Welcome to our newest member, Miles5566
» Online Users: 1,454
0 members and 1,454 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2002, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool Philanthropies

Of all of the national community projects/programs that bglos participate in, which ones do you feel are most worthy of our attention? Which ones are the least(with all respect to the organizations,that is)? Are there any programs or projects that we do today that really don't help our people? Are there any that we don't participate in that we all SHOULD participate in?
Old 04-19-2002, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Education

Education of our people continues and always will be an important factor in our survival.

-ON-TRACK-reading is power, we have to encourage and insist that kids learn how to read

EAF (I and other chapter members judged a few scholarships the other day from Nationals.) These applicants were from all over the country, white, black, and asian...

I don't have a problem with the programs/projects....
As long as SOMETHING is being done!

Who am I to say what is appropriate or inappropriate for ANOTHER organization?
Old 04-19-2002, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool point of clarification

This post is to ascertain the opinions of chatters on the various national programming of the bglos. It is NOT A COMPARISON OR AN ASSESSMENT OF THE ORGANIZATIONS; it is an assessment of our collective programming, and I'm asking people to look at the programs/projects individually. Are the current programs obsolete? Do they trully improve the lives of African-Americans?
Old 04-20-2002, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I don't know about anyone else. This is solely my opinion. Plus, I don't know how many responses you are gonna get Mr. OA.

I don't think that our (AKA) programs are obsolete. I only mentioned one area, education previously, it STILL is important not only to AA, but "mankind" as well. Our other areas of concern are just as important as education, and they too are important not only in the AA community, but the ENTIRE community.

How much we impact is something else. Is everyone "touched" by what we do...who knows? As long as we can get to someone and assist and educate, I think that says alot.

Do YOU have an issue with the programs (ming) of organizations?
Old 04-20-2002, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Knowledge1922
Quote:
I don't think that our (AKA) programs are obsolete. I only mentioned one area, education previously, it STILL is important not only to AA, but "mankind" as well. Our other areas of concern are just as important as education, and they too are important not only in the AA community, but the ENTIRE community.
I agree with AKA2D'91...especially referring to Education, (how could i not, i am a Sigma Gamma Rho :-)

Here are a few of our national programs in which we are internationally making "GREATER SERVICE, GREATER PROGRESS"

Project Reassurance

The care and protection of children is, first and foremost, a family concern. But when teenagers have babies, the consequences are throughout society. Children born to teenage parents are more likely to be of low birth weight and to suffer from inadequate health care, more likely to leave High School without graduating and more likely to be poor, thus perpetuating a cycle of unrealized potential. Conducted in partnership with the March of Dimes, chapters sponsor Workshops and other activities that assist pregnant teens and educate teen mothers about the importance of pre-natal and post-natal care, and to better understand infant care and child development.

Mwanamugimu (Wah-nah-moo-gee-moo) Project

The Mwanamugimu Project is an essay contest. Its primary goal is to provide an opportunity for students to increase their knowledge of the historical and contemporary development of Africa. Its objectives are to provide the target population with opportunities that (1) allow structured ways to learn about Africa; (2) heighten awareness of African cultural heritage; and (3) improve writing and research skills. The project title, Mwanamugimu, is a proverb form the Republic of Uganda that means "from small acorns come mighty oaks." Chapters sponsor local essay contests that usually include awards programs. Regional contests are also held, with winning essays announced at regional conferences. For more information about The Mwanamugimu Project in your area please contact the International Chairperson, Dianna Davis-Bailey at ddbailey@sgrho1922.org

Program for Africa

A program to provide African women -who produce more than 75% of the food grown on the continent- with grain grinders. Providing thousands of dollars to buy grain grinders for African women to alleviate their backbreaking work, this program is in conjunction with Africare.

Project Wee Savers

This project is designed to develop an awareness of various banking facilities and their available services. The goal of Wee Savers is to allow participants to become knowledgeable of the real life skills of saving and buying stocks and bonds, ranging from ages 6 to 18 years. Participants experience the real life siklls of basic investing, setting specific goals attainable through monitoring and mentoring of money and activities.

OPERATION BigBookBag
A Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority International Project in Partnership with the A.E.A.O.N.M.S., Inc.

It has been recognized that due to a limitation of capabilities, resources and manpower, some homeless shelters, crisis centers and extended care hospitals are not conducive to "studying and learning" on the part of school-aged children who are housed at the facilities. Thus, many of these young boys and girls experience educational problems, which may lead to an overall decline in their academic achievemnent. With this concern in mind, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., through its nation-wide thrust of OPERATION BigBookBag, entered into partnership with the Ancient Egyptian Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Inc., to address this issue. Sorority and Shrine members make available, to selected facilities across the nation, bookbags, notebooks, writing and drawing paper, pencils and pens, dictionaries, thesauri, rulers, glue, construction paper, textbooks, encyclopedia, typewriters, computers and many other needed school items. Made available also through the efforts of both memberships is a nation-wide tutoring and mentoring program designed for the benefit of the children housed at said facilities. The effective and overall implementation of OPERATION BigBookBag serves as an invaluable resource to the children by: (1) Affording children with quick and easy access to reference materials and other studying aids and tools that will help them in their educational endeavors; (2)Providing the children with the means of completing their homework assignments in order that they may remain current and up -to -date on course projects and requirements and (3) Assisting the shelters, centers, schools and hospitals in their efforts to meet some of the educational needs of the children and young adults housed at the facilities.

Sigma Youth Symposium

Sponsored in conjunction with and in commemoration of Sigma Week, the Sigma Youth Symposium focuses on some of the prevalent concerns that negatively impact our youth: drugs, teen violence, abouse, low self-esteem, suicide, teen pregnancy, etc. Held on the second Saturday of March by each Alumnae Chapter, simultaneous Sigma Youth Symposiums address issues that affect teens today.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

When it's DRAMA erebody got something to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
Plus, I don't know how many responses you are gonna get Mr. OA.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the lack of responses makes a sista wonder a few things...

Old 04-23-2002, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Project Alpha is one of the most important projects that we have. As AIDS and other STD's continue to rise in our community more than ever we need to equip young folk with information to help them make good choices about sex, relationships, and responsibility.

IF I had to cut programs I would cut Boy Scouts. I don't think the majority of our folk are Boy Scouts - - - look at the inner city. Of course, I could be wrong but from my neck of the woods most Black folk are not involved in this effort.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree...Project Alpha is one of the most important, however, i do highly support our following programs; I believe they are just as important:

"Go to high school, Go to College":

The "Go-To-High School, Go-To-College" Program, established in 1919, concentrated on the importance of completing secondary and collegiate education as a road to advancement. Statistics prove the value of this extra impetus in making the difference in the success of young African-American men, given that school completion is the single best predictor of future economic success. Through the Go-To-High School, Go-To-College educational initiative, young men receive information and learn strategies that facilitate success. Alpha men provide youth participants with excellent role models to emulate.

"A Voteless people is a Hopeless people":

"A Voteless People is a Hopeless People" was initiated as a National Program of the Fraternity in the 1930s when many African-Americans had the right to vote but were prevented from voting because of poll taxes, threats of reprisal, and lack of education about the voting process. Voter education and registration has remained a dominant focus of the outreach activity for over 65 years. In the 1990s, the focus has shifted to include political awareness and employment, delivered most frequently through town meetings and candidate forums.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

quick question

Is it possible to work within these programs without being a member of a BGLO. They seem very uplifting...