Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,392
1 members and 1,391 guests
No Members online

Old 07-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to MBurden
Question Getting a Sponsor Question

I have narrowed down my AI search to two sororities. I have e-mailed national on both and I am awaiting contact from the local chapters.

My question is both of the e-mailed responses that I have got, say that I have to be sponsored....but how does this happen if you don't know someone who is already in?

One of the two has specifically said that the local chapter should contact me in the very early fall to attend a meeting or another event so I can meet the other ladies. I have been e-mailing her throughout the summer.

I have only recently contacted the other sorority, so I am waiting for a response from the local chapter.

I am just curious as to how this sponsor thing gets handled. Are there folks on the message boards that can help with this or is that a big no-no?

Thanks again everyone...this board is so invaluable!
Old 07-30-2006, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBurden
My question is both of the e-mailed responses that I have got, say that I have to be sponsored....but how does this happen if you don't know someone who is already in?
Hi there!

Welcome to GC! You answered your own question when you stated the following: "One of the two has specifically said that the local chapter should contact me in the very early fall to attend a meeting or another event so I can meet the other ladies."

If you don't already know someone in the organization (a relative, friend, etc), then you may be invited to attend events and meet the ladies.

Quote:
I am just curious as to how this sponsor thing gets handled. Are there folks on the message boards that can help with this or is that a big no-no?
For the most part, this is a no-no as we don't really know you. It's poor form to e-mail random people on the internet and ask them if they'll randomly sponsor you - so, I'd avoid that. It sounds to me like you're on track with the orgs you've contacted already. Go meet the ladies from the alumnae chapter you'd be joining and see how it goes with them. Generally speaking, if it's a good match between you and the chapter, someone will come forward to sponsor you.

Do be sure to read the info threads and other stories in this forum to get a feel for how things go. They will probably answer a lot of your questions.

.....Kelly

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 07-30-2006 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

MBurden,

With the sponsor question I'm thinking you mean are there people on here who can answer that question? (I hope) Sponsorship varies from group to group. The nationals of the groups you've contacted will better be able to answer that. Some require that you already know a member. Others will allow to meet the local group and that local group will make the decision whether or not to sponsor you. Like I said, only the national for your groups can accurately answer that question. Best of luck to you with your search!