but possibly political fall-out as well...

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 03-05-2005, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MissMonika
Quote:

Just curious...

Pardon the Interuption,

We shot the hostage and Killed the negotiator...

I understand you would like to support our country in all aspects, however, This is a biggie.

Back to your regularly scheduled propaganda.

Monika
Old 03-06-2005, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

There are at least a couple of senarios here:

One would be a group of trigger-happy soldiers who shot up a car.

Another would be a group of soldiers who were worried about their safety and very lives when they felt threatened if the car was speeding toward them and ingnoring warnings.

I think I'll withhold judgement untill we know more about the situation.

I don't like the feeling of smugness I feel reading the stuff above.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

i don't blindly support my country when they screw up, but I guess this one didn't seem to be a biggie to me.

Let's start with the journalist, taking a risky task by going over to a war torn country, in the line of fire, covering the news.

Next, we have her hostage situation, where it could be the last she's ever heard of.

Finally, she is released and in transit to the airport is mistaken for hostile or enemy target.

Seems like maybe there's more to be questioning than just whether the soldiers were randomly shooting at an unknown vehicle. Why wasn't this coordinate with military forces? Or maybe at least alerted them with a sign on the door "Hi, rescued italian journalist, don't shoot." Maybe the fault also lies elsewhere, not just with the big bad cowboy Americans in Iraq...
Old 03-06-2005, 07:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
There are at least a couple of senarios here:

One would be a group of trigger-happy soldiers who shot up a car.

Another would be a group of soldiers who were worried about their safety and very lives when they felt threatened if the car was speeding toward them and ingnoring warnings.

I think I'll withhold judgement untill we know more about the situation.

I don't like the feeling of smugness I feel reading the stuff above.
I agree with DA.

Who were we trying to target and why?

I too am withholding judgement on this one.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by MissMonika
I understand you would like to support our country in all aspects, however, This is a biggie.
Unless you have yet unreleased evidence that proves otherwise, it really is not a biggie. It isn't even close.

The USSR once "accidentally" shot down a full passenger airliner, with a US Congressman aboard. In the grand scheme of things, that wasn't a biggie. I don't see how this is.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I'll hold my judgement until I see the full picture.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the problem is there are people who are too quick to judge on both sides on this board; some seem to revel in every US mistake, while others can't see that mistakes have been made.

I'll hold judgement until more info comes out.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MissMonika
Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
Unless you have yet unreleased evidence that proves otherwise, it really is not a biggie. It isn't even close.

The USSR once "accidentally" shot down a full passenger airliner, with a US Congressman aboard. In the grand scheme of things, that wasn't a biggie. I don't see how this is.
I don't have any unreleased evidence. I did read, however, that the Italian Reporter is disputing the current US version of the situation.

This was a mistake on a large international scale (considering the Italian government went against the public opinion of their people to maintain a military force in Iraq). The question is this: What is going to happen now?
Old 03-07-2005, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
I don't have any unreleased evidence. I did read, however, that the Italian Reporter is disputing the current US version of the situation.

This was a mistake on a large international scale (considering the Italian government went against the public opinion of their people to maintain a military force in Iraq). The question is this: What is going to happen now?
Personally I'm going to hold off on the who did what for a while... because I can assure you it's going to get partisan

I wonder how long it takes for unofficial and official "comments" are made about the reporter being from a Communist paper? I'm going to guess... Monday - Tuesday at the outside...

I can already see the accusations that the military and administration is trying to cover-up a mistake - while conversely attacks made against the reporter for trying to further an anti-American agenda.

So before I come down one way or the other - I'm going to wait for both the AAR and the investigation, in addition to the story from Italy...

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 03-07-2005, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

That's interesting, considering she was on the other side of the line when the dispute ocurred. What the hell does she know about the circumstances that led to the attack. Both sides are lying, plain and simple.

And you mentioned that the negotiator was killed, but I all I read was that the secret service agent trying to protect her was killed. So, it's still a bunch of confusion and misunderstanding, not a huge international crisis as you put it.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And you mentioned that the negotiator was killed, but I all I read was that the secret service agent trying to protect her was killed.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4324445.stm
Quote:
Having negotiated her release, he died as he shielded Ms Sgrena from shots fired towards their vehicle by US forces.
Quote:

Just curious...

Last edited by IowaStatePhiPsi; 03-07-2005 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
I think the problem is there are people who are too quick to judge on both sides on this board; some seem to revel in every US mistake, while others can't see that mistakes have been made.

I'll hold judgement until more info comes out.
Very true. One camp: they could do no right. The other camp: they could do no wrong.